What's new

Why does the NRS scene get so much hate?

I got into the FGC about 3 years ago with Injustice. After getting over the stigma of fighting games being "too hard" and "not beginner friendly", I absolutely loved the genre. I'd get my hands on any fighting game I could get my hands on whether it was Street Fighter, Tekken, Soulcalibur, MvC or Killer Instinct. I enjoyed some of these games more than others, but I've never outright hated any of them. But for the rest of the FGC, it seems that the NRS community gets more hate than any other communities (especially from the Street Fighter Community). All these people complain about is how NRS games are clunky, unbalanced and "casual". I can understand some of these, as I also found these games clunky initially, the games aren't always well balanced, and yes, MK is more known in the eyes of casual gamers. But, are any of these claims really valid? Practically any game feels clunky at first. Think of the first time you've played game with a unfamiliar control scheme. Did you think it felt completely natural and smooth? Most likely no. Is every FG balanced? NO! There are games where every character is viable, but there never will be (and should never be) a FG that is 100% balanced. It'd make the game incredibly boring as every character is essentially equal. And the concept of these games being "casual" and using established characters (Injustice) and gore (MK) to appeal to said audience. This, to me is a completely asinine excuse for a reason as to why these games are bad. While I do agree that these are factors that help make these games popular in the states, it also isn't a reason as to why they are bad. Every person starting with a piece of media, whether it's a book, film or game starts as a casual fan. You can't instantly be a hardcore fan for a franchise, everyone starts the same. This vibe I get from this sort of statement is one of self-superiority and pride, which is awful because these sorts of things tear communities apart and create rivalries. One thing I forgot to mention was how a lot of other communities exclaim how NRS is greedy and corporate. I can agree with this statement somewhat. NRS doesn't always treat the fans the best, and are owned by Warner Bros., a business set to make money wherever they can. But making this statement is incredibly hypocritical.

WARNING: RANT INCOMING.

Street Fighter V. A game with polarizing opinions. Some say it's a great game, while others say it is an example of what is wrong with game development today. IMO, Capcom released a game with a absolutely amazing gameplay and a fresh sense of style. This game however was very, VERY lacking in terms of content at launch. Now, Capcom had to have known this. 16 characters at launch, no real story/arcade mode, no VS a.i option, clipping issues and a awful survival mode at launch, while having a day one $30 season pass. Not to mention that later on having ANOTHER $30 season pass, a premium costume for every character that can NOT be bought with in game currency, season/event costumes or stages that can NOT be bought with in game currency and having weekly trials that only get you about 1/8 of a STAGE. And this was $60 at LAUNCH. I understand that early adopter always get shafted, but this is straight up SCUMMY. Rushing your unfinished game out so that it can be qualified for EVO is no excuse. And this isn't coming from someone salty about this from day one. I didn't feel this way until months later, realizing that I had spent $120+ on this game which is STILL lacking content. This is why is irks me so much when SF fanboys underplay how AWFUL Capcom treated this games launch. Yet they call NetherRealm greedy for having guest characters and using blood and gore to appeal to a mass audience. RANT OVER

Anyway, I would like to hear TYM's opinion on this. I want to know if others in this wonderful community have noticed this, or felt this way. Please understand that I know not everyone can like every game, and that I do NOT hate all fighting games other than MK/INJ. I simply don't get why people of the Fighting Game COMMUNITY turn their backs on their own.

Thank you for your time, and have a good day everyone.

ive always heard of it but thought this was mainly over since 2012... (some people might find this shocking but "mk9 has no footsies " was a regular phrase in 2011). since capcom guys realized they cant just pick up an NRS game and win everything, our games and scene have their respect.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
TYM is probably why the NRS community gets a bad rap. and the FGC was kinda born from SF and Marvel so theres tons of favoritism. NRS' short(compared to SF) support for its games and lots of patches in the past didnt help either

UGL Preon

The Casual God
To be fair if it doesn't have the Capcom logo people will bash it.

They'll say they don't like 3D fighters.

Don't like Anime fighters or Air dashers.

They don't like NRS games.

Don't like Smash Bros.

Every community gets a little bit of the background spots because the Capcom community is the one with Event Prestige, consistent large numbers, and been apart of it all before EVO was called EVO.

So it's not just NRS it's just part of being a smaller competitive community/scene overall.

And as some said sometimes the NRS forums like TYM have some people say certain things that lead to a bad image being painted of the community at large.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
People will say what they will, NRS is a great community, company and Scene.

The problem is, Street Fighter is a game focused more on defense and has a slow pace compared to NRS games, so not every single person who plays only street fighter and never tried anything else on their life will found its appeal.

The only thing i really think NRS needs to change a little bit is control responsiveness, input buffer window refined, consistent anti-airs and we're spot on, everything else like balance is all subjective as long as anything in the game no matter how strong its well designed with a good counter not based on chance or super risk.

NRS caters the casuals more because the entry level requirement to play is pretty basic, the inputs are not over complicated which buys in anyone who never tried fighting games before, and that's fine, its a good way to bring new people into a game and educate them along the way, which is why today Devs in NRS like Paulo have characters who are easier to used and the ones that are more technical and harder to use.

I started playing fighting games at the age of 9, with street fighter and Mortal Kombat being my very first games, i have friends who played street fighter and Kof their entire life but can't manage to play a Mortal Kombat game on the same level they display on street fighter.

Overlord Pram

Harley Scholar
One thing I would say is the NRS community shouldn't always just let their games die, this would help them in keeping the respect for the games similar to what the Smash Brothers community has done.