What's new

why jump in punch

LOCO

DADDY BARAKA
their predictable, and can be punished
what advantage other than extra damage do they have f any?
and crossups???

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
...are you kidding me?

Dude, cross-ups are very, very effective. Aside from raising damage for a combo, they assist you with pressure tactics and also guaranteeing you a combo if you manage to jump over a projectile and get within a range close enough to reach them. If you try to block the cross-up, you're usually caught in offensive pressure and will be struggling to get out.

A logical route to take would be to try to jump away, as you'd take less damage from one jump-punch rather than standing there blocking...but with some characters you could get caught in an anti-air combo if they're smart, like say Kitana for example. Cross-ups have become a universal and effective tactic in this game.

But you are right to say that they are very unsafe and punishable if they become predictable. However, don't expect a smart player to be predictable with it. As Sao told me, the big names have kept a limit to their cross-ups and jumping because there are many counter tactics for those who like to stay in the air. To provide a list, you might be able to jump-kick them, hit them with a projectile, use an armored move (like Rain's Enhanced Super Kick), or combo the shit out of them if you bait out a jump-in punch and get it to whiff.

All the same, don't underestimate them. It takes a lot of patience and skill to be able to anticipate jump-in punches...otherwise they're a deadly threat.

Justice

Noob
Remember that from the air you have at least two options: punch and kick. Both have different tells, both have different timings. If you're spamming jp then yeah, you're about to get the whuppin you deserve.

As was mentioned, a successful jp stuns your opponent and is a full combo starter. Also, let's use this Sonya BnB for an example: 114 ms b2 b21f2 114 ms b2. Done from the ground as notarized, it does 28%. Start it with a jp and the damage goes to 32%. An extra 4% for one punch isn't of interest to you?

It's like asking why toss fans with Kitana when most can simply jump over it and kombo me to oblivion. The rewards are worth the risk.

LOCO

DADDY BARAKA
na i ain't kidding u lol

so the advantage has to deal with pressure huh?
i've beat down these jump in attempts more than often, dats y i asked
but i rarely use it myself, i guess it does have it's benefits though

LOCO

DADDY BARAKA
Remember that from the air you have at least two options: punch and kick. Both have different tells, both have different timings. If you're spamming jp then yeah, you're about to get the whuppin you deserve.

As was mentioned, a successful jp stuns your opponent and is a full combo starter. Also, let's use this Sonya BnB for an example: 114 ms b2 b21f2 114 ms b2. Done from the ground as notarized, it does 28%. Start it with a jp and the damage goes to 32%. An extra 4% for one punch isn't of interest to you?

It's like asking why toss fans with Kitana when most can simply jump over it and kombo me to oblivion. The rewards are worth the risk.
4% isn't worth a full combo...
i guess... its situational, i gotta mess around with it because like i said
to me, they've been punishable, so i guess... its more situational

Yeah I would say its situational as well depending on who your playing. Characters that hit hard for almost nothing would be a good reason to use jump in punches. Especially if you don't hit as hard, you want every chance you can get to to accumulate as much damage as possible. That 4% might be the deciding factor on ending of that round or match.

Justice

Noob
It's the risk we all take. You aren't gonna land 60+% kombos without leaving yourself a little open if you mess up or if your oppenent sees it coming. Everyone has their safe moves and their unsafe moves. The difference between a noob and a champ is knowing what to use when.