What's new

Why is Nightwolf so underplayed?

D-MyzE

Noob
Is there a reason that Nightwolf isn't played very much? I watch plenty of streams and tournament videos and it feels like there aren't any high-level players repping him. I mean sure, maybe compared to Baraka or Sheeva or some of the really low-tier characters he is played as much, but seeing as many high-level players have claimed he is one of the best in the game you would think he would have a much larger player base. Not to mention he has as unblockable move, an anti-zoning move, a spammable charge move, and a shitload of safe strings.

Any ideas? Or am I crazy? :confused:

He has a bit of a learning curve to him and i know his combos are a pain to do with a standard xbox controller (ps3 controller is a different story) but other than that i really don't know

I've always thought the same thing. Everyone claimed he was Tier S, but I have yet to see this to be true.

My reasoning that no one really uses him is because:

1. There aren't many high level players maining him and there's very little high level play videos of him. If NW had a Tom Brady or Justin Wong name associated with him, he would definitely be a lot more popular.
2. He has one of the highest learning curves and isn't noob friendly.
3. He move set and play style isn't flashy like Smoke or Scorpion.

To be honest, I don't want him to be popular since my other main, Reptile, became too common with ChrisG winning tournaments with him. I can't speak too much for the offline scene, but PS3 online, after playing over 2500 matches, I've played maybe about 50 matches against NW. And out of those 50 matches, I've seen only 1 or 2 people main him.

IMO, he's not S Tier. He's probably a mid A tier character.

I agree that he isn't S tier. On paper, it definitely looks as if he would be S tier, but that isn't the case.

That said, he is still dangerous as hell, and is an incredibly solid character.

Yeah he really is a great character...there were a few people who played him at Evo and you can find their vids on youtube and such. One of the best things about NW imo is his guaranteed EX lightning after a shoulder charge hits which leads into a pretty good combo when you include the shoulder charge damage. I didnt see any of the people at Evo using that trap though which was strange. And also, I didnt know he was high on the learning curve. And im not just being a jerk because I know that some characters are more difficult than others, but Ive always thought his bnbs were pretty easy and his abilities were relatively straight forward. But I guess now that I think about it maybe I did have some trouble using him when I first started playing. Anyways....lets see more NWs!!!!

His sweep isn't safe that's why! Well actually its because whenever people do use him they spam the shoulder and none of his other moves so people low poke and uppercut him to death so scrubs say "LMFAO THIS GUY IS TEH SUXXOR IMMA PLAY SCORPS DATZ MY HOMMIEEE!" *Teleport spam uppercut RANDOM SPEAR*

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Yeah he really is a great character...there were a few people who played him at Evo and you can find their vids on youtube and such. One of the best things about NW imo is his guaranteed EX lightning after a shoulder charge hits which leads into a pretty good combo when you include the shoulder charge damage. I didnt see any of the people at Evo using that trap though which was strange. And also, I didnt know he was high on the learning curve. And im not just being a jerk because I know that some characters are more difficult than others, but Ive always thought his bnbs were pretty easy and his abilities were relatively straight forward. But I guess now that I think about it maybe I did have some trouble using him when I first started playing. Anyways....lets see more NWs!!!!
I went to evo with nw. I also used eh lightning traps. But past pools my matches were not on stream or recorded. You will find teainabag who used nw but he didn't know about the lightning traps till I showed him at evo. I'll have matches up soon for you to watch.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Why he's underplayed? while he is a very good character, he's not a ninja and i personally find him boring to use...

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Honestly, I think his primary costume sucks (lose the damn vest, you hippy), and his secondary costume is underwhelming. If they have him a decent third costume, I'm sure you'd see a lot more people giving him a chance.