What's new

Will Green Energy be Explained/Expanded on in MK11?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
We know from the storyline that Johnny and Cassie are descendants of an Ancient cult that bred warriors to specifically fight against Gods. And in MKX Johnny was able to tap into that power to defeat Shinnok, but at the end so does Cassie but to defeat an even more powerful Shinnok who had even surpassed the power of Gods. A lot of people say it's bad writing or doesn't make sense, and I would agree.

BUT, what if the energy that Johnny and Cassie both tapped into wasn't their own personal strength or power, but the power pool accessible to ALL the descendants of that line of warriors? I'm not sure if they'll revisit this in MK11, maybe in Cassie and Johnny's ladder ending, but I just feel like they could have expanded so much more on that idea and made it really great.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I don't think it needs to be expanded on, honestly? It was pretty clear in MKX. I don't think it's bad writing because they established the fact at the beginning of the story. You can say it's hokey, of course, but the plot in MK is usually pretty hokey kung fu movie stuff.
Yeah, I think the only "bad" thing about it is Johnny Cage somehow not questioning the fact he was shooting green fireballs all his life, but that's kind of fun I guess

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I don't think it needs to be expanded on, honestly? It was pretty clear in MKX. I don't think it's bad writing because they established the fact at the beginning of the story. You can say it's hokey, of course, but the plot in MK is usually pretty hokey kung fu movie stuff.
Well, it's not that clear as to how they tap into that power, and what's the source of the power. It's green energy sure, but is it inside them? Is it universal? Is it coming from a stanky sandwich that Johnny left under his bed? Who knows really.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
It's been brought to my attention that there are three other characters who use green energy. Jade, Nightwolf, and Shao Kahn. 4/5 have now been confirmed canon powerhouses. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, or was one for most of MK's lifespan, but now they might as well commit to it.

Having said that the last thing we need is an in depth midoclorian explanation. Just call it an ancient Outworld magic tied to bloodlines, that was brought over to Earthrealm at some point, and that's as much detail as they could possibly need to go into. Has the additional benefit of giving another reason why Jade was chosen to be Kitana's bodyguard, if Shao Kahn knew the power she had at her disposal.

Last edited:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I think we know enough about it by now, really. Mediterranean warrior cult blessed by the gods, activates when some loved one is in danger, works against former Elder Gods.

So many other powers aren't explained further than "he's a god" or "it's magic". Dunno if it needs to be either. As long the powers are kinda consistent with the characters so Noob can't suddenly shoot a ray of orange light out of his eyes or something like that.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
It's been brought to my attention that there are three other characters who use green energy. Jade, Nightwolf, and Shao Kahn. 4/5 have now been confirmed canon powerhouses. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, or was one for most of MK's lifespan, but now they might as well commit to it.

Having said that the last thing we need is an in depth midoclorian explanation. Just call it an ancient Outworld magic tied to bloodlines, that was brought over to Earthrealm at some point, and voila.
I don't want a whole storyline about it either, just a short explanation of how the power works because even if they showed us, Cassie and Jonny, using it when their loved ones were in danger (triggered by intense emotion), it didn't explain if it was there the whole time and what not.

I don't think they will take the time to explain it in the tower endings or the story. But explaining it in JC's biography in the character viewer could be a good idea to expend/explain the lore.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
The implication for me was that 'in-universe' outside of gameplay he wasn't actually doing that until after the power woke up. We never see him do it in the MK9 story mode.
Don't we? Are you sure? If i was at home Id check, but off the cuff I'd say that we saw him use it. Maybe vs Sindel.

And we definitely see Cassie use it vs Torr, but that could be explained as foreshadowing i guess, since friebds were in danger.