What's new

Question Who will win Mk9 At evo this year?

coolwhip

Noob
IMO, there are 4 candidates (obviously there are more, but it's too much to list them all):

REO: Best MK player right now, has had the best results for the past 9 months or so, and plays the best character.

PL: In truth, hasn't been impressive lately and I feel he's fallen behind as off late with people adjusting to his style and generally leveling up. His Kung Lao, while still ridiculously good, has gotten a bit predictable. Worse, his Kabal has declined considerably (it had gotten quite good circa-late summer). He has yet to adjust to the characters that give his main some problems too. And yet, he's the two time EVO champ. The guy who's proven everyone wrong when it mattered the most. He'll obviously improve before EVO, but I really think he needs to go to Chicago and train with GGA for a week or so because playing online won't cut it, especially now that it's that much more difficult to find training partners. Still, it would be crazy not to call him one of the favorites.

Dizzy: IMO, the most fundamentally sound MK player, the most leveled up from last year's EVO, and if he weren't playing Johnny Cage (who don't get me wrong, is a great character), he'd have a damn good chance of being flat out the best MK player in the world. I really think the guy would be even more dominant if it hadn't been for Kenshi, or more specifically, Pig of the Hut (because LBSH, what Dizzy did to King's Kenshi at UFGT was nothing short of amazing).

Pig: For the longest time, he was a lock to make top 8 at the very least. I think he'll get back his feel for the game. I mean really, for the better part of his career, he only lost to Kabal.

There are others that I think will definitely make some noise. For instance, it's a decent bet that at least one Terry brother will make top 8, or that 16 Bit will jump around and D1 his way into another top 8 (it'd be awesome if he wins though). I also agree with whoever said that Forever King and his ridiculous arsenal of characters will make some noise again.

Also, Tom is coming of retirement with Sub, so obviously, he's winning the tournament #Kappa

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
I kind of hope Chris G takes it if he is competing. Just because Reptile. :joker:

I honestly think it will be Perfect Legend or REO though. I mean both are great players. I still kind of want PL to win just so that he is a 3 time EVO champ... I don't know... don't listen to me. Too much bias. ;)

coolwhip

Noob
why is that an excuse? they claim they have the best team, they should be able to win a canadian major.
vsm won that shit
OK, so if VSM went to UFGT without REO, Maxter and Jr, and lost, which is what would have happened because none of their other players are good enough to beat Dizzy (no disrespect to anyone), suddenly they wouldn't be good enough to win a Chicago major? Nice logic.

Apparently if you're a team, and you're without your two best players, it's not an excuse.

zaf

professor
OK, so if VSM went to UFGT without REO, Maxter and Jr, and lost, which is what would have happened because none of their other players are good enough to beat Dizzy (no disrespect to anyone), suddenly they wouldn't be good enough to win a Chicago major? Nice logic.
Apparently if you're a team, and you're without your two best players, it's not an excuse.

there were not even 1 vsm player at ufgt, gga can have that win.

this post is all "what ifs"

toryuken was not a what if

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!

It really isn't an excuse. If you are a good team you don't need 1 or 2 players to carry the team...

Reactions: zaf

coolwhip

Noob
there were not even 1 vsm player at ufgt, gga can have that win.
Which is why my argument was a hypothetical scenario to highlight a point, which you seem to have missed.

What happened in Canada just shows that Winter Warz out-played Han. Hell you can even say it shows that he's a better player. But I don't see how suddenly, this means that GGA isn't good enough to win a Canada major. Hell, by that argument, I can say it shows that this Canada major didn't matter, since none of the really elite players of either team bothered to go there to begin with (which would be a harsh argument by the way).

coolwhip

Noob
It really isn't an excuse. If you are a good team you don't need 1 or 2 players to carry the team...
I'm sure the Bulls would have dominated the 90's without Pippen and Jordan. And the Lakers would have dominated the 00's without Shak and Kobe. Spoiler: no they wouldn't have. I guess that means they're not a good team.

zaf

professor
Which is why my argument was a hypothetical scenario to highlight a point, which you seem to have missed.

What happened in Canada just shows that Winter Warz out-played Han. Hell you can even say it shows that he's a better player. But I don't see how suddenly, this means that GGA isn't good enough to win a Canada major. Hell, by that argument, I can say it shows that this Canada major didn't matter, since none of the really elite players of either team bothered to go there to begin with (which would be a harsh argument by the way).

i dont know what happened to my edit, but here ill reply it again

Your statement is based off of a hypothetical scenario.

Toryuken was real and it happened.
winter wouldnt even be on a real vsm 5vs5 for real and he still won toryuken and gga was missing 2 people.
winter is like a 6th string, and he won. thats not even taking away from him. vsm is just strong

in this case 16 bit should edit his post to say just "dizzy" cuz he for sure wont win and no one else in gga will

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
I'm sure the Bulls would have dominated the 90's without Pippen and Jordan. And the Lakers would have dominated the 00's without Shak and Kobe. Spoiler: no they wouldn't have. I guess that means they're not a good team.
I guess so. The point still stands.
Edit- By the way that analogy doesn't even work. It isn't like the whole team is competing against another team at the same time. They are two very different events.

coolwhip

Noob
I'm not here to throw a pity party for GGA. I am neither associated with them, nor do they need me to defend them. Hell, their record speaks for itself. But the kind of logic thrown around here is astounding. VSM is the best team in the world based on results by the way, but the arguments thrown above are really faulty.

coolwhip

Noob
I guess so. The point still stands.
How does it still stand? Take REO and Maxter out of VSM and see how their results would suddenly drop in the past 9 months. So yeah, you take 16 Bit and Dizzy out of GGA, and they take a strong hit. And again, VSM is a better team based on results. But implying that not winning a major in Canada makes GGA any less of a team when they didn't have their two best players there is silly. WW beating Han just means WW outplayed him, or that he's a better player. But you don't base your judgment on a team off of one (minor) event. Before anyone takes issue with my "minor" comment, tell me, how many top MK players were in that Canada tourney? Now tell me how many WEREN'T. I rest my case.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
How does it still stand? Take REO and Maxter out of VSM and see how their results would suddenly drop in the past 9 months. So yeah, you take 16 Bit and Dizzy out of GGA, and they take a strong hit. And again, VSM is a better team based on results. But implying that not winning a major in Canada makes GGA any less of a team when they didn't have their two best players there is silly. WW beating Han just means WW outplayed him, or that he's a better player. But you don't base your judgment on a team off of one (minor) event. Before anyone takes issue with my "minor" comment, tell me, how many top MK players were in that Canada tourney? Now tell me how many WEREN'T. I rest my case.
I don't think the point is getting through your head... the team is winning because they have 16 Bit and Dizzy. The team isn't technically winning... 16 Bit and Dizzy are. That is the only point I am trying to make.

The team is winning because of one or two players... if you take them away... the team will lose. Not because you took two players away... but because you took away who ever was winning for the team. I am not doubting any team. I cant speak on that because I am horrible at the game. I am pointing out what should be common sense.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
in this case 16 bit should edit his post to say just "dizzy" cuz he for sure wont win and no one else in gga will

I'm not saying i'm a top 5 favorite to win but last weekend I placed top 3 and beat Wound Cowboy, MIT and last year's champion.

For some reason we're also forgetting FR champion Wafflez.

coolwhip

Noob
I don't think the point is getting through your head... the team is winning because they have 16 Bit and Dizzy. The team isn't technically winning... 16 Bit and Dizzy are. That is the only point I am trying to make.

The team is winning because of one or two players... if you take them away... the team will lose. Not because you took two players away... but because you took away who ever was winning for the team. I am not doubting any team. I cant speak on that because I am horrible at the game. I am pointing out what should be common sense.
Literally the same applies to VSM. By that logic, it wasn't the team winning, it's REO and Maxter (or CD Jr. last year).

So other members of the team finishing multiple top 8's doesn't matter? Tommy Wafflez winning Final Round (a far more stacked tournament than Canada) doesn't matter? Jeremiah getting top 8 in that tournament doesn't matter?

The same goes for VSM. WW has had really good results. CD Sr. finishes top 8 in the majority of the tournaments that he attends. That's what makes them a great team. The same way guys like Wafflez and Jeremiah finishing top 8, in addition to Dizzy and 16 Bit, make GGA a great team.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Literally the same applies to VSM. By that logic, it wasn't the team winning, it's REO and Maxter (or CD Jr. last year).

So other members of the team finishing multiple top 8's doesn't matter? Tommy Wafflez winning Final Round (a far more stacked tournament than Canada) doesn't matter? Jeremiah getting top 8 in that tournament doesn't matter?

The same goes for VSM. WW has had really good results. CD Sr. finishes top 8 in the majority of the tournaments that he attends. That's what makes them a great team. The same way guys like Wafflez and Jeremiah finishing top 8, in addition to Dizzy and 16 Bit, make GGA a great team.
I was just using the example you gave. My argument was a general position argument... so yes consistency would dictate that it applies to all teams with similar circumstances. I also understand that good players make a good team... I was just pointing out an obvious notion.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
I want to play again, but I wish there was more SoCal players serious enough to train with me. I want to return to Evo with a deadly Cyrax and not stop at 9th place this time.
I'm sure we would just most people can't make it out on Fridays lol

we need more EGP tournaments really
I can make it on Fridays if the time frame is Frank n Sons style. (Not this Friday though lol.)

I'll also start hosting late night Monday sessions leading up to EVO. ;)

coolwhip

Noob
I was just using the example you gave. My argument was a general position argument... so yes consistency would dictate that it applies to all teams with similar circumstances. I also understand that good players make a good team... I was just pointing out an obvious notion.
Good players make a good team. Great players make a team even better. You take out the great players from a team and leave only the good players (and again, I don't mean to disrespect anyone), the team becomes slightly less good. Isn't THAT an obvious notion too?

You take out Bit, Dizzy and Wafflez with GGA, they're still a good team (as evidenced by guys like Jeremiah, Pim Pim Jim, Han and Soonk getting top 8's), but just not as good as they are WITH those players.

The same applies to any other team really.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Good players make a good team. Great players make a team even better. You take out the great players from a team and leave only the good players (and again, I don't mean to disrespect anyone), the team becomes slightly less good. Isn't THAT an obvious notion too?

You take out Bit, Dizzy and Wafflez with GGA, they're still a good team (as evidenced by guys like Jeremiah, Pim Pim Jim, Han and Soonk getting top 8's), but just not as good as they are WITH those players.

The same applies to any other team really.
Yes. That is an obvious notion. What the hell are we arguing about? ;)