What's new

Question - Kung Jin Who should I try next?

Varion

Noob
i love king jin, he'll probably always be my main, but who else should I move on to learning next?

Juffalo

Noob
Since kung is a very aggressive in your face character I'd say try a defensive character so you can try a different play style and see how it suits you. Try grandmaster sub zero or maybe kitana.

mgoss

Noob
Perhaps Liu Kang. But if Kung Jin is your first character you learned, then it's going to be hard to face roll people and get free wins online.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Why do you say that? I picked up Raiden no problem
I think he meant to imply that the Jinmeister is braindead easy to use and win with (which he is), and that other characters actually require skill to use in order to win.

Why don't you try out Kung Jin's cousin?

I really don't get it why people can't stop complaining about Kung Jin. He really isn't OP, yes it has some hits that are very good but all in all it is a balanced character , and tell me a character that has no OP special move or kombo?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I really don't get it why people can't stop complaining about Kung Jin. He really isn't OP, yes it has some hits that are very good but all in all it is a balanced character , and tell me a character that has no OP special move or kombo?
He does so much damage meterless, more than other characters can get for using their meter in the first place.

Safety on everything.

Most characters have to work twice as hard just to match his damage, and even then they lack frequency of opportunity to get that damage because either:

A) They don't have SAFE overheads and lows
B) They need meter for other things other than just damage

There's no need for a KJ player to save breaker, just keep guessing on your armour, it takes 2 right reads for the opponent, compared to one right read for the KJ player to get around 40%

He's not balanced as he is. Ideally, he needs to do less damage in bojitsu than the rest of the cast.

A character shouldn't have options that are simultaneously: safe, long reaching, damaging, overhead or low AND hit confirmable.

So I'm answer to your question @Varion, try someone more honest, someone that actually has to play the game like everybody else, with consequences.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
He does so much damage meterless, more than other characters can get for using their meter in the first place.

Safety on everything.

Most characters have to work twice as hard just to match his damage, and even then they lack frequency of opportunity to get that damage because either:

A) They don't have SAFE overheads and lows
B) They need meter for other things other than just damage

There's no need for a KJ player to save breaker, just keep guessing on your armour, it takes 2 right reads for the opponent, compared to one right read for the KJ player to get around 40%

He's not balanced as he is. Ideally, he needs to do less damage in bojitsu than the rest of the cast.

A character shouldn't have options that are simultaneously: safe, long reaching, damaging, overhead or low AND hit confirmable.

So I'm answer to your question @Varion, try someone more honest, someone that actually has to play the game like everybody else, with consequences.
Pretty sure he will be nerfed.

I say either his damage output on Bojutsu will be very low without meter. Or his overhead will be even slower.

If his overhead remains as it is, it won't be safe on block anymore.

im having the same problem to be honest, my mains were flash and green lantern on injustice, ive learned most of kung jins combos and ive learned that people online consider him "nooby" I really want to learn someone else with a similar play style to flash from injustice but I just cant find anyone:( any suggestions?

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Things to know about Kung Jin Bojutsu that all the nerf demanders keep forgetting or just don't know:

The overhead low mixup can be fuzzy guarded. No one does it at the moment but it is honestly very possible since his overhead starter is much slower than the low one...
I honestly think that f2 overhead will get blocked on reaction after a few months from now.

All his special moves except DB4 EX are very punishable, but somehow people don't do anything after blocking and even in tournament settings I have seen players missing easy punishes. He can't throw out armor for free, no way.

His wake ups are good but not invincible like some say. If you do a crossup when he does any wakeup move he whiffs and gets comboed easily...but NO ONE does that lol.

The only nerf he deserves is about his damage in Bojutsu, which should get toned down by a good 5% imho. All the rest is fine.
Characters like Sub-Zero, Raiden, Quan Chi and Jax are much worse than Jin honestly.

Things to know about Kung Jin Bojutsu that all the nerf demanders keep forgetting or just don't know:

The overhead low mixup can be fuzzy guarded. No one does it at the moment but it is honestly very possible since his overhead starter is much slower than the low one...
I honestly think that f2 overhead will get blocked on reaction after a few months from now.

All his special moves except DB4 EX are very punishable, but somehow people don't do anything after blocking and even in tournament settings I have seen players missing easy punishes. He can't throw out armor for free, no way.

His wake ups are good but not invincible like some say. If you do a crossup when he does any wakeup move he whiffs and gets comboed easily...but NO ONE does that lol.

The only nerf he deserves is about his damage in Bojutsu, which should get toned down by a good 5% imho. All the rest is fine.
Characters like Sub-Zero, Raiden, Quan Chi and Jax are much worse than Jin honestly.
yeah another thing Is I have to feel completely comfortable with the inputs when im learning a character and kung jin I don't feel comfortable. I need to settle on someone I can feel comfortable with I just don't know who yet lol.

TOC EdDoughBoy

Jax Bruh
Lets not nerf anyone unless its an infinite or not humanly possible to counter a move or mixup or what ever a char. may have and just buff every char. to meet the high tiers. Good idea?

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness

People are lost in thinking only about what the tools are... this early in the game, the players don't want to even think about getting creative with their tools to become better in the matchup through subtle intricacies that can be performed to make Kung Jin a lot worse.
All of his combo starting specials are full-combo punishable, the only safe special he can cancel into is the METERBURN overhead flip or the *meterburn* arrows.
If you're forced to block (which, if you're a great player, should mostly happen in vortex,) start off blocking low, then switch to blocking high if you SEE the high coming, release the down button.
Even the meterless 7% overhead in his B2, 1, 4+2 string is unsafe when blocked.
Only the best offline Kung Jins are hitconfirming his overhead and low, most are just dialing in the combo specials right now.
Even meterburn Divekick is full combo punishable by most characters, its minus 9 or 10, right?
If he is hitconfirming to make himself safe, then he may miss hit sometimes and only do like 8%. But I probably shouldn't rely on player error for analysis, point taken.
Maybe make his mixup strings more negative, to a point where the opponent should know its their turn to start pressure-- but not punishable, that would ruin the character: (which a lot of you saltlords want, but only the saltlords.)
I can see why it hurts to be poked over and over, F2,4 (overhead hit confirm string) probably shouldn't be neutral on block. Kung Jin's opponent should be rewarded at least a little bit for blocking the option, even if Kung Jin's player didn't make the mistake of dialing in the special too early.
Out-damaging the rest of the cast is part of his design, it makes Bojutsu cool, but if you guys insist on not letting me do 37% meterless midscreen and 46% 1 bar in the corner, then fine, take 3% away. But he hits hard, you can hear it, that's the point of him in Bojutsu.
Here's another thing that should happen--
BUFF SHAO LIN KUNG JIN, WHY WOULD I USE THAT ONE. BECAUSE I'M SUCH A HUGE FAN OF CHAKRAM DISKS?

next you should try normalized Kung Jin after the wave of patches to see if your fundamentals are still on point :joker: