What's new

Why hasn’t Mortal Kombat done a crossover with Tekken?

Why hasn’t Mortal Kombat done a crossover with Tekken? I think Mortal Kombat and Tekken crossover would work since they have the same type of 2.5 d or 3D graphics and I know the gameplay are different in both games with Tekken focusing on martial arts styles and Mortal Kombat focusing on fatalities and brutalities. It would be cool to see Liu Kang interacted with Jin Kazama and Shang Tsung interact with Heihachi Mishima.

D

Deleted member 5032

I would be happy if I could erase the 3d-era MK games from existence...

Eji1700

Kombatant
  1. You probably can't bring tekken characters into MK without DCifying it because I doubt they want to have Jin get his guts spread across the screen.
  2. For the reverse, I don't know how the hell you map the signature moves of most of the cast to 3d. We already had 3d mk and a LOT got cut or gutted, and I don't think that's going to get any easier in tekkens VASTLY different system. SF ported ok because they're both back to block systems. MK is built around having a block button.
You could easily do someone like Johnny as a guest though.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I'm still bullish on the possibility of Scorpion being Tekken 8 DLC!

The lack of gore really isn't an issue as we've seen in Injustice and even something like Soul Calibur 2 having Spawn.

I would be happy if I could erase the 3d-era MK games from existence...
I understand since the 3D era mortal Kombat games weren’t that good in deadly alliance, deception and Armageddon when they killed Liu Kang and made him a zombie. Onaga was a cheap boss and a pain in the ass to beat but I manage to beat him with all the characters in deception. I was able to beat Blaze in Armageddon too with most characters.

1. You probably can't bring tekken characters into MK without DCifying it because I doubt they want to have Jin get his guts spread across the screen.
  2. For the reverse, I don't know how the hell you map the signature moves of most of the cast to 3d. We already had 3d mk and a LOT got cut or gutted, and I don't think that's going to get any easier in tekkens VASTLY different system. SF ported ok because they're both back to block systems. MK is built around having a block button.
You could easily do someone like Johnny as a guest though.
True Tekken creators don’t want to see their characters mutilated. Yes Johnny Cage or Kano could be a guest character in Tekken 8.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Crossovers are just hard to do well between 2d and 3d game styles. You end up with a game where either the 2d half is awkward in a 3d setting, or the 3d characters are awkward in a 2d setting.

So the game ends up not really pleasing the fans of either franchise. This is why they never made Tekken x Street Fighter after xTekken.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Crossovers are just hard to do well between 2d and 3d game styles. You end up with a game where either the 2d half is awkward in a 3d setting, or the 3d characters are awkward in a 2d setting.

So the game ends up not really pleasing the fans of either franchise. This is why they never made Tekken x Street Fighter after xTekken.
SF x Tekken aka “cross Tekken” was really a good and fun game. And I hadn’t (and still haven’t) ever played Tekken competitively, just played Tekken casually back in the day, especially T3, Tekken Tag, and T5. Anyway, that game was awesome and it just in general was a lot of fun to play. It had its issues like every other FG of course, but it was a legitimately good fighting game.

I never minded that they didn’t get around to making Tekken x SF. Which for those that don’t know, the plan was to make SF x Tekken (which they did) and was gonna be 2D and more similar to SF gameplay, whereas Tekken x SF was gonna be 3D and more similar to Tekken gameplay. But like I said, I never played Tekken competitively so didn’t mind too much. Only 3D games I’ve played remotely competitively has been SC6 and VF5. More so with SC6, that was (and probably still is), an awesome FG. Loved Grøh, perfect playstyle for what I like in a FG character.

Anyway, yeah, crossover games are difficult to even get the “ok” to begin developing let alone actually making the game. It’d be much easier to just do another MKvsDC tbh. Which they could make that work imo.

Eji1700

Kombatant

Uhhh the main reason we never got tekken x street fighter was because the gem system and initial balance shit the bed on the other one and made it a financial disaster.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Uhhh the main reason we never got tekken x street fighter was because the gem system and initial balance shit the bed on the other one and made it a financial disaster.
The majority of people who buy fighting games have no idea what the balance actually is. There have been numerous terribly balanced games that have sold exceedingly well, so the FGC's issues aren't the reason that the game could not be financially successful.

The game received very positive reviews from major gaming press like IGN and Gamespot that cater to the audience of millions of casuals.

They did a lot of work to improve it for the hardcore crowd, but it just was not as popular with even casual Street Fighter fans as actual SF games, nor was it popular with the Tekken crowd. So it's hard to justify making another game that doesn't gel with either community.

AtlasM

Into dust!
Premium Supporter
Same thing with other characters not being in, they gotta stick to characters that companies will allow to be decapitated and torn in half.
Yeah Tekken's had shots in the head, broken bones, but look at like lets say, the final battle of Tekken 7, it was so vanilla it was on the verge of being PG. I think the rating was so specific, they created that feature where after a KO, the loser urges in pain to show they are still conscious.
I honestly don't see a fighting game guest character in MK ever. Easier to get characters from movies that allow the violence MK does.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I don't know how well MK characters would translate to Tekken, and while I agree that having a full blown crossover game would pose a issue with regards to the violence inflicted on Tekken characters, there are a few characters I think would be ok to have performing fatalities and being fatalitied if they were guests on a MK game. Heiachi, and Kazuya are probably characters that could be allowed to be in a MK game. He'll, maybe even Yoshimitsu too.

SF x Tekken aka “cross Tekken” was really a good and fun game. And I hadn’t (and still haven’t) ever played Tekken competitively, just played Tekken casually back in the day, especially T3, Tekken Tag, and T5. Anyway, that game was awesome and it just in general was a lot of fun to play. It had its issues like every other FG of course, but it was a legitimately good fighting game.

I never minded that they didn’t get around to making Tekken x SF. Which for those that don’t know, the plan was to make SF x Tekken (which they did) and was gonna be 2D and more similar to SF gameplay, whereas Tekken x SF was gonna be 3D and more similar to Tekken gameplay. But like I said, I never played Tekken competitively so didn’t mind too much. Only 3D games I’ve played remotely competitively has been SC6 and VF5. More so with SC6, that was (and probably still is), an awesome FG. Loved Grøh, perfect playstyle for what I like in a FG character.

Anyway, yeah, crossover games are difficult to even get the “ok” to begin developing let alone actually making the game. It’d be much easier to just do another MKvsDC tbh. Which they could make that work imo.
Well, you mentioning Soul Calibur made me think that a character like Scorpion would probably translate better to it than to Tekken, gameplay wise.

CanoCano

Kombatant
All i'm saying is SamSho would be a pretty easy game to collab with MK
  1. Both of them have gore
  2. Similar aethetics (at least compared to the Midway games)
  3. SamSho's gameplay is flexible enough that they can have guest characters from different games that play pretty well (Warden, Baiken) or have their characters translate well as guests for other games (CVS2, KOF15, SVC)

Eji1700

Kombatant
All i'm saying is SamSho would be a pretty easy game to collab with MK
  1. Both of them have gore
Samsho got MAJOR flack in Japan for V special and completely ripped the gore out of VI. They've got it back now, but still no where near the level of V Special, which looks fucking adorable compared to MK. They might be willing to do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that shitcans the whole thing from the gate.

Which is a shame because samsho is fucking great.

CanoCano

Kombatant
Samsho got MAJOR flack in Japan for V special and completely ripped the gore out of VI. They've got it back now, but still no where near the level of V Special, which looks fucking adorable compared to MK. They might be willing to do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that shitcans the whole thing from the gate.

Which is a shame because samsho is fucking great.
I agree but the fact that SS has any gore at all gives it a better chance for an MK collab than most other fighting games out there
Still i wouldn't be surprised with either outcome, maybe SNK and NRS can come to a middle ground on the matter maybe they can't

Yep it would be akward.