What's new

Why don't people use the ex grab more? (if at all?)

Is the ex grab useless?

• Yes

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 70.7%

• Total voters

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
I personally haven't been able to attend any tournaments yet this year. But i have been keeping up watching from home as much as i can. And something that has come to my attention is..... no one uses the ex grab AT THE END OF COMBOS. Why? Especially if your a 50/50 character. Now i do realize that your spending a bar of meter. But if you have an overhead and low, couldn't this definitely serve some sort of purpose? Or am i that out of the loop, that ex grab has already been sworn off by everyone? and this excludes characters like Quan Chi who have restanding moves already...

Be nice, like i said, i have been out of the loop a little.

If this has already been asked, or discussed. My bad.

Last edited:
Basically. Ex Grab makes u spend a bar without guaranteeing anything. Normal grab gives you 12% damage guaranteed, no bar spent. Pretty simple tbh.

EX Grab sucks.

darkmoonlight_va

Kitana Assassin Main
For me, the range at which it puts you is a bit far for both the low and overhead to reach, so if they know the matchup they know how to guard. Now what is really tricky is ex throw then throw.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I personally haven't been able to attend any tournaments yet this year. But i have been keeping up watching from home as much as i can. And something that has come to my attention is..... no one uses the ex grab AT THE END OF COMBOS. Why? Especially if your a 50/50 character. Now i do realize that your spending a bar of meter. But if you have an overhead and low, couldn't this definitely serve some sort of purpose? Or am i that out of the loop, that ex grab has already been sworn off by everyone? and this excludes characters like Quan Chi who have restanding moves already...

Be nice, like i said, i have been out of the loop a little.

If this has already been asked, or discussed. My bad.
Because meter is critically important in this game. A lot of characters need it for combo damage, to get off the ground, to armor out of pressure in general, or in some cases like Shang, to get their main offense going.

There are uses for it, but they are situational -- definitely something you want to think before gambling on.

Last edited:

The Highlander

There can be only one
As MKX doesn't have wake-up invincibility, standing resets don't have such a huge advantage over hard KDs as they did in MK9/IGAU. They're still (usually) better, but not one bar of meter better.
Basically this, most of the cast can either restand or benefit more from a hard knock-down. Plus I remember honeybee saying that at the top level his throws are almost always teched. So unless you want to give up positioning for an unsafe 50/50 it's better to knock them down, take your damage and make them guess anyway.

Last edited:
Because meter is critically important in this game. A lot of characters need it for combo damage, to get off the ground, to armor out of pressure in general, or in some cases like Shang, to get their offense going.

There are uses for it, but they are situational -- definitely something you want to think before gambling on
Because meter is critically important in this game. A lot of characters need it for combo damage, to get off the ground, to armor out of pressure in general, or in some cases like Shang, to get their offense going.

There are uses for it, but they are situational -- definitely something you want to think before gambling on.
fuck i miss shang

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
It's almost useful if used by 50/50 char
But Quan, Raiden and Scorpion already have standing reset
But Kung Lao has hat spin to fuck all armored wakeup
But Predator has mines and traps
I only saw Honeybee use that. Erron Black doesn't have a standing reset but SonicFox never used it
Like someone already said above, because wakups in this game don't have any invincibility frame, standing reset is not worth 1 bar (and your combos do 3-4% damage less as well)

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
The big reason is because some characters cannot get the 50/50 unless they are in the corner. So what players do is Mash i think its 2 during combos so they will always tech the throw reset. Thats why you do not see many people do it

coolwhip

Noob
It is very character and situation specific IMO. As a Lao player, I never have a reason to go for it, like, ever. You almost always want to end your combos with 21 (in both tempest and buzz-saw), or occasionally, b321~hat spin (provided you haven't used hat spin in the combo) to have the hat out and basically completely negate the threat of wake-ups. After a 21 knockdown in tempest, you'll just get your hat spin out and pressure. Lao's "50/50" after a standing reset is b2 or d4, with the second option not providing nearly enough reward to justify burning a bar. Some characters, Kung Lao included, thrive on knockdowns so there's little reason to go for a MB throw.

Even 50/50 characters will just prefer to use the 50/50 after the knockdown, even with the risk of a wake-up. Meter in this game isn't as free as it was in Injustice, so it's important not to spend it generously. Many characters will have used a bar in the combo anyway and aren't going to spend another one for something that isn't guaranteed. I'd use it if my character had strong a 50/50 and good meterless damage, but other than that there are almost always better options IMO.

Which reminds me, remember when TYM freaked out over MB throws and how potentially broke they might be...before the game came out?

Last edited:

QXD

Noob
Because meter is critically important in this game. A lot of characters need it for combo damage, to get off the ground, to armor out of pressure in general, or in some cases like Shang, to get their main offense going.

Shang has a really hard time without meter, he cant even be in the game without it.

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
Part of it depends on the range of your mixups, like reptiles overhead wont connect after an ex throw unless you're in the corner but two of his lows will connect midscreen. But then those lows also needs meter to net you more than 16 and 18% (the overhead would net the same without meter midscreen but in the corner you can get about 35%).

So it really depends on how your character spends meter and the range of their mixups. Reptile is too meter dependent to make it useful imo but a character like Sonya would probably get more mileage out of it.

Schuyler

Noob
I use to use it a lot no I just don't. I main Hollywood Cassie so ill just ex nut punch if I wanna put them in a 50/50.

The MB throw is also really good for comebacks. If your opponent doesn't have enough to brake and your on your way to a comeback I defiantly would encourage MB throw with just about every character.

skater11

The saltiest
I want to get it clear on how to tech a damn throw. In practice mode b4 f3 works for me. But some people say it's just 1 or 2 which I can't disagree with because I have teched a throw by just pressing 1 before. What the fuck is the throw mechanic in this game? Someone please tell me.

Last edited:

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I want to get it clear on how to tech a damn throw. In practice mode b4 f3 works for me. But some people say it's just 1 or 2 which I can't disagree with because I have teched a throw by just pressing 1 before. What the fuck is the throw mechanic in this game? Someone please tell me.
You don't have to hit the direction. The button you hit reps the direction. 12 is forward and 34 is back.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
It's awesome for Sub, costs like 2% on a character who doesn't have much other use for meter, for dividends of >35%