What's new

Combo Video - Aftershock Why I think aftershock is one of the games best zoners

Cooljaxx

Mkx is the name , Mix is the game
alrighty guys, for the past few weeks I've been labbing tremors IaQ and playing @OmGxBdON , and I've noticed that it's very easy for someone to get zoned out by aftershock tremor. Now I will state why I think aftershock is close to being one of the best zoners.

Argument 1: Guarnteed OTG after EX bf2 and EX bf4 (Found by DsvKayy9)

Now, the video shows how after the EX bf2 and bf4 the opponent Isun able to move because of how massively plus the 2 are thanks to the amount of active frames, boosting how plus is it fron full screen.

Argument 2: fullscreen Space and air control and Unbreakable Combos

In the video above it shows how much control of the air and ground tremor can have. He is able to punish a character for trying to jump foward by delaying the instant air dd1 to hit before they touch the ground, and how much space IAQ covers aswell.

Argument 3: the ability to anti air and control an opponent running in using Ex and regular up rock throw, and his f4

the video shows how tremor can anti air even some of the best jump ins using up fist , b2, and up rock easily. And this wasn't mentioned in the video but you can also use his f4 to control space. It is a 13f mid and if spaced correctly will only be -7.(regular -14)

Tell me what you guys think! Open to criticism and share your opinions and ideas!

@OmGxBdON @God Confirm @DanableLector @General M2Dave @dennycascade @RM xRagnarökx @marietta1200 @STB Boba Grimes @Tremor mains
Addons:
OmgxBdon-
After a midscreen combo end with db1 and do gaurenteed dd1. After bf4 connects do dd1. After a f4 connects. Do dd1 after air quake sometimes. And just mix it up when opponents full screen.

Gawd Confurm :)rolleyes:) : After Bf4 midscreen and fullscreen you can IAQ for a Unbreakable combo.

Last edited:

Cooljaxx

Oh yes I forgot to mention! Tremor can also use his flash parry t beat out a lot of jumpins if Those 3 options aren't working.or if th opponent is gonna run in and do long range attacks (AKA alien) you can flash parry and go back to zoning.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Crystalline.

Safe. Armored. Launcher. Bro.

In all seriousness, I am still very confident that Crystalline is Tremor's best variation, but Aftershock could be better in some match ups (i.e., Jason, Kano, and Sonya to name a few).

I need to level up my Aftershock in case we get those buffs.

Cooljaxx

Crystalline.

In all seriousness, I am still very confident that Crystalline is Tremor's best variation, but Aftershock could be better in some match ups (i.e., Jason, Kano, and Sonya to name a few).

Oh yeah DEFINATLY agree with the crystalline is the best variation. I'm saying that I think Aftershock is more for MU that involve zoning and that he may be one of the best zoners.

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
alrighty guys, for the past few weeks I've been labbing tremors IaQ and playing @OmGxBdON , and I've noticed that it's very easy for someone to get zoned out by aftershock tremor. Now I will state why I think aftershock is close to being one of the best zoners.

Argument 1: Guarnteed OTG after EX bf2 and EX bf4 (Found by DsvKayy9)

Now, the video shows how after the EX bf2 and bf4 the opponent Isun able to move because of how massively plus the 2 are thanks to the amount of active frames, boosting how plus is it fron full screen.

Argument 2: fullscreen Space and air control and Unbreakable Combos

In the video above it shows how much control of the air and ground tremor can have. He is able to punish a character for trying to jump foward by delaying the instant air dd1 to hit before they touch the ground, and how much space IAQ covers aswell.

Argument 3: the ability to anti air and control an opponent running in using Ex and regular up rock throw, and his f4

the video shows how tremor can anti air even some of the best jump ins using up fist , b2, and up rock easily. And this wasn't mentioned in the video but you can also use his f4 to control space. It is a 13f mid and if spaced correctly will only be -7.(regular -14)

Tell me what you guys think! Open to criticism and share your opinions and ideas!

@OmGxBdON @God Confirm @DanableLector @General M2Dave @dennycascade @RM xRagnarökx @marietta1200 @STB Boba Grimes @Tremor mains
U should also add that after most knockdowns full screen u get pop a dd1 for full screen pressure that heightens his zoning.

Tremors zoning is not like a traditional zoner. Its different but it works. Ik that in this gane zoning and defense isnt a strong point because its so easy for characters to get in easily, but tremor comes at in a different way.

U have to be smart and call out air to airs to stuff your air quake and not be so quick to do an air quake when u should be patient and just do a rolling stone.

U cant keep someone out forever it is possible tho. Tremors zoning game comes down to this. Eventually someone will get in and its at that point u have to make the right read to send them full screen. You have to do that a couple times to win a round its not easy but it works.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Explain what you meant by this please?
I think it means that do dd1 and it's a move that makes the opponent have to jump or blockt he dd1. If that block that's free pressure. If they jump hit them with the air to air and full combo. I think dd1 is blockable. I don't aftershock much

OmGxBdON

Explain what you meant by this please?
After a midscreen combo end with db1 and do gaurenteed dd1. After bf4 connects do dd1. After a f4 connects. Do dd1 after air quake sometimes. And just mix it up when opponents full screen.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Is it chrome making this black boxes?

Some characters have strong zoning that air DD1 really minimizes and some characters without good counter zoning will have to deal with some nasty projectile barrages from Aftershock. In theory dd1 can punish jumps on reaction where the opponent isn't in range to counter attack. And between his ground pound, boulders and delayed quake, you're gonna be inclined to jump at times unless your char has an easy answer. He also get's to do gimmicky things with jumps, a jump back dd1 can afford you some respect and he can even throw out a 1 or 2 in the air and then go for the DD1. He can just go for the low instead of a jump in punch, etc. It's kind of like a dive kick that you have to respect at near full screen. His f1 string covers so much space so quickly as well so you can make use of that. His db1 is a solid spacing tool as well, you don't get the crystal frames but the hitbox is useful. And then some characters have slow armor, or none at all, knocking away some of the value of Flex armor and raising the value of up rock and ground dd1. It can be strange to convert off of them and whatnot but he does have quite a few HTBs with dd1 or just some chip strings.

I'd also say he's one of the best characters in the game to be at full screen low HP endgame situations, he's slippery and dd1 will whiff punish to a full combo if you have a the meter. There's a shade of Kitana to the variation with the keep away. Crystal's Flex armor just dominates some matchups, is useful in many and great armor moves are always great.

Just to share my thought process, take Hish Qu Ten(just using it as example, feel free to share your thoughts on the MU), I'd say Aftershock does better to minimize HQT's strength, which is the midscreen zoning. Besides the obvious value of Crystal's shatter, Crystalline can use Flex armor to go complete ham on Predator, just meaty him properly and you avoid plasma barrage, and flex armor will take care of scimitar stab. But the thing is, you don't need flex armor to minimize those wakeup attacks, Tremor can setup easy meterless up rocks combos which will break his scimitar stab and meaty the plasma barrage. So for corner pressure the flex armor isn't that important at all. So I could definitely see Aftershock being better in that MU.

Cooljaxx

Some characters have strong zoning that air DD1 really minimizes and some characters without good counter zoning will have to deal with some nasty projectile barrages from Aftershock. In theory dd1 can punish jumps on reaction where the opponent isn't in range to counter attack. And between his ground pound, boulders and delayed quake, you're gonna be inclined to jump at times unless your char has an easy answer. He also get's to do gimmicky things with jumps, a jump back dd1 can afford you some respect and he can even throw out a 1 or 2 in the air and then go for the DD1. He can just go for the low instead of a jump in punch, etc. It's kind of like a dive kick that you have to respect at near full screen. His f1 string covers so much space so quickly as well so you can make use of that. His db1 is a solid spacing tool as well, you don't get the crystal frames but the hitbox is useful. And then some characters have slow armor, or none at all, knocking away some of the value of Flex armor and raising the value of up rock and ground dd1. It can be strange to convert off of them and whatnot but he does have quite a few HTBs with dd1 or just some chip strings.

I'd also say he's one of the best characters in the game to be at full screen low HP endgame situations, he's slippery and dd1 will whiff punish to a full combo if you have a the meter. There's a shade of Kitana to the variation with the keep away. Crystal's Flex armor just dominates some matchups, is useful in many and great armor moves are always great.

Just to share my thought process, take Hish Qu Ten(just using it as example, feel free to share your thoughts on the MU), I'd say Aftershock does better to minimize HQT's strength, which is the midscreen zoning. Besides the obvious value of Crystal's shatter, Crystalline can use Flex armor to go complete ham on Predator, just meaty him properly and you avoid plasma barrage, and flex armor will take care of scimitar stab. But the thing is, you don't need flex armor to minimize those wakeup attacks, Tremor can setup easy meterless up rocks combos which will break his scimitar stab and meaty the plasma barrage. So for corner pressure the flex armor isn't that important at all. So I could definitely see Aftershock being better in that MU.
I'm not sure. But I totally agree with what Your saying. Depends on the Mu

Cooljaxx

Aireal dd1 is a very good tool. People say aftershock isn't viable and I don't beleive them. Sure it's not as good as crystalline but it's viable.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Powerful zoning leads to strong meter building, strong meter building leads to combo breakers and armor. I don't see a reason here to disagree.

OmGxBdON

I think crystalline is still better because the air quake can be beaten out with the up laser. Plus flex is good not just for wake ups. Especially against predator

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
make sure you mention that BF4 (regular, no meter) on hit gives COMBOS into insta air quake from half screen and further away, basically giving Tremor free damage on BF4 a lot of the time, and even if you misjudge the distance and whiff or whatever its just a free tick of meter while your opponent's knockdowned so its whatever

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
@Cooljaxx AS is not your traditional zoner. I tend to play AS in Match ups where Crystallines flex is less effective.. jax, Liu Kang ETC

My goal with AS is to control the pace, and keep my spacing. As Aftershock when I send my opponent full screen, I'll often start conditioning by throwing out a rolling cutter immediately followed by earth quake.

I want my opponents to jump predictably and eat b2s, and up fists etc. I want my opponents to get frustrated and whiff normals on approach, and eat air quakes/ex air quakes.

AS succeeds not particularly at space control, but pace. If you are a good AS Tremor player, you are controlling the pace of the match. You are making your opponent jump when YOU want them to jump, either for air to air attempts or to avoid a low projectile. You are forcing them to take risks to get in.

You just have to remember that air quake.. at least the non instant air variety against teleporters, and certain in air projectiles throwers is not effective, and his other projectiles cannot keep up with various other characters zoning options.

Anyway, just my two cents on how to play/define after shock.. Or at least how I see him, and how I find success with him. I wouldn't put him in the standard "zoner" category, much less the best in said category..

granted this could all change should I somehow master IAQ.. I imagine Tremor would be a totally different character to me if I could do it. Thanks for sharing man, it really is fascinating to watch IAQ in action, and its great to generate some discussion around here.. it's been DED!

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
Yep I definitely agree. The thint about Aftershock is that people ALWAYS get impatient with it because of how many options you have, which is why after an air quake you're free to go in for a f121 cause in 9/10 cases your opponent is going to try to move. That's just something I noticed. It is very easy to harass people with Aftershock's zoning.

Funny enough, I still feel much more comfortable with Aftershock than Crystalline, no matter the match up.

omooba

fear the moobs
Crystalline.

could've sworn you said he sucked lol
link please. actually tym mods why can't i see any videos anymore

Mijnwop aka RZA

GrandMaster of Shirai Ryu
Yep Aftershock is definitely top 3 zoning char in this game, but he got some nasty zoning Mus like Kitana or FA Jacqui.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
could've sworn you said he sucked lol
Dave's had a change of heart recently, and admitted he didn't actually know the variation before speaking on it as though he did

but at least he is open-minded now, and actually plays the character. Now if only all the other people who have literally never even played Tremor but love telling us how bad our choice in variation is, would do the same

Cooljaxx

Dave's had a change of heart recently, and admitted he didn't actually know the variation before speaking on it as though he did

but at least he is open-minded now, and actually plays the character. Now if only all the other people who have literally never even played Tremor but love telling us how bad our choice in variation is, would do the same
Yeah. Dave has had a large change of heart <3 . @General M2Dave mond if I add you? We could play sometime