What's new

Why is the Musik so lackluster?

Just look at the character selection screen. The music is so lackluster and low key, I don't even know what it sounds like. I simply can't remember any of it. Now compare it to the character selections creen of let's say UMK3 or MK4. That music was epic. It pumped you up big time and got you ready for some epic battles. The same with the music during the actual matches. I don't notice most of it most of the time. In the old games it aggravated you and got your blood pumping. I noticed this trend started back in the day with MK9 and to some extend even in MKD. Why the drastic change in music style and why ain't Dan Fording doing the music anymore?

I really miss the cheesier vibe of earlier titles, you can hear a lot of the industrial from MK3 era in Black Market Alley round 1, but that's just about it unfortunatelly. The franchise has been taking itself too seriously over the past games, consequently serving us bland music with no presence unlike tracks from KI or SFV.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
It sounds like stuff that belongs in a superhero franchise and it has since MK9 tbh. MK9 got a slight pass because all of the stage music were remixes of the originals (albeit worse), but the main menu theme of MK9 is where it begins from really (if you ignore MK vs DC but I mean, that had superheroes so it’s justified in sounding that way).

I implore anybody to listen to the character select music of MKDA, MKD and then MK11 and tell me it’s not gone downhill and lost what made it unique.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Their shitty ambient tracks are the worst. Even the new Tournament stage, which is a remix of the MK theme, has points where it just fades out and loses all adrenaline.

HOW DO YOU MAKE THE MORTAL KOMBAT THEME BORING?!?

MK9 Armory bumped, but other than that NRS hasn't made a single great track since Midway. The MK11 theme was halfway decent at first, but they recycled that shit into the main menu theme, character select, countless stingers in Story Mode and THREE of the fucking stages. Get the clown who works on the music the fuck out of there man.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I made this same sort of thread a while back. I miss the iconic themes, as well.

Having said that, I think it's clearly done on purpose. The sound design in these NRS games is absolutely without equal. I think they want you to focus on that while playing, as opposed to having music that drowns out amazing shit like Shao Kahn's hammer smashing skulls.

It would be really cool if they released a DLC pack with a reworked soundtrack. Another option would be to do what Tekken 7 did and just put all the music from past games in and give you the option to change all the background music to your liking.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
The fact that music changes during each round probably doesn't help. I honestly don't remember any single tune from the game except for The Fightclub round 2, or maybe round 3, im not sure. A few days ago someone posted here some old competitive matches from MKA, being played on a small TV and recorded with an old camera. The first thing that I noticed was the music, I could actually hear it.

PS I would like to say I'm disappointed that they changed The Courtyard's theme, but since I can't hear it, I'm not really sure that they did.

I made this same sort of thread a while back. I miss the iconic themes, as well.

Having said that, I think it's clearly done on purpose. The sound design in these NRS games is absolutely without equal. I think they want you to focus on that while playing, as opposed to having music that drowns out amazing shit like Shao Kahn's hammer smashing skulls.

It would be really cool if they released a DLC pack with a reworked soundtrack. Another option would be to do what Tekken 7 did and just put all the music from past games in and give you the option to change all the background music to your liking.
This needs to happen asap!

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Because NRS has a reputation to live up to: Having the worst music in fighting games.
They think they're being professional and cool with their orchestral music like you see it in big blockbuster movies, but fighting games aren't movies. Orchestral music doesn't work. We need Killer Instinct level music for Mortal Kombat.

Lun

proud TERF!
I agree 100%. What happened to the memorable themes of the original trilogy? The music's so mediocre and forgettable now, it's like elevator music.

You are all sleeping in MK11' music.

Go to audio settings
-Turn music level up to 100
-Set every other sound setting to 40, except dialog at 55.
-Increase the master level of your tv/speakers.
-Enjoy.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
I like fighting games with fast paced beats, whether its techno or rock music. Ambience just doesn't get me pumped.