What's new

Why is Sub-Zero's Dive Kick (Diving Glacier) punishable with an Up Block? The attack is a mid, not an overhead...

Basically the title, why this love is punishable with an Up Block? It's not an overhead, it's a mid, for example Kung Lao's Dive Kick is also a mid and isn't punishable with an Up Block, the block advantage on a regular block or an up block is the same but for Sub-Zero's attack is like -10 frames more on up block than a regular block...

To make it clear, I am talking when you touch on the same spot, I know the values vary because of the place you land the kick, the higher you land it the higher is the block advantage but on Sib-Zero's dive kick if you land it on the highest spot for example, if they regular block it it's like -18 or sonething like that but if they up block it's like -27 or something like that, the same for every other spot, regular block is one value, up block is -10 or so frames, meanwhile on Kung Lao's Dive Kick the values are always the same no matter if you regular block it or up block it.

Hell, just to test it, if you go to the training mode and tell the dummy to Up Block, he will only try to block overheads, all other attacks he won't even block but on Sub-Zero's dive kick he will up block it, now try it with Kung Lao, he will eat the dive kick and not up block it...

There are any other non overhead attacks that are punishable on up block other than this one from Sub-Zero?

For balance. They updated this in the latest patch I believe. And if you block kung Lao's divekick it's a full combo punish. No up block needed. You can also up block Sonya's leg Grab and it is also a mid.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Not sure why you expect us to have an answer, like we didn't make the game you'd need to ask whoever made that decision lol

Making up block a mechanic against overheads and just throwing in a few random mids it works agaunst too is weird though, making it punishable on flawless block instead would make more sense

if you think subs dive kick being up blockable is strange what do you say about quan chi standing 4 being upblockable then,its a high lol

Chubbuddy

The Quirkiest
Up blocking is supposed to work against jump attacks and physical aerial attacks as well, at least that's what I gathered. I believe they intentionally made some moves up-blockable like Sonya's leg grab because it's a relatively safe launcher and they wanted to add a counterplay to that. Some of these moves are just up-blockable so there's counterplay to them, that would be my guess.