What's new

Who of the NRS era characters would be most welcome by you in MK1?

Who of the NRS era characters would YOU welcome in MK1?

• Total voters

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Poll is there, as you can see - cast your votes guys!

I'd add my thougts and feelings and would like to open the discussion about future additions. I get that NRS have the plans already confirmed and it is pure speculation thread, but sometimes voice of fans can be heard.
So, here are my thougths and opinions.

Skarlet - first “brand new” NRS era character would very much fit MK1 and even from the lore perspective, she can be one of Shao/Shang’s experiments. Her playstyle using blood would be something interesting and I’d prefer her more as main fighter rather than kameo.
Verdict: Should be added as main character

Cassie Cage - more or less confirmed by leaks but I would see her rather as a kameo - even as a replacement of Janet. In current state of the game, we should get Sonya as a main fighter instead of her.
Verdict: Should be added as kameo (replacing Janet ideally)

D’Vorah - yea, tough choice but I guess she SHOULD be in the game. Her race is quite original, her powers are unique, she definitely suit well as main fighter
Verdict: Should be added as main character

Erron Black - I like him a lot. I really hope that he will finally make the game as main fighter but the odds are low. He is also quite unique, his presence would be explainable, there is a lot of potential of utilizing his moveset in the game. My opinion is that he is somewhere there in NRS plans to be added as kameo. Unfortunately.
Verdict: Should be added as main but most likely he will end up as kameo

Jacqui - similar situation to Cassie/Sonya. So we should get Jax instead and we can get her as kameo. That would make a lot of sense and actually she can be utilized nicely as kameo.
Verdict: Should be added as kameo

Kotal - I think it’s safe to be said that almost all of us would like to see his redemption finally. After his treatment in MKX and MK11 he definitely deserves some more love (not only from Jade). His archetype is so cool that it’s a crime it remain unused in MK1.
Verdict: Should be added as main character ASAP

Kung Jin - I have a similar filling as for Erron Black. I think he should be added as main but most likely he will be kameo. Both options are fine for me and if I have a choice I’d prefer Erron over Kung Jin as main. I assume NRS have some plans for him as we already saw his redesign (which is quite OK-ish). I personally like the most the hooded version of him. His bowman archetype also allows for some cool representation in the game, he could be super heavy zoner for example, or - as a kameo - have frozen/fire/poisonous arrows to be picked from out of. Lot of possibilities waiting to be used.
Verdict: Should be added to the game. Both kameo and main character options are OK

Cetrion - that’s probably the character I like the least out of the whole MK roster. Of course I’d take her over ANY guest at any time, but speaking purely about MK lore - she should sit this one (and all other games) out. Boring, uninspired, mix of powers belonging to other characters. The only way of redemption for her is redesigning her purely into plant-power lady
Verdict: Should sit out unless redesigned

Kollector - I’m probably one of a few die-hard fans of Kollector. I hope he will eventually be added to the game as the possibilities of having the backpack filled with literally everything can be used in a lot of creative ways. But I have to be honest with myself - I don’t have high hopes for him being added in any way. But if it’s up to me - he should be in the roster as main
Verdict: Should be added to the game as main character but it’s most likely not gonna happen

---

Ferra/Torr - Ferra will be a kameo and I guess that’s fair. They never became as popular as they should, so putting Ferra in game as kameo is at least something that may please fans. If I were to choose, I’d definitely take them over any guest character and I actually really liked the concept in MKX. But the jobber treatment did not help at all in developing anything interesting related to the very intriguing symbiotic relationship

Takeda - returning as a main fighter. Good choice after sitting MK11 out. Can’t wait

Kronika - not putting her as downgrading such powerful being to a regular fighter would not make any sense at all (at least at this point)

Triborg - I don’t consider this abomination as a new character. Lazy ass move that should NEVER EVER happen in Mortal Kombat.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Well, I have been asking for Ahsara and Motaro in every one of these threads since MK9... so I am really not sure what to ask for now. I mean I think MK1 has one of the best casts ever. So many golden roster slots and we get great nods to many others in kameos.

I guess I would like to see some more of the new blood... D'Vorah and FeraTor. Also a playable Kano would be sweet. The thing is othes like say the cyber dudes are already there as kameos. As MK has moved onward we are basically only have the new games or the 3D era games to draw from now, almost everyone else has had a spot form the earl 2D ones.

I think it would be cool to finally get that fire guy from the stage background... I honestly ca't remember if he has ever been in an actual game.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
I think the "fire guy" has been translated into Blaze eventually. Unless you messed some things and asking about Hornbuckle (green Liu Kang afair).
Thread was purely directed at the NRS era characters but yea - feel free to actually suggest any character from any era :)

And if we are extending this - I'd personally love to see:

• Fujin - WIND POWERS!!!! And one of my favourites from MK4 and perfectly translated into a modern character in MK11 [but please, no genderswapping]
  • Nightwolf - OG Nightwolf, not his ancestor/descendant
  • Jade - my 2nd fav MK lady, thank elder gods she is practically a given right now
  • Kano/Sonya/Jax - to fulfil the main roster with classics
  • Kintaro & Sheeva - we need more non-human characters and Kintaro was not playable since XIX century, so he should be a solid pick (but probably will end up as kameo)
  • Kabal - for the sake of utilizing his speed powers (come on NRS, I bet you have some early build of Flash that can be re-used here ;))
  • Bo Rai Cho - revamped into a proper drunken monk without puking & farting - can be a kameo only but let him be in the game
and I can actually count untill there are no MK fighters left :D be fair i'd welcome all characters from MK lore either as kameos or regular fighters but that's not gonna be possible unless they are going to really go with MK1 as "game as service" and instead of developing MK2 they will extend this game to the enormous amount of fighters playable.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I think Skarlet is the most obvious. She feels like a classic character, despite being in a total of TWO games. She is a red ninja-witch-assassin who controls blood, there is nothing more Mortal Kombat than that.

Kotal is also very good. Aztec god with totens, big sword and sun powers - you will never run out of creative movesets with that.

I'd also very much like to have Triborg back, but not having Cyrax/Sektor powers. Instead, I'd like him to be something like a proxy that can be Cyborg Smoke in a game where Human Smoke is present, so they can coexist without any time-stuff or multiverse bullshit. The same goes for Cyber Sub-Zero, or Hydro, or whatever. Make him a sort of "Cyber Chameleon" perhaps, or just say fuck it and have him be a cyborg with magnetic powers or some shit that is Sektor's new ally once Cyrax regains his humanity.

I also think Cassie and Takeda are the best Kombat Kids and they can stay, the rest I dont really care for.

D'vorah has potential to be a very different character, moveset-wise, so I'd put her in the "maybe" list. So for, I can only see her as a weird Drahmin that has the flies powers with long-reach appendages for her normals and can cause diarrhea explosions from the ground. Meh. I want a full blown spider with more venom powers and perhaps something like Konjurer Alien with eggs filled with creepy crawlies having different properties.

Everything else is a no for me.

I’m not sure how to add a survey so if anyone can help me edit it - would appreciate help :)
If you mean posting a poll, when you create your thread (and I assume edit?), towards the bottom of the page just above preview there's a "Post Poll" option.

For NetherRealm Studios era characters, I really enjoyed the bulk of them.

I'd love to see the following return:

• Kotal
  • D'Vorah
  • Erron Black
  • Kronika
  • Cassie
  • Skarlet
The following have potential if they were expanded upon properly:

• Ferra/Torr
  • Cetrion
I personally don't care much for:

• Kung Jin
  • Jacquie
  • Kollector
Personally wouldn't be bothered if Jacquie and Kollector never appeared again.

Update: forgot about Triborg. Since he was a unique use of the Variation system in Mortal Kombat XL and a non-canon character, I don't see a reason for him to return and would rather have the cyberninjas proper.

rifraf

Noob
I'm obviously biased so I'm going to say the cyborgs. They absolutely, without a single doubt NEED to be in the main roster.

Sektor
Cyrax
Cyber Sub-Zero
Cyber Smoke
Cyber Rain
Cyber Reptile

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
If you mean posting a poll, when you create your thread (and I assume edit?), towards the bottom of the page just above preview there's a "Post Poll" option.
Thank you - poll added. You are all welcome to cast your votes

I'd also very much like to have Triborg back, but not having Cyrax/Sektor powers. Instead, I'd like him to be something like a proxy that can be Cyborg Smoke in a game where Human Smoke is present, so they can coexist without any time-stuff or multiverse bullshit. The same goes for Cyber Sub-Zero, or Hydro, or whatever. Make him a sort of "Cyber Chameleon" perhaps, or just say fuck it and have him be a cyborg with magnetic powers or some shit that is Sektor's new ally once Cyrax regains his humanity.
But that would be actually a Brand New character - like Cyber Enenra or something? And that would be a cool idea indeed, because having more ORIGINAL cyborgs is always neat.

Personally i despise all the mkx and mk11 new characters,im so happy with the roster of MK1,i play pretty much all of them.

The only decent new characters of NRS are geras(best of them all) takeda,and kotal.Skarlet is like an og in a league of her own and an incredible character,if we look at all nrs games she is the best"newcomer", i would not put her in the same category of new characters like the mkx and 11 ones(though i do nit like what they did to her in mk 11,similarly to rain in mk1 she is some mage instead of a ninja)

I dont know how many Kombat packs are planned or how many we get but i hope they are not populated by the mkx or mk11 new characters.I dont like them and they were all over the place from 2015-2023,they can take a back seat.Especially when there are characters like kintaro hotaru chameleon(male ninjas) still out there that we havent seen for a long time and the ones that we did see id rather them be skarlet jade and fujin then any of the mkx/mk11 new characters.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Thank you - poll added. You are all welcome to cast your votes

But that would be actually a Brand New character - like Cyber Enenra or something? And that would be a cool idea indeed, because having more ORIGINAL cyborgs is always neat.
Yes, I'm more or less thinking he should be "rebranded", but could maintain his gimmick of having powers of other cyborgs that appeared in the franchise - NOT Cyrax and Sektor though. But could be a character that has, say, Cyber Reptile powers, or Cyber Noob binary code clones, or whatever. Safest bet would be for him to have new powers.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I voted Skarlett, Erron Black, and Cetrion. I wouldn't mind the kombat kids to return how they are to return in some capacity. But I never felt gameplay of Kotal Kahn, Kollector, or Dvorah. Their designs were neat. Perhaps they could be Kameos. I think Kronika could at least appear as a Kameo. and Geras lied to liu kang so he can lie about killing a titan not returning.

Basically if you're not a Kombat Kid and you're not Cetrion. You're welcome to come back to MK1 in my book.

But out of all of them:
-Kotal's been mentioned to replace General Shao. I'd be up for a rivalry for those two now that they're on more equal terms as buff jobbers.
-The Kytinn have also been mentioned and we desperately need an evil female character in this timeline.
-Kollector's race has also been mentioned and Kollector himself is kinda sorta canon to Invasions? Give him another go because again need some more straight up evil characters.

Be nice to have Skarlet and Erron as Kameos though. Or vice versa for the 3 above.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Triborg - I don’t consider this abomination as a new character. Lazy ass move that should NEVER EVER happen in Mortal Kombat.
Funilly enough, I loved Triborg - it was the only time I took an interest in Sektor/Cyrax.

Meanwhile - Ferra/Torr and Cassie would be my other choices

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Loving the love for Kotal in this thread.

I keep wanting to like his gameplay but not really vibing with it, in both mkx and mk11. But even if I don't end up playing him I still really dig him as a part of MK.

God damn that man's combos would look so sick in this game. You know that string he had in mk11 where he jumps up and slams the sword down? Imagine that as part of an air combo in this game. Gawwwd.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Skarlet, Kotal, and D'Vorah for sure. Three wildly strange characters, two of which are very visually distinct.

Skarlet: we have blood magic with Nitara, but it's used very much as vampiric in style. Skarlet, however, goes full battle mage with it which I'd love to see again. Also, more evil feminine energy please.

Kotal: the male GOAT of the modern era characters. A prideful and honor-bound walking tank that could be a good option as a core grappler in the cast. Also can never go wrong with badass sun magic and Aztec vibes.

D'Vorah: the female GOAT of the modern era characters. Despicable, conniving, murderous, ugly, and scary - a stark contrast to the very pretty cast of MK1. Also again, more evil feminine energy.

Kotal and Dvorah.
Some of the most interesting designs they’ve done and I still think they’ve been sleeping on the potential of mortal kombat Aztec inspired warlord when it comes to moves and fatalities.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Make him a sort of "Cyber Chameleon" perhaps, or just say fuck it and have him be a cyborg with magnetic powers or some shit that is Sektor's new ally once Cyrax regains his humanity
This is actually a pretty cool idea. He could throw metal knives that stick in the opponent on a timer and could have moves that repel or pull the opponent closer. Think Quans green portal, something that magnetically controls the movement of the opponent when they have knives stacked in them.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Ferra/Torr could be really interesting now that NRS has dipped into proper puppet characters. Overall underappreciated character that exists in a single game.
The big mistake they made with Ferra Torr was the lack of a story mode chapter. Their design was one of the most unique in MK history. Their tower ending was probably the best and most tragic in MKX and they missed an opportunity to expand on that. Storylines do make a massive difference to the perception of the character. Personally, I think all new characters should receive their own chapter or they should not include them.

I would 100% welcome them back if their story was expanded on.