What's new

Question Why Don't People Use Uppercuts?

I figured. That's why I said that.. :)

Trust me... I don't know it all either, lol.

You will need to know "LBSH" though. That means "Let's be serious here". I just learned that one.. lmao.
Lmao thanks, I think it would be a bit weird/funny if I asked what it meant right after someone said it, considering its meaning :D

zaf

professor
Im the ermac mod here, so you can always PM me if you need anything. Im also one of the few ermacs you can find tournament footage for.

Im the ermac mod here, so you can always PM me if you need anything. Im also one of the few ermacs you can find tournament footage for.
Awesome :D

Yeah I noticed there's not too much tourny Ermacs on YouTube and stuff, it's a shame 'cause he's a great character :D

I don't know why, but it really helps me to see how expert players play in tournies, not just what combos they use but how they react to different situations. Combos are worthless if you never know when or how to use them :D

I got some people over today (Mainly just spam a couple specials and/or button mash, but if they're decent at that they can be extremely pesky) and none of them really played MK (Or at least recently), but it's surprisingly more difficult to think of combos when you're under pressure haha. I generally just stuck with one or two combos, not much variation :/

Ermac's great for EX moves though, because if your opponent doesn't have enough super for a break (Or won't use it) all you have to do is use DB1 and chain your X-Ray and it's a guaranteed hit as long as you time it right. This is - in my opinion - one of the only characters you can really use to ensure X-Rays hit (almost) every time.

Also, I find a lot of people really don't understand how useful the DDU ground smash attack is. Everyone jumps for the smash, but you can use DDU and chain DB4 right when you get into the air and nobody expects it. This is great because they've usually already jumped or are completely committed to the idea of dodging the ground pound that they don't realize you can port out of it. Then later you can actually ground pound from a safe distance and around half the time they block instead of jump. I have yet to see an Ermac use DB4 from a DDU on me, but I love it xD

zaf

professor
I don't know why, but it really helps me to see how expert players play in tournies, not just what combos they use but how they react to different situations. Combos are worthless if you never know when or how to use them :D

I got some people over today (Mainly just spam a couple specials and/or button mash, but if they're decent at that they can be extremely pesky) and none of them really played MK (Or at least recently), but it's surprisingly more difficult to think of combos when you're under pressure haha. I generally just stuck with one or two combos, not much variation :/

Ermac's great for EX moves though, because if your opponent doesn't have enough super for a break (Or won't use it) all you have to do is use DB1 and chain your X-Ray and it's a guaranteed hit as long as you time it right. This is - in my opinion - one of the only characters you can really use to ensure X-Rays hit (almost) every time.

Also, I find a lot of people really don't understand how useful the DDU ground smash attack is. Everyone jumps for the smash, but you can use DDU and chain DB4 right when you get into the air and nobody expects it. This is great because they've usually already jumped or are completely committed to the idea of dodging the ground pound that they don't realize you can port out of it. Then later you can actually ground pound from a safe distance and around half the time they block instead of jump. I have yet to see an Ermac use DB4 from a DDU on me, but I love it xD

The risk reward pay off just isnt there. You can still be punished by some characters when using the levitate even when you hit them because he is negative on hit with this move. There are some characters that you want to keep away from you at all cost and by using this, (even hitting) them gives them enough time to get to you.

The real thing is, no one at a tournament is worried about the damage this does. People will eat the damage because they can close in on ermac easier and if they jump they know they can eat 40%

The riak reward just isnt there
The risk-reward for DDU, DB4? You can't block in mid-air, and I have yet to find someone that won't jump, especially if I use it near the beginning of the fight from a safe distance so they know I use that move every now and then. You kind of have to guard one or the other, it's difficult to guess which one's gonna happen with the lag in between connections. Though if they do block you I suppose you're kind of fucked, but a surprisingly low amount of people punish after an unexpected port (Or at least in the matches I've tested this in).

If you're talking about something else, please let me know. The only other thing I can think of is saving all of your super for an X-Ray instead of using a breaker or three (Or EX moves), but it really comes down to how the battle went earlier, obviously if you need a breaker you should use one, but if you happen to have three bars you have a fairly easy ~35% combo.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.

In time, you will find that meter is best used for things other than xray. Not only is the scaling not that great when you land it after db1 (telekinetic slam or tks), but your meter grants you more damage when its broken up. That goes for every character basically. DDU and the teleport gimmick won't work. His fall is so slow that its insanely easy to read, and most would rather take the damage than get hit by a teleport punch. Long story short - you'll be eating a combo if you rely on this more than once against the same person.

As far as combo's go, just look up in the forum here. You can find tons of stuff. As soon as you get a jumpkick teleport from db1 down, you'll be straight. Good luck with your training. (Sorry to shoot down one or two of your ideas, but they are kinda...dated..and obsolete)

Edit: Ermac can take 50% of your life with one bar. Make those combos easy to do. :D (refer to his combos/videos)

In time, you will find that meter is best used for things other than xray. Not only is the scaling not that great when you land it after db1 (telekinetic slam or tks), but your meter grants you more damage when its broken up. That goes for every character basically. DDU and the teleport gimmick won't work. His fall is so slow that its insanely easy to read, and most would rather take the damage than get hit by a teleport punch. Long story short - you'll be eating a combo if you rely on this more than once against the same person.

As far as combo's go, just look up in the forum here. You can find tons of stuff. As soon as you get a jumpkick teleport from db1 down, you'll be straight. Good luck with your training. (Sorry to shoot down one or two of your ideas, but they are kinda...dated..and obsolete)
I know about the whole meter usage strategies, I mean just using X-Rays in general. If I haven't had to use my meter any earlier (And especially if I get the first hit bonus) I occasionally find myself in a position where I can quickly finish off an opponent with an X-Ray. I do need to work on my meter usage, but when I do rarely decide to use up an X-Ray I find Ermac is pretty good for making sure I don't waste three bars of super :D

Of course I would never use the DDU, Forceport trick more than once in a match, but how easy it is to read often depends on the skill of the player, which you can usually figure out early on in a match haha. I would never try this on a player that seems to know anything about reading Ermac's moves, but there are an unusually high amount of people that don't seem to know Ermac too well. Though I think I have to give partial credit for this trick working so consistently to the lag usually present in online matches :p

Yeah, I know my ideas are a bit dated, I guess due to the fact that this is the first time I've ever really played an MK game online, and really the first time I've read into one and discussed it online as well lol. I had already expected to have them shot down, that's basically why I've been asking "Why don't people..." etc... I want to know why they're not common.

Also, if my responses seem to be defensive or aggressive please picture them in a more calm tone. I'm trying to figure out how, when, where, and why to use certain moves over other moves, and why or why not to use certain strategies. Kind of playing devil's advocate here haha.

Damn, ninja edited, quick community here o.o

Right now I'm having a bit of trouble hitting that 40% mark consistently, so X-Rays are slightly more useful to me, though I think they are supposed to be more of a crutch than anything, because - as you mentioned - there are more useful things to use your meter on.

Thanks for advice by the way, I don't think I ever really thanked you :D

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I know about the whole meter usage strategies, I mean just using X-Rays in general. If I haven't had to use my meter any earlier (And especially if I get the first hit bonus) I occasionally find myself in a position where I can quickly finish off an opponent with an X-Ray. I do need to work on my meter usage, but when I do rarely decide to use up an X-Ray I find Ermac is pretty good for making sure I don't waste three bars of super :D

Of course I would never use the DDU, Forceport trick more than once in a match, but how easy it is to read often depends on the skill of the player, which you can usually figure out early on in a match haha. I would never try this on a player that seems to know anything about reading Ermac's moves, but there are an unusually high amount of people that don't seem to know Ermac too well. Though I think I have to give partial credit for this trick working so consistently to the lag usually present in online matches :p

Yeah, I know my ideas are a bit dated, I guess due to the fact that this is the first time I've ever really played an MK game online, and really the first time I've read into one and discussed it online as well lol. I had already expected to have them shot down, that's basically why I've been asking "Why don't people..." etc... I want to know why they're not common.

Also, if my responses seem to be defensive or aggressive please picture them in a more calm tone. I'm trying to figure out how, when, where, and why to use certain moves over other moves, and why or why not to use certain strategies. Kind of playing devil's advocate here haha.

Damn, ninja edited, quick community here o.o

Right now I'm having a bit of trouble hitting that 40% mark consistently, so X-Rays are slightly more useful to me, though I think they are supposed to be more of a crutch than anything, because - as you mentioned - there are more useful things to use your meter on.

Thanks for advice by the way, I don't think I ever really thanked you :D
Nah man, you're good. Are you on xbox or psn? Because I promise you no one is falling for that on PSN. There's only maybe 200 people online at any given time, and most of them are on because they have stuck with the game. To answer your question about uppercuts, I don't like to use them IN combos unless its the starter. I've only recently seen that Ermac can indeed combo an uppercut in the corner from a standing opponent. Me personally, I just stick to his regular bnb's and occasionally try to sneak in a double jk/tele combo but I'm yet to land it (online). Offline its second nature just about. Once you get the combo's down, we can move deeper into the character and help guide you along the way. Cheers bud.

zaf

professor
st.tches

Here i made an ermac guide long ago for landing big damage combos.

Like Phil said, levitate is just dated and obsolete. When i talk about ermac technical advanced strategies i am talking from a tournament perspective not an online one.

Nah man, you're good. Are you on xbox or psn? Because I promise you no one is falling for that on PSN. There's only maybe 200 people online at any given time, and most of them are on because they have stuck with the game. To answer your question about uppercuts, I don't like to use them IN combos unless its the starter. I've only recently seen that Ermac can indeed combo an uppercut in the corner from a standing opponent. Me personally, I just stick to his regular bnb's and occasionally try to sneak in a double jk/tele combo but I'm yet to land it (online). Offline its second nature just about. Once you get the combo's down, we can move deeper into the character and help guide you along the way. Cheers bud.
Haha I usually play online with my Vita, don't know why I just always end up playing online on there lol, maybe that's why my DDU, DB4 thing actually works :D.
Huh, unless they're the starter? I figured the people that rarely use them would be more likely to use them at the end of a combo, as most characters can't (To my knowledge) chain after one, or at least not easily. Looking forward to getting the combos down, but I'm also trying to practice with Reptile (He was my favorite character when I was younger, so I figure it'd be nice to finally not suck with him lol). Do you recommend rotating frequently between practicing with characters, or main Ermac and then, when I've made a lot of progress, start on Reptile? I still plan on maining Ermac, but I figure I need a little variety. Right now I have them both in a tag practice match and am rotating, but I'm curious as to how to go about learning two characters (Though Ermac has higher priority).

st.tches

.,:;'VIDEO';:,.

Like Phil said, levitate is just dated and obsolete. When i talk about ermac technical advanced strategies i am talking from a tournament perspective not an online one.
Thanks for the link, it's helpful to get info from someone I know isn't talking out of their ass haha, YouTube isn't exactly about quality control :/

Ah, I see. I never thought about going further with this but I guess I should start, as opposed to finding out my strategy doesn't even remotely work against an experienced player xD

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
st.tches, cause they think its risky. Its not, especially, with Ermac's uppercut. People need to start realizing that. The dmg he can achieve from a successful uppercut is stupid. People need to start using it more as a good AA.

st.tches, cause they think its risky. Its not, especially, with Ermac's uppercut. People need to start realizing that. The dmg he can achieve from a successful uppercut is stupid. People need to start using it more as a good AA.
Haha, right? It's so easy just to throw an uppercut into one of Ermac's combos and - even if the scaling means it doesn't actually add the typical 12% uppercut damage - it can really turn a quick, easy combo into a quick, easy, deadly combo.
I've seen it a lot, but because I don't have a lot of previous experience with fighting games (Mortal Kombat a little bit, but still), I need to ask; what does AA stand for? :D

st.tches

Great vid zaf, just one question lingering for me. I can land both jk tele's just fine and more often then not the d1 hits as well... no problem there. My issue is with the final input, (bf1), which for me comes out as a second lift as opposed to the tkp. Any advise?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Great vid zaf, just one question lingering for me. I can land both jk tele's just fine and more often then not the d1 hits as well... no problem there. My issue is with the final input, (bf1), which for me comes out as a second lift as opposed to the tkp. Any advise?
Instead of d1 TKP, press db1 and then bf1. Works all the time for me.

zaf

professor
Instead of d1 TKP, press db1 and then bf1. Works all the time for me.

Yea i do what metzos does. Instead of pressing d1, hold down and back so that tks does not come. Then just input tkp after you land a d1

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Just to respond to the OP,
Uppercutting is my favorite ermac move. It's not the fastest, but far from being the slowest and it has a hell of a range. I've caught people who were behind me from a cross jump lol
And the fact that you can combo or at least TKP after it makes it that much better.
I use it when Im cornered cuz people just don't expect it (risky though)
I use it against Lao's teleport and follow with a TKP.
I do see some pros use them albeit in a more strategic way than me lol

Komatose

The Prettiest
Less damage than what you would get for a normal combo. I only use uppercut combos for fanciness. Unless I'm using Cyrax. Then I do it for damage.