What's new

Who's still playing Aquaman?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'm wondering if any of you guys are still playing Aquaman, or if everyone dropped him after his nerfs? I still like Aquaman and I think he still has a place in the game, he just needs another character to back him up now. In my opinion, Aquaman is now more of a utility character, but he is still a great defensive powerhouse WHEN he is used in the right matchups.
Aquaman still has:
-fantastic anti-air D2
-great chip w/ mb trident rush
-trait
-MB water shield
-great buttons and footsies
-tentacle strike is good vs rushdown characters

I think Aquaman is still a good pick for characters that are built around heavy offense or lack a strong zoning game. But it gets really shitty when you have to fight a character that outzones him and Aquaman is forced to go on the offensive. He thrives on playing defensively, but if he has to fight a character that is allowed to be more defensive that him, it sucks since he has no offense to speak of outside of trident rush chip, which he likely won't have meter for to solely rely on.

Is anyone still using him? And if so how and vs who?

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Oh also, even though MB tentacle strike is now useless for damage, it is a lot better for getting in on zoners because the knockdown is really good on it, so there is at least one consolation for losing so much damage across the board.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
Aqman, definitely is not a utility character like captain cold is. He's not top 10 anymore, but he can still hold his own in most of his matchups. Only thing he lacks now is his previous dmg, but he still has decent chip, respectable zoning and pressure vs characters that have no 6 frame d1, and that's alot of the cast

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
Been rocking him since launch, I like the character a lot so probably will play him in some capacity no matter what.

I also wouldn't hold my breath for any change to the character, especially something useful. Catwoman and Black Adam were allowed to be great characters and Aquaman was nerfed to shit so there's that.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Post-patch Aquaman is what you get when you take a fortress and remove its turrets. In other words, you have a wall.

He’s no longer capable of dealing (great) damage but he makes up for it with his fantastic defensive playstyle.

I feel that going forward, Aquaman players should still play with the character’s amazing footsies which is where the character excels at. While I won’t say he’s a good zoner, the combination of his trait, water shield and a bunch of other tools should still make in tough to approach once he establishes a lifelead.

Blitzace10

The Aquatic Ace
I still love to pick him, I refuse to believe that people that have played him from Injustice 1 and carried over, Just dropped him.

jmt

Noob
Gross still plays him. That is one of his mains along with lantern and Adam. He definitely could use him during e-league.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
He's my secondary main. I agree that he's a utility character. He's a counterpick character now, and he's good at it.

Also Mb tentacle strike is still good for damage imo. Still does a solid 180 on supes which is 110 more than the normal version. Also since aquaman has decent bar, if you catch a couple of them you can really sway the life lead.

Other than that, yeah he's still good. his d2 is amazing and his trident rush is good. If you space the last hit it essentially becomes 0 on block since it's near impossible to reach him before his -5 runs out. But yeah, he's just a counterpick now. If from the deep was like -18 or so, he might become a main tbh because a lot of his bad matchups would be way better.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Aqman, definitely is not a utility character like captain cold is. He's not top 10 anymore, but he can still hold his own in most of his matchups. Only thing he lacks now is his previous dmg, but he still has decent chip, respectable zoning and pressure vs characters that have no 6 frame d1, and that's alot of the cast
Aquaman loses to Atrocitus, Black Adam, Catwoman, Deadshot, Fate, Firestorm, Poison Ivy, Red Hood, Starfire at least. Loses to all the zoners, is good vs heavy rushdown. Utility character.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I thought Aquaman beat Green Arrow and Harley. So he can beat some of the relevant zoners.

I just picked him up and I think he's great. I think he has a little bit of everything, range, good frames, pressure, defence, great specials. You don't have to risk with him very often as well. I really enjoy using him so far.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I have been thinking alot about picking this character up. He does seem like a great counter pick to counter damn near anybody on the roster because he has such a variety of tools to destroy zoners, up-close combat fighters, spammers, etc etc.

I think i just might today :)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I have been thinking alot about picking this character up. He does seem like a great counter pick to counter damn near anybody on the roster because he has such a variety of tools to destroy zoners, up-close combat fighters, spammers, etc etc.

He doesn't destroy zoners, tentacle strike is too negative and sometimes punishable, he is really good for countering rushdown characters like Batman or Black Canary.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
He doesn't destroy zoners, tentacle strike is too negative and sometimes punishable, he is really good for countering rushdown characters like Batman or Black Canary.
If the timing is right, its possible to use that attack to move in on em, especially the mix with the trident throw. OOOOOO i can sees it now! :cool:

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
If the timing is right, its possible to use that attack to move in on em, especially the mix with the trident throw. OOOOOO i can sees it now! :cool:
Just keep in my that if you MB db2 but get hit before finishing the animation the rest of the move won't come out and the bar is bye bye.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Just keep in my that if you MB db2 but get hit before finishing the animation the rest of the move won't come out and the bar is bye bye.
OOOOOO...I didnt know that. Thank ya kindly. But at least some damage can occur as long as he touches the opponent with the attack.

What do you mean by "counter anybody", I just play him cause he looks cool lol

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
What do you mean by "counter anybody", I just play him cause he looks cool lol
To use him as a secondary pick to counter pick a troublesome matchup. Like for example, if I get my ass completely murdered by Harley, right, the next round I'll play as Aquaman and whoop her ass. :)

The real problem with Aquaman in my opinion was that you couldn't reverse pressure on him, for the most part. Trident Rush on hit guaranteed follow ups, then on block and spaced correctly, you had to respect potential d1, d2 and mb b3 reversals. Combine that with his d2 and trait for defensive options in the neutral and that meant you were always playing his game.

I'd have rather have seen that go than FTD.