What's new

Who Was/Is The Dark Horse Of MKX?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
This isn't a poll, just a broad assessment.

Who's the one not obvious top tier character/variation that you think was never taken as seriously as they deserved?

In the time before the death of armored launchers (and the total redesign of his metagame), I would have said Cryomancer Sub-Zero never got the exposure he deserves. Now, not so much.

I firmly believe Killer Leatherface (maybe even Pretty Lady but no one has ever put in the time) is better than he will ever get credit for. Maybe just because I don't win with anymore more than him and I'm convinced it's because he's carrying me.

Opinions?

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
looking at the list it feels like almost everyone had their time in the sun

if there was a sleeper it was probably Deceptive at some point, or Spectral

Wigy

There it is...
For how good lasher was he was fairly underrepresented.

Maybe just cause the other variations were much easier to play and also strong

I feel like Dualist Liu Kang had one of the most interesting character designs and he could've at least competed with some of the top tier when played at a high level. He just required so much work it wasn't even worth it to develop his meta.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
I feel like Dualist Liu Kang had one of the most interesting character designs and he could've at least competed with some of the top tier when played at a high level. He just required so much work it wasn't even worth it to develop his meta.
Sorry but Dualist was at BEST a tier 3 variation... Dualist main here since day one... that variation was hard AF to work with and easy to counter thanks to the double armor buff on most characters. :(

Going to go with Dragon's Fire Liu Kang on this one.
Hell yeah, Dragon's Fire was THE thing. :D

Wigy

There it is...
Going to go with Dragon's Fire Liu Kang on this one.
Wait what?

How is dragon fire a dark horse?

Character got tonnes of play and was under discussion all the time for balance?

He was like the only counter to alien when he was OP

Goro. Practically all his buttons were plus, had a command grab, the easiest hit-confirmable, full combo-starting, completely safe special in the game that he could add 3 hits of armor to with meter. Armored wake up telestomp was pretty broken too. The last patch had him become able to do true zoning with the fireball buff which worked best in conjunction with Kuatans ground pound.

DeftMonk

Noob
For how good lasher was he was fairly underrepresented.

Maybe just cause the other variations were much easier to play and also strong
I haven't played mkx in a long ass time but uh wasn't lasher the most braindead of all 3? I preferred the one with the light sabers (cant remember name) but the potential for pressure/conversions/frame traps was much greater if I remember correctly with the two non lasher variations. Lasher was pretty potato.

Wigy

There it is...
I haven't played mkx in a long ass time but uh wasn't lasher the most braindead of all 3? I preferred the one with the light sabers (cant remember name) but the potential for pressure/conversions/frame traps was much greater if I remember correctly with the two non lasher variations. Lasher was pretty potato.
Ronin was definitely captain potato.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
In terms of a character that was secretly really good? Probably Reptile. Spectral and Displacer I felt like we’re recognized as top by the end. I don’t know that any TOP tier was hiding under the radar.

And definitely not Cryomancer like the OP says. It was SZ’s worst variation and soooo overrated

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I don't know about hidden top tier but Bo' Rai Cho was unquestionably the dark horse of MKX if you ask me. Absolutely had the mix and the lack of representation to come in and shock a top 8. He's easy to counterpick but he's the type of character that does better in short sets(like FT3) because his mix and setplay is so strong. I just think people didn't want to take a chance on him because he came later in the game and clearly had bad matchups.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Actually fuck it I think Crystalline was way up there, Tremor as a whole was slept on last patch.
Tremor never got the representation he deserved for all the tools he had. I don't think he did well against Mileena though which may of hurt people's outlook on him. He was broken as hell at one point and was never far from the top, even for that month where regular uprock didn't combo. Metallic was a thoroughly competent variation, Aftershock and Crystalline were both very strong. It's a shame we didn't get to see him a little more, he's such a cool character and is very fun to watch.