What's new

Why is no one talking about how bad anti-airs are in this game?

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Between all last recent 3 titles, this one has the worst AA system, or simply the jumpins are too strong. Either way, defender is fucked. What I also don't like, is when there is a cross up, the grounded model is not switch side in time to s1, or d1. This is pathology A grade.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Between all last recent 3 titles, this one has the worst AA system, or simply the jumpins are too strong. Either way, defender is fucked. What I also don't like, is when there is a cross up, the grounded model is not switch side in time to s1, or d1. This is pathology A grade.
This is definitely not true. MK11 AAs are better than both MKX and Injustice. You can actually jab AA more consistently than either game, and d2’s actually work, unlike before.

kcd117

Noob
This is definitely not true. MK11 AAs are better than both MKX and Injustice. You can actually jab AA more consistently than either game, and d2’s actually work, unlike before.
You can't anti-air jab consistently with at least 3/4 of the cast and D2s only work for half of the cast. MKX had shitty anti-airs and broken jump ins but injustice 2 had good ones. MK11 has some of the most obnoxious jump-ins and by far the least amount of anti-air options due to the lack of the MKX's broke-ass "fuck it, I'll just armor" technique.

There is no way to deny there is a problem. Anti-airing is such a fundamental part of fighting games and I don't know of a single game where the highest level players only anti-air 1/5 jump-ins in a major top 8.

Reactions: Zgf

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You can't anti-air jab consistently with at least 3/4 of the cast and D2s only work for half of the cast. MKX had shitty anti-airs and broken jump ins but injustice 2 had good ones. MK11 has some of the most obnoxious jump-ins and by far the least amount of anti-air options due to the lack of the MKX's broke-ass "fuck it, I'll just armor" technique.

There is no way to deny there is a problem. Anti-airing is such a fundamental part of fighting games and I don't know of a single game where the highest level players only anti-air 1/5 jump-ins in a major top 8.
I'm pretty sure it's just the jump kick normals that are broken, as anti-airing everything else works exceptionally well in this game.

I wouldn't change the aa's at all, I'd just tone down the jump kicks (and their block adv) and everything will be fine.

kcd117

Noob
I'm pretty sure it's just the jump kick normals that are broken, as anti-airing everything else works exceptionally well in this game.

I wouldn't change the aa's at all, I'd just tone down the jump kicks (and their block adv) and everything will be fine.
That would work. With an honorable mention to Kitana's jump 2 bc that is the most ridiculously scrubby jump in this game by a mile.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter

I was referring to MK9, MKX and MK11 - sorry my bad, for not making that clear.

I can't really get into d2 discussion, as I was never really a d2 fan boy.

Now I had personally almost 8/10 success in other games with poke AA system. Unless it was character specific, I can't agree with you. I believe the difference in opinion may come from personal experience, which in your case, you clearly, were either mashing, or had but reaction - which is fine, by the way. I was in your shoes, years ago.

There are plenty of things I don't know, and rarely I participate in discussions, but when it comes to AA'ing I can safe say, I lost a huge part of my life, mastering optimal options, and obtaining high success ratio.

But again, this is very subjective opinion, and will vary from user to user.