What's new

Why the Kang hate

Lou Kang

Noob
I've been playing kang since about a month after release and the amount of hate i get online is absurd....i mean people call him cheap because his bnb is a loop, but once anyone gets even decent at the game bnb execution is pretty much eliminated as a factor. I mean hes got no teleport or stun or really any unique moves...id say strategy wise hes at least middle of the pack, if not in the upper tier of difficulty

Enenra

Go to hell.
I think he is just annoying. The little girl groans and moans while he does his 123 ABCs is just retarded. I love giving Liu Kang a good roundhouse to the face.

And he was a whiny prick in story mode.

Lou Kang

Noob
haha man i looove his mini-war screams between attacks.....though i agree he is a pure bitch in story mode

I've come up with a new combo to use in casuals when people are complaining about the loop:

b312, f12, 12b1, f24 xx bicycle kicks

There's only one b312 in this combo, the one at the start, so if people are talking about the character being really easy to play you can bust this out and then tell them to hold that. The timing on the f12 is somewhat strict; if you do it too early the first punch will hit but the second punch will whiff and you'll drop your combo. You gotta do it like, uh, well basically you have to time it correctly. Like all Liu Kang's midscreen combos you can't do the bicycle kicks if you carry them to the corner. In that scenario you can probably just end it with loops of b312 until they fall out, but I haven't tested it.

Oh I completely forgot to mention that. It does 34%. About the same as his standard bnb, just more difficult. As I said it's not really practical for anything but styling on people.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
they just hating cause he got good zoning and pressure game that's all and they don't know play that matchup....i guess

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
The high pitched battle cries that Liu Kang makes are actually based off of something Bruce Lee used to do. He would shout high pitched like that to freak out his enemies; its really hard to keep focused when your enemy is screaming like a girl. Bruce also said that it helped to maintain his breathing during fights.

Lou Kang

Noob
yeah i can see how that applies to a begginer player but once you have ur bnb down they are all easy to execute....however that may answer my question

I'm going to say it how it is:

Liu Kang was designed for players who don't know how to play MK and for players that don't want to bother with stuff like meter management, position advantage, frame advantage and footsies. Basically, he's an easy to pick up character if you generally suck at the game. Just spam fire balls from far away and mash those 3 buttons up close and you're good to go.

I personally don't understand how anyone can seriously main a character like Liu Kang and not get bored to death.

*puts on shades*

*equips flame shield*

Death

Noob
Kinda agree with Vulcan. When i picked up the game and wanted to learn combos i used Liu and Cage cuz they felt the easiest to pick up for me. Whenever i introduce people to MK i usually turned to Liu Kang for them to pick up because his effective zoning and also if they wanna learn combos his are easy to do....I think thats generally why people hate him is because hes easy to win with at a high level. But I got nothing against him personally.

Lou Kang

Noob
yeah i mean i guess using only 3 buttons would limit the game pretty hard....everyone knows when you introduce that 4th button everything turns to complete chaos, like you guys must have double jointed thumbs to keep up with the complex and highly demanding execution which come with that FOURTH button. I mean come on guys, were talking about a 4 button controller here, the three button mash means nothing

I think thats generally why people hate him is because hes easy to win with at a high level.
I didn't say that lol.

Good luck trying to win at high level if you're main gameplan is to trade 7% projectiles and mash the same string over and over again up close. That's not getting Liu Kang very far. In fact that only works against scrubs that don't know how to block and get around spamming.

Liu Kang is tourney viable for sure but I wouldn't say it's easy to win with him at high levels.

Lou Kang

Noob
yeah thats what i dont get about the easy execution arguement....he doesnt really have any extraordianry/game changing moves that he can rely on to either get out of a tigh spot or slow things down...if your playign against some1 decent uve pretty much gotta be on ur toes the whole time. And by extrordinary im talking about things like ice clone, or ermacs lift, or even a teleport....just something different your opponent has to keep in mind and vary their style, although i guess he does have his parry

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Kinda agree with Vulcan. When i picked up the game and wanted to learn combos i used Liu and Cage cuz they felt the easiest to pick up for me. Whenever i introduce people to MK i usually turned to Liu Kang for them to pick up because his effective zoning and also if they wanna learn combos his are easy to do....I think thats generally why people hate him is because hes easy to win with at a high level. But I got nothing against him personally.
Easy combos? Effective zoning? Spammable strings and pokes? Are you sure you are not confusing Mileena with Liu Kang? LOL.

On a serious note, Kang is not easy to win with at a high level at all. He has some very difficult match ups.

Espio

Kokomo
I wouldn't call him cheap , but he is easy to use from my experience.

I just hate how annoying he sounds with his screaming and groans....he's almost as bad as Skarlet....lol.

The only thing I liked about him was when he called out Raiden in story mode and his creeper intro taunt where he's eye ballin' you with his "show me what you can do" shenanigans, I laughed about that when I first heard it.

Liu Kang is much more likeable in this game though and he has a cool costume and gameplay, but I'm not going to lie that he irks me a bit for his story and noises, not because I think he's cheap.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
The high pitched battle cries that Liu Kang makes are actually based off of something Bruce Lee used to do. He would shout high pitched like that to freak out his enemies; its really hard to keep focused when your enemy is screaming like a girl. Bruce also said that it helped to maintain his breathing during fights.
Well, you learn something even if it's not MK related on TYM every day. LOL

But to answer your question: I do believe it's because of his low starter and overhead options. Simple answers to a simple question.

Its because of those Fisher-Price looping combos lol. Kang is a good character but that's pretty much all anyone does with him online.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Im an ermac player and fighting liu kang is my favorite match up.
Hes a challenge, easy combos but i feel its such a balanced match up and makes me go on the offensive and defensive in the same match. People that bitch about him are just bad