What's new

Question Why is his name Shazam and not Captain Marvel?

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Does it bug anyone else that they named him Shazam when that was actually the wizard's name? I dunno, kinda just seems like they didn't bother caring on this one...

RYX

BIG PUSHER
It wasn't that at all. Marvel ( the comic company ) apparently had an issue with it, and they eventually just renamed him Shazam.

This is only from what I know, I could be wrong.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
As RYX said, it was a legal thing with Marvel. They didn't have a choice, plus I kinda like the name shazam more. It's almost like Billy is carrying on the name so that it may live for eternity. :)

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

fischbong

Rock Strongo
DC was not allowed to call him Captain Marvel on their comic book covers. So they just wrote Shazam on it. The character was still called Captain Marvel inside the books. Since the New 52 he is just called Shazam, even in the books. I think that's why they chose Shazam over Cpt. Marvel. It's the way he's called now.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Shazam is a comic book character created by Bill Parker and C. C. Beck for Fawcett Comics. He is an ancient wizard (Whiz Comics #2 gives his age as 3,000 years) who gives young Billy Batson the power to transform into the superhero Captain Marvel. Because DC Comics has billed Captain Marvel's adventures under the name Shazam! since 1973, the superhero is often mistakenly referred to by his mentor's name. Because of this, in 2012 DC officially changed Captain Marvel's name to Shazam.

fischbong

Rock Strongo
I still call him Captain Marvel. That's who he is lol.
I started reading comics way too late so I'm just going with Shazam. Though the original name makes more sense, I think.
Since we know there's gonna be a Trinity War SL starting this summer which will most likely lead to Shazam's own series I wonder what they'll do with the rest of the Marvel Family's names.

Because Marvel Comics trademarked their Captain Marvel comic book during the interim between the original Captain Marvel's Fawcett years and DC years, DC has used the trademark Shazam! to promote the property since 1972, instead of the name "Captain Marvel". Consequently, Captain Marvel himself has often been referred to as "Shazam", leading to DC to rename the character as such with their New 52 relaunch in 2012.

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
I started reading comics way too late so I'm just going with Shazam. Though the original name makes more sense, I think.
Since we know there's gonna be a Trinity War SL starting this summer which will most likely lead to Shazam's own series I wonder what they'll do with the rest of the Marvel Family's names.
Isnt it obvious?
Shazam Jr.,Mary Shazam and Uncle Shazam coming 2014!

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I always thought Captain Marvel was lame as fuck. Hoods and cooler names make everything better.

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
I do like the name Shazam better, it just didn't fit with his actual story. I understand why they had to do it, it just lacks continuity

sea_guy

Monitor
His name's been Captain Marvel for 70+ years, they only renamed him for the New 52 so they'd stop having to explain to the lowest common denominator why the book wasn't named directly after the superhero it stars. I think this is ridiculous, it's like trying to cater someone who's confused that "Action Comics" isn't named "Superman", but Marvel family books have never done very well at DC, so it's part of an effort to curb confusion and "reboot" the character fresh.

To me this sounds about as silly as rebooting Superman by calling him "Krypton", but whatever. Geoff Johns hasn't had a chance to flesh out his New 52 version yet, but the hero who tore it up in Kingdom Come, JLA, and Final Crisis will always be named Captain Marvel, so that's who I'll remember him as.

You can call him by his ez-bake corporate name, but continuity aside I do think there's something's a bit off about a superhero constantly yelling out their own name :p He gets his power from the wizard, not his own magical narcissism. I guess it works for The Hulk, lol, but in an endearing way.

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
Well, duh. Could have thought about that. :D
In all honesty if and only IF they decide to add the other members of the Marvel family(I rather they dont) here it how it would most likely be.
-Uncle Marvel deleted from continuity(No need for this character at all).
-Captain Marvel Jr. should be named Captain Thunder as a throwback to Shazam's original fight with Superman as well as his Flashpoint incarnation.
-Mary Marvel can stay like that,I dont see how her name is a problem.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I thought the guy in Marvel was named Captain Mar-Velle or something like that? Still close, so I guess there's that problem.