What's new

Why is reptile's forward grab not being talked about more?????

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ok, Reptile has been my main since day one. I have been doing some things with him for a while now that I have not seen posted in any forums on here or any guides that mention this either.

First lets get clear that reptile is only one of the few characters in the game who has two completly different set up's of his grabs. Most characters netural and forward grabs have the same purpose, just one throws them behind you and the other one throws them in front of you. However, Reptile on the other hand has two completly different grabs.

Reptiles netural grab is his zoning grab. It throws the opponent full screen, causes an untechable knockdown, and sets them up for forceballs and acid spit making the opponent have pressure on wake up from full screen. Now this is somewhat of a character specific stragety. Example: Your fighting smoke, you grab him, send him full screen, shoot a fast forceball, smoke does his wake-up shake attack, reptile takes damage. So this stragety can not be used against every single character effectively, but is can be very good in certain match ups.

Ok, now to the main subject, Reptiles forward grab. Reptiles forward grab is his pressure grab. It throws the opponent roughly half screen, causes an untechable knockdown, and puts them in range for slide and elbow dash. Now to the meat of the subject. If you time it perfectly you can elbow dash after Reptile's forward grab and end up on the other side of the opponent before they can get up because of the untechable knockdown. Example: I was fighting nightwolf and whenever I would do my forward grab and then elbow dash I would always end up on the other side of him. If he did his any of his wake up attacks they all would always wiff giving me free offence. You can even keep linking forward grab-elbow dash, forward grab-elbow dash, over and over and over until they tech break it or find a way to stop it. Now this is again somewhat of a character specific stragety. Sub-zero's ice clone on wake-up will stop your elbow dash dead in it tracks after the forward grab, where his slide will wiff, so be careful. The timing for this is very sensitive, almost down to the frame sensitive. It takes practice, but pay close attention to reptiles recovery frames and get the feels of when you can input the command for elbow dash and you will eventually get it. I guess it is kind of similar to learning his njp of his elbow dash.

There is alot more I could go into as far as my own stragtey and everything like that, but I have gave you the basics of what I know and just wondered why people like tom brady, reo, and chris G have not mentioned this. Is it really not a viable stragety for reptile or has it just not been discovered???????????

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I don't think anyone knows about it besides a few. I never even knew about it. Hmm... :)

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Nice find dude can't wait to get home and try this out.

Another set up for this if you do a charged fastball after this throw and then elbow dash after it because of the pushback on a blocked ex fastball you'll be at perfect elbow dash whiff to keep the pressure going.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ya, I have been doing this for a while now. I sent a private message to both Tom Brady and REO to see what they think. They are at EVO so I have not heard back yet.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I had also done some more testing. Baraka's chop chop and his spin attack will both hit you. Kung lao EX spin will wiff but his regular spin will hit (inconsistant). All of Ermac's and Johnny Cage's wake up attacks will wiff. I have more research do. You guys do the same, and I will keep you posted.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Nice find dude can't wait to get home and try this out.

Another set up for this if you do a charged fastball after this throw and then elbow dash after it because of the pushback on a blocked ex fastball you'll be at perfect elbow dash whiff to keep the pressure going.

I had not thought of that. I will try that tonight. Seems like we are leveling up from each other. P.S. I saw your reptile on valley stream monsters last night. Very nice.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Tried this out and man people thought the NJP combo timing was tricky lol

I found a visual cue for this at least it works for me. When the opponent hits the ground he bounces off the ground and then his feet follow and hit last. Try to dash as soon as the feet hit the ground. Works for me:headbang:

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Tried this out and man people thought the NJP combo timing was tricky lol

I found a visual cue for this at least it works for me. When the opponent hits the ground he bounces off the ground and then his feet follow and hit last. Try to dash as soon as the feet hit the ground. Works for me:headbang:
I am glad you were able to get it to work. Ya, my visual key is reptiles hands. They are the last thing to stop moving so thats what I go by, but ya, the timing is really tricky, but it can be done. Congrats RapZiLLa I am glad I could share the news. I have been using this for months, just wondered why nobody else was using it.

New update Raidens EX lightning will stop you. If you time it fast enough you can block it but it prevents you from attacking Raiden because of the behind lighting bolt.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ok was in training mode and Smoke can get out of this very easily, especially if he has meter. Smoke is if I am not mistaken is the only character in the game who can move both forward and backward with his specials (smoke forward and away.) No other character in the game can move backwards using a special move and because smoke has a special that moves both forward and backward so it is impossible for him too wiff on this, either way it will come out. Smokes smoke forward/away are invincible on wake-up, but if he uses a regular smoke forward/away you can punish with elbow dash after the 8 frames of invincibility. However, if Smoke uses his EX smoke forward/away he is completly safe and cannot be touched at all so don't waste your time.

Back to the lab.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ok, just got my private message back from tom brady. He said that it is a mix up where both characters have several options. If they try the wake-up attack the majority of the cast will wiff, but every character can just stay laying down on the ground and then do a roll tech. So, it's a guessing game, if the opponent tries a wake-up attack most of the them will miss giving Reptile free offence, but they could always just stay on the ground and read you. So, in my eyes if you are fighting a opponent that likes to do wake-up attacks consitantly they will fall in to this trap. When they learn to stay on the ground then you can go into guessing games. Very interesting!!!!