What's new

Why does someone else using breakaway eat my inputs?

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Mechanically, I'd like to know the cause of someone else using breakaway during my combo eating my inputs. It annoys the hell out of me, and I thought it was in my head for a long time, but then I recorded D'vorah doing f13~amp db1, f1~df3, while going for max height on f1, and did the breakaway myself. Sure enough, every time I did it early as possible, D'vorah's f1 would not come out.

I was specifically looking for a way to actually get a setup with her whether they break or not, but this makes the timing all kinds of messed up, not to mention all the other problems it causes. If I'm being honest, breakaway is the mechanic I hate most in this game by miles.

Second Saint

It's actually worse than all that too, since it seems like you can do breakaway at two or more different points, causing the knockdown to be different as well. Tested by recording a launch then meatying, then doing breakaway at different points. I could consistently change the timing so that the meaty whiffed.

And because breakaway suddenly makes them fall slower, it's difficult to find anything that covers both options. It's just a clusterfuck of a mechanic that I really wish people would talk about more.

Second Saint

Do I need to make a video going over why this is so fucking dumb? I won't be able to for a couple days, but damn I'm tired of this. You know why people say this game is boring and there's no combo variety? It's this mechanic being available right out the gate and usually coming back pretty quickly. I genuinely consider myself lucky if I get one launch in a game that's not immediately broken.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I thought they fixed this? I haven't been getting this problem since the 3rd variations patch

Jbog

Noob
Cuz this breakaway system sucks! Was stupid in injustice 2, a game that life span didnt last half an hour and then they brought it over to this game!!! Sad mk9 and injustice were the most fun games even with there broken parts and balance problems!! Nice one nrs keep changing things that arent broken and make new headaches for your titles

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I was specifically looking for a way to actually get a setup with her whether they break or not
Perhaps you answered your own question here. Maybe they don’t want to completely negate the usage of a game mechanic.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Agreed the breakaway mechanism sucks in mk 11, I dont know why they ditched breakers which were much better actually worked and gave you some space.

Second Saint

Perhaps you answered your own question here. Maybe they don’t want to completely negate the usage of a game mechanic.
Except the amount of damage I'm sacrificing to do this means it's not negated. I'm already not doing much damage, to cover both options, I would have to go all the way down to 150 or less depending on the starter.

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
It prevents you from whiffing as much when your opponent uses breakaway, and even lets you option select to take advantage in some cases...

Second Saint

It prevents you from whiffing as much when your opponent uses breakaway, and even lets you option select to take advantage in some cases...
If anything, it causes more whiffs, since my inputs get eaten half the time then they start falling slower.

OS is an interesting idea though. Could you give some examples?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I've noticed when doing Jax d12 juggles that breakaways tend to eat the d1 part and I end up with a whiffed d2, that often gets me punished.
Sometimes it's nice when they breakaway and it gives you the D2. It looks like you knew they were gonna breakaway and they probably think "woah he's really good, how did he know!?" meanwhile I'm taking credit and acting like my yomi mindgames are too dank.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Honestly, I love when someone breaks away. Means he can´t do shit on his next wakeup, my flawless blockable strings are useful now and if I catch him again before it recharges it will hurt a lot.

The Input should be looked at, way too many times I want to break away and nothing comes out and other times I eat an overhead while crouch Blocking and I break away for no reason and waste my meter

E

Eldriken

Making the input down + block was one of the dumbest effin' decisions I can think of for the game. You should be able to breakaway at any point once you're launched, not specific windows.

Actually, remove breakaway and just put breakers back into the game. You shouldn't have to worry about eating unbreakable damage due to the character you're playing against.

If breakers were to be brought back, I think defensive meter gain should get heavily nerfed compared to where it's at now since a regular breaker is far more useful than a breakaway.

Second Saint

Making the input down + block was one of the dumbest effin' decisions I can think of for the game. You should be able to breakaway at any point once you're launched, not specific windows.

Actually, remove breakaway and just put breakers back into the game. You shouldn't have to worry about eating unbreakable damage due to the character you're playing against.

If breakers were to be brought back, I think defensive meter gain should get heavily nerfed compared to where it's at now since a regular breaker is far more useful than a breakaway.
You really would think that somebody would've pointed out during development that it's really easy to blow your entire defensive bar off an unexpected hit, seeing how down+block is one of the most common inputs in the game. How much less annoying would it be even if it was just stance shift + down?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends

Breakers honestly are terrible, no matter how much you change the meter game.

The cool thing about breakaway is the option to counterplay them. There is no true counterplay for a breaker...it's either keep it unbreakable, or let them spend the meter and potentially lose all your momentum. This ends up with them being the best defensive option every single time, with how they have functioned for the past 14 years. It being a literal "Get Out of Jail Free" card was not really interesting in any sense. If breaker does return, there should very much be a counterplay option.

I've seen my fair share of rounds that get massively swung around because someone read the breakaway game wrong. It's easily the best combo breaker mechanic I've seen in an NRS title to date.

E

Eldriken

Breakers honestly are terrible, no matter how much you change the meter game.

The cool thing about breakaway is the option to counterplay them. There is no true counterplay for a breaker...it's either keep it unbreakable, or let them spend the meter and potentially lose all your momentum. This ends up with them being the best defensive option every single time, with how they have functioned for the past 14 years. It being a literal "Get Out of Jail Free" card was not really interesting in any sense. If breaker does return, there should very much be a counterplay option.
This is true. Wasn't taking that into consideration when typing my response. lol

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I both love them and hate them.

It's great when you use it and your opponent finishes their full combo string so you can punish them once you get up. 'Bitch you thought-' all smug like.

Then you use it and they cut the string short so they just combo you right after with a well-timed meaty and then you think 'fuck, I'm dumb' cause you shoulda just fucking blocked.

Either way, I think dropping out at certain times to be able to punish the opponent is a cool mind game. I do wish it could give you more space tho, cause oppressive characters can feel even more oppressive when you drop down right at their feet. You're basically saying 'punish me, daddy, I'll take it'.

Jbog

Noob
The roll breakaway and wake ups online have weird timing this game is soooo different online vs offline! And since the majority of this game is played online contrary to developer beliefs its never fixed and addressed becaise of the competive scene what about the million regulars that play your game for fun? Oh yeah they dont matter c uh z we make games for the 300 people to play at tournaments duh

Jbog

Noob
I guess shame on us casuals who enjoy the online games.cuz gameplay is ok online not great not by a long shot