What's new

will Backdashes change, for good or worse?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm curious how would the meta change if NRS decided to ad Invincibility frames on Backdashes on MK10

If this happens, how do you think the game would change, would the backdashes still be canceled by blocking? Or they wouldn't be canceled anymore?

Would it go well with the rest of the game at all? Did you guys ever felt situations in MK9 that a invicibility frames backdash would be needed to avoid a few stuffs in the game?

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Not sure. But you're still guessing/reading on dash or no dash, poke or block. If every char had a similar range poke or normal unlike IGAU it wouldn't matter.

I just hope they'll add intractables to MK10:REO
No but in all seriousness they should go back to MK9 cause invincible backdashes would be weird and I miss dash canceling

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Invincible backdashes wouldn't work in MK9 without changing the dash system. It would majorly expose string gaps in a detrimental way, and would possibly affect playing footsies too much.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
mk10 needs to go back to block button for blocking first. Dash canceling adds so much more depth to the game in terms of setups, combos and spacing.. Injustice really missed out on all of this.. Back to block just doesn't have the same depth. Besides, this is MK, do we really need to appease the streetfighter players again?

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
invincible backdashes + dash cancelling = dumb footsies and dumb neutral game.

I'd rather them not remove dash cancelling either since it's pretty unique to MK

coolwhip

Noob
mk10 needs to go back to block button for blocking first. Dash canceling adds so much more depth to the game in terms of setups, combos and spacing.. Injustice really missed out on all of this.. Back to block just doesn't have the same depth. Besides, this is MK, do we really need to appease the streetfighter players again?
MK will certainly have a block button. But I wouldn't say Injustice missed out (though it's true that it limits creativity for combos). Injustice without a back to block button would not be Injustice. Think about all the oki set-ups, ambiguous cross-ups, corner shenanigans, etc... Most of them wouldn't work with a block button. Even dash cancelling would mess up some of the meta game...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
there were backdashes in MK9? :eek:

:DOGE
there was a good amount of chars that really did had a good backdash, so good to make their neutral and footsie game so relevant, and there were others that was so shitty because it didn't moved them away from the needed space, so their neutral game or defense game ended up being hurt in the process.

To name a few:
Jade, Skarlet and Reptile probably have the worst backdashes of the game, i know there is a few more in the pack with similar shitty range on the backdash.

Kabal, Raiden, Kano, Scorpion, etc had a very good..., but a really good backdash.

Wait, so you guys want one of the things that older players hate about SFIV into MK?
wait, so ppl hate invicibility on backdashes in SFIV?

Last edited:

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I don't think it would work with the MK system. You already don't have to commit to dashes, why make them invincible too? The whole meta would tilt toward cancelling backdashes and punishing the whiff.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
don't worry, it won't be.
I envisioned that back dashing would be a big thing ever since it was in mk9 training mode. It's funny that nobody actually used it in mk9 and it became big in injustice. I'm talking about the double tap backwards. People think that uppercut or njp beats crossovers, when back dashing keeps your opponent in front of you. Sorry for using caps in last post, I am strongly in favor of block button. Thanks for noticing.