What's new

Why chip damage kills?

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
I think Grundy's Swamp Rot in IGAU is a perfect example of fair chip damage; the move's start-up is long and the gas disappears when he gets hit (even the enhanced version). Compare that to Noxious Reptile or Acidic Alien and it's as if NRS thought Swamp Rot was too weak.

I think they mean because mk is one of the only games whereeverything chips I think its because old 2d mks the way the games were designed you could low block all day without the threat of too overheads but chip forced you to fight back

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Are we pretending NRS games are the only games to have chip damage kills?

The only game I know of that doesn't is SFV.
Persona doesn't have chip kills as well. Blazblue and GG technically don't have those as well (by barrier blocking/faultless defense).

Honestly NRS games are known for chip kills mainly coz they're the only fighting game where even normals do chip and can kill.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
- No more death by chip damage. The HP will stuck in the red pixel (think about Street Fighther V).

god i wish ^^^

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Unless you came from playing 3D fighters exclusively I don't understand where this expectation came from....

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
It's just a way build a game. I don't think there is any "right" way to do chip, it just has different implications depending on how it's implemented, and there are pros and cons to just about any way your approach it.

In the case of MK where everything chips, everything kills it reinforces an aggressive play style. It means you have to keep trying to find different ways out situations instead of trying to block everything until there is a break in pressure. It means you are in constant danger at all times which is something you have to deal with emotionally as a player.

In games intended to have a lot blocking then low chip, or only some things chip, is a perfectly fine way to go as well. It is a way in which games can feel different, play different, and require different mindsets. In MK I would say everything chips is part of that games identity. It totally fits and it's the right thing for that franchise. SF only having supers and (previously specials) chip kill is also very fitting. They are different games and they require you to be mindful of different things.

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
It's just a way build a game. I don't think there is any "right" way to do chip, it just has different implications depending on how it's implemented, and there are pros and cons to just about any way your approach it.

In the case of MK where everything chips, everything kills it reinforces an aggressive play style. It means you have to keep trying to find different ways out situations instead of trying to block everything until there is a break in pressure. It means you are in constant danger at all times which is something you have to deal with emotionally as a player.

In games intended to have a lot blocking then low chip, or only some things chip, is a perfectly fine way to go as well. It is a way in which games can feel different, play different, and require different mindsets. In MK I would say everything chips is part of that games identity. It totally fits and it's the right thing for that franchise. SF only having supers and (previously specials) chip kill is also very fitting. They are different games and they require you to be mindful of different things.
YOU RIGHT , but what about things like that guy that shoots bullets like a retard full screen ? i don't remember his name lol or superman laser air full screen . i know there's ways to go around but if that did not do chip damage the game would be more fun and balanced . just my opinion .

Special moves chip killing in MK or injustice is a stupid idea because it's pretty useless in a game with blockstring gallore what does it matter If as a Takeda I have to do f12 to kill you or f122+4 into any special?

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
If there's any one thing I love about SFV it's how only supers can chip out. Just increases the hype potential.

At the same time, characters whose game plan revolves around chip damage like the old Fisticuffs and Flamefist were hype af too. I hope if they're going to keep the all things chip out mentality they have at least one character who can make it rain chip damage as their main gimmick.

If there's any one thing I love about SFV it's how only supers can chip out. Just increases the hype potential.

At the same time, characters whose game plan revolves around chip damage like the old Fisticuffs and Flamefist were hype af too. I hope if they're going to keep the all things chip out mentality they have at least one character who can make it rain chip damage as their main gimmick.
It wouldn t change anything cheap specials like Fistwindmill etc would still kill and stings into special would still jail that idea is useless