What's new

Question Why aren't you a top player/what is your skill level with your main?

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I have three more to add for myself.

Execution. In match my execution goes down. I think it is because I practice from a neutral position instead of moving around. Sometimes I turn the AI on just to practice one combo while moving and it helps a bit but not as much as I'd like. My execution is not bad, I think this is one of the better skills of mine but it could still be improved. For example I still get wrong inputs for Kenshi and Freddy when quickly moving around on screen. Sometimes after dashing forward after an enhanced ground spike I'll go for b1,2,u1 and input: dash db1 and end up hitting them with one spike instead of my combo. Kenshi is worse, I get reflect in a ton of situations, combos, trying to do shoulder from ducking etc.

Frustration. When I feel overwhelmed by the other player my mind slows down instead of speeding up and my decisions get worse. I'll use what I call a frustration breaker at the end of the first round with almost no chance of comeback. If anyone watched the last CoCo that @GGA 16bit won you saw that with me vs @perfectlegend. I pretty much just stood still while Kung Lao repeatedly shoved his razor sharp hat up my ass. I know Kenshi was a bad choice and debated going Freddy instead but I just wanted some tourney experience with Kenshi. Still it was obvious that his speed shut down my game mentally.

Downplaying. Not the kind we normally talk about here, but I can't think of a better term. I seem to play down to my opponents skill when I'm better. I do not push myself to play 100% if I'm better which causes me to almost play more like them and do dumb things. If all they do is jump and teleport I'll start doing that for some fucking reason. This isn't nearly as bad anymore but I did run into this problem at CoCo. Off stream I played PlayingtoWin. He doesn't really play anymore and plays the game like it is a few months old. Still I kept falling for early Raiden traps and random supermans. This one thankfully wasn't the train wreck that was me vs PL, it came down to the final hit of the set but he still took it. There is no reason I shouldn't have been able to win that set 2-0.

Hopefully after Frosty Faustings I'll be able to look back and say "I improved on all the things I listed."

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Sheeva a 6 maybe because I never have anyone to compare against but I win a fair bit of uphill battles.
Sonya probably a 4
Sindel maybe a 3.5
Jax a 4
why I'm not a top player.
#1 I make a modest amount of money so I don't go to tournaments
#2 tournaments are very very far away from where I live.
#3 I main Sheeva because she fits my style and I have the most fun with her, she's a decent character but there's probably 4 to 5 characters in this game that go from oh god to wtf is this bullshit match ups.
#4 I'm lazy, I don't really go into the training room at all. I don't care about doing the biggest damage and winning every match isn't that important to me.
#5 I think if I did the opposite of all those reasons I just listed why I'm not a top player, the game would no longer be fun for me.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
sektor 6 ish
noob 7 ish
cyrax 7 ish im still in baby stage wit cyrax but he just clicks wit my style of play
shang 5
scorp 5
skarlet 5 used to be better but skarlet breaks controllers so i stopped maining her lol

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
fundamentals are what mostly make someone good, not a character
I think his point was that you won't fully learn your characters if you play a ton of them. You need to really focus on a few characters to level them up.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I think his point was that you won't fully learn your characters if you play a ton of them. You need to really focus on a few characters to level them up.
no, it depends on your overall matchup xp, a good player can fight with many chars while always keeping his main a bit higher

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
no, it depends on your overall matchup xp, a good player can fight with many chars while always keeping his main a bit higher
Everyone plays differently but there is a reason 90% of the top players never play more than 2-3 characters and usually just one in tournament. I think you are vastly underestimating how much you learn from maining just a few characters. Take a look at the top 20-30 players and tell me how many of them have played more than 3 different characters in tournament in 2012. I don't know the exact numbers but my guess is it is only 3-5 at most of them.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
"fr stack, post: 613693, member: 5074"
skarlet 5 used to be better but skarlet breaks controllers so i stopped maining her lol
Mine are already fucked, square and triangle are failing due the dagger spamming and consecutive downslashes, now i need it for NJP on real matches and i'm getting free because of it. Damn LOL

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Main: Mileena/Quan
Learning: Reptile

I am free to:

execution
bad reads
jumping.

I cannot AA to save my life. Ever.
Also, no offline scene.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
fundamentals are what mostly make someone good, not a character
yes but if u play 8 characters, u'll be much less comfortable doing character specific things (on point mind you) than u would if say u only had 2 or 3 characters.

you can still mess around with all the characters you want, but your better off really focusing on only a few.

i say this from experience because when i tried to pretty much main random select....i sucked horribly.

Reactions: Jim

peachyO

Noob
Ehhh here we go

Sub 5
Scorpion 4

My biggest issue is spacing, forcing whiffs etc. Granted I play sub so traditional footsies are out weighed by the fact that I have the clone, but nonetheless I really need to work on it. I will also clone on habit sometimes, effectively giving my opponent the opportunity to use the cool down against me.

I also can't seem to find the balance of respecting options of my opponent vs going HAM. Anyone who's played me will tell you that I eat wake ups like crazy.

Also I do not adapt fast enough, this is my #2 issue. I will fall for a setup 2 or more times before I realize I need to bait then punish. ExNutPunch I'm looking at you.

And then comes patience. I will straight up forego working my life lead and keep going with risky corner setups/reads or 50/50s in scorpions case. I guess over all, this all falls into going into autopilot mode and needing better situational awareness.
serious underrating here. i have played you...you are extremely capable with both of them.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
yes but if u play 8 characters, u'll be much less comfortable doing character specific things (on point mind you) than u would if say u only had 2 or 3 characters.

you can still mess around with all the characters you want, but your better off really focusing on only a few.

i say this from experience because when i tried to pretty much main random select....i sucked horribly.
i do just fine maining the whole male cast and know 80% of matchups with a great deal of them.

its possible.

LEGEND

YES!
Jax: 8
Kenshi: 8 (if i had the patience) actually i'd say 7
Shang: 8 i think, Currently leveling up hard with him
Kitana: 7
Cage: 6
Sektor: 9
Reptile: 6
Baraka: 8
Liu Kang: 6
Stryker: 9
Sonya: 6 or 7, can't tell with such a scrub friendly character
Kabal: 6
Sub Zero: 6
Scorpion: 7

Not including characters at 5 or below since i can play everyone

I'm not a top player atm because:
1) i don't travel outside my region
2) Make bad character choices in tournament
3) have been fighting against the character instead of the player, relying on MU advantages with all my characters instead of actually learning how to deal with a bad MU
4) Cyrax. . . Seriously at least half of all my losses come from that fucker
5) lack of confidence, don't commit to my reads