What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Swarm Queen Who are you struggling with

BornThroughAshes

Devil Apes
Legit, so the real question is: are you playing online or offline?

Remember we're +10 on F112 WGC, so that's an unarmor-able into d4, standing 2 (+2), and standing 1. So she cannot armor out of pressure for free. I will admit it's harder to make her cancels frame perfect so that she can't get out, but gotta keep that tight.

Here's the other thing: Cassie's ex flip is only safe when she's not near a corner. The Cassie's I play like to keep the spacing with walking backwards and forcing the mistake, if you get Cassie into the corner you can really screw her, you mentioned our disadvantages but here are our advantages:

We out pressure her
We out damage her
We're safer on offense w/o meter.

Cassie's flip is full punishable and we get corner pressure, where all her armor is punishable. Likewise, our f22 is safe on block and leads to a combo, where Cassie's is punishable without meter

In the mid screen id say Cassie has an upper hand, but work her into the corner and D'vorah has an upper hand by far. My opinion is the matchup is 5-5 or slightly in Cassie's advantage, we punish her flip kick hard but she has better spacing. Also I believe her f1 is a high, which we can d4 under. I hope this helps!
Hey man.

First of all thanks for the response, appreciate the feedback.

I play online and occasionally offline. Either way, I don't have much trouble jailing 2, 1, or d4 after f112 WGC.

You raised some interesting points in your post which I'll definitely consider. Basing my gameplan on getting Cassie into the corner sounds like a legit strategy.

Looking back, it was the midscreen game and the lack of options I had full screen against her that frustrated me the most. I always seemed to be walking after Cassie while trying to not give her any openings. Eventually, I would get opened up because of a mistake or a well spaced b1.

I will hit the lab more and try to expoit my advantages to the fullest in that matchup. By the sounds of it, I'll also need to work on my patience. :D

Edit: Yes, our d1 is listed 8f in the frame data.

Last edited:

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
In the mid screen id say Cassie has an upper hand, but work her into the corner and D'vorah has an upper hand by far. My opinion is the matchup is 5-5 or slightly in Cassie's advantage, we punish her flip kick hard but she has better spacing. Also I believe her f1 is a high, which we can d4 under. I hope this helps!
When you Corner cassie You have to be extremely patient though because if she hits with her exflipkick ( and that can happen easily if you're getting a bit too greedy) she will cross run and corner you instead. Almost every character struggle vs cassie in the corner but dvorah only has her Slow db4 armor move which can be broken easily by cassie. I'd even say it's worse to be cornered by spec ops than by Hollywood because dvorah has so little options to get out.

Good thing is that her exflip has a horrible hitbox so work with that. Whenever you wgc and she Blocks force her to reversal out of it and cancel into Block. Like you said exflip is actually punishable in the corner and once you make the right read you can to big damage to her.

omooba

fear the moobs
Personally, I have been having many frustrations with the Takeda Ryu matchup. With his huge range on his strings, amazing anti air (one of the best njp in the game), and extreme mobility from everyone on screen (great fast teleport, low hitting projectile, and his overhead instant air chain). Every single one of his overhead combos he can cancel into those low projectile. I'm just finding it difficult to get close to Takeda. Any tips?

I'm also having struggles with:

Inferno Scorp (quite literally has full screen 50/50 projectiles which is infuriating)
Quan Chi (unblockable vortex for days and hella zoning)
Grandmaster Sub (So fast... less of a problem but just so fast)
Kotal Kan (The version with the huge blade)
Jax (He out pressures, out zones, out knockdowns, out wake ups, and out corners D'vorah)

What about y'all?
pressure characters like lao tanya bitch

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Wassup fellow Bugs. I have a question that is really killing me here.

How do you deal with Crystalline Tremor's corner pressure? I'm doing ok enough in the MU itself, still learning it, but once I'm in the corner I'm like a fish out of water. Anyone have answers or strategy I can apply here?

Much, much appreciated.

The Highlander

There can be only one
Wassup fellow Bugs. I have a question that is really killing me here.

How do you deal with Crystalline Tremor's corner pressure? I'm doing ok enough in the MU itself, still learning it, but once I'm in the corner I'm like a fish out of water. Anyone have answers or strategy I can apply here?

Much, much appreciated.
Depends what you mean by corner pressure.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Depends what you mean by corner pressure.
Once he gets you in the corner he throws up his Crystal Shield and goes to work with pressure and mixups. At that point all I can do is either block or be hit. I have a veryyyyy hard time getting out the corner alive once I'm KD.

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
Once he gets you in the corner he throws up his Crystal Shield and goes to work with pressure and mixups. At that point all I can do is either block or be hit. I have a veryyyyy hard time getting out the corner alive once I'm KD.
One sucky part of this matchup is Tremor's corner game is sooo good, and our defense is such shit that if he pins you in the corner, you're most likely going to lose. As far as advice goes: block all day!

What I mean by that is hold down on the knock down and block low then fuzzy guard high for the last hit. I don't know how neg he is after this but enough where you should counter poke. As far as the crystal cancels: when he csncels I believe he is negative, enough where we can poke out. However! The string into the crystal throw can't be interrupted, so it's guessing when he's going to cancel or not. If the crystal hits he's slightly negative and we can poke (I believe). BUT! He can also armor after the string and fuck ya

So it's guessing: when will he cancel or not? When will he armor after blocked strings? The corner against tremor is a bitch for sure. Hope this helped!

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
One sucky part of this matchup is Tremor's corner game is sooo good, and our defense is such shit that if he pins you in the corner, you're most likely going to lose. As far as advice goes: block all day!

What I mean by that is hold down on the knock down and block low then fuzzy guard high for the last hit. I don't know how neg he is after this but enough where you should counter poke. As far as the crystal cancels: when he csncels I believe he is negative, enough where we can poke out. However! The string into the crystal throw can't be interrupted, so it's guessing when he's going to cancel or not. If the crystal hits he's slightly negative and we can poke (I believe). BUT! He can also armor after the string and fuck ya

So it's guessing: when will he cancel or not? When will he armor after blocked strings? The corner against tremor is a bitch for sure. Hope this helped!
This explains a lot and helps me get an idea on what I need to fix. Thanks a ton!!! I'll try to implement this tomorrow night. Hopefully with much better success lol.

Motherfucking Jax.
Jax can be dealt with. Try to always have the initiative. Use your range to good effect. Make him
Respect a few things and then pressure the hell out of him. He has gaps and super punishable specials on block. Land one 44% and you're fine.

Jax can be dealt with. Try to always have the initiative. Use your range to good effect. Make him
Respect a few things and then pressure the hell out of him. He has gaps and super punishable specials on block. Land one 44% and you're fine.
The problem is that I find myself outgunned both in close and range figh and I just find it very diffucult to excape his pressure.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
@TopTierHarley I just finished watching your online sets with Ragnarok' AS Tremor. Your cancels were on point esp. little prick~wgc. Things were pretty scary everytime he cornered or oki'd you and vice versa of course, so I've been wondering if you think she goes even or loses to him in the end.
I feel she could go even. I had no idea what to do about the corner oki at that time. It's definitely a struggle for her, but I don't think she loses it.

KillaGthug4Life

Motherfucking Jax.
Lol Jax ol' buddy. Dat bitch. Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of this matchup, nor do I hate it more than anything. So Jax doesn't have too many mixups but he has great pressure and his game comes in when guessing we're going to poke out. We do out footsi him, but he does out pressure us with our shitty armor and 8 frame poke. So here's my general advice:

1. Dont let him get close, keep backing up and force Jax to run in. His zoning isn't very good unless you're playing against his cancel variation where it's a little better. When he runs in, d3, or d2 the jump in attempt. That way you get to set up the pressure on hit.

2. If he is pressuring you wait until the poke out which is negative. Let him pressure you a bit and read the patterns as to when he staggers and when you can counter poke. As far as mixups nearly everything is low high fuzzy guard save for his rare overhead move. His overhead special is hella punishable on block.

3. If you're playing pumped up, his projectile is plus up close, if you see him try to do 22 into that, just armor through.

4. Be very conscious of meter. Just because Jax can do such heavy shit in the corner I always save my breaker for his corner combos. His wakeups are all punishable on read, but be conscious of that and play tight defensive cancels, more frame traps and less mixups tbh.

5. I personally like venemous more in this matchup because it's a more footsi based one keeping dat bitch out of his pressure range. And she gets a bigger hit on pokes, also armor breaking spray comes in handy hardcore.

Hope this helps!

pH34rZ

Noob
Can someone please help me with Tremor matchup?
He just confirms off his rocks at full screen, and has insane presure in the corner.
Cant jump in I just get armor up-punch into 35% |:

Aftershock var mainly.

@HoneyBee @TopTierHarley Help a fellow hive member :)

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Can someone please help me with Tremor matchup?
He just confirms off his rocks at full screen, and has insane presure in the corner.
Cant jump in I just get armor up-punch into 35% |:

Aftershock var mainly.

@HoneyBee @TopTierHarley Help a fellow hive member :)
Counter zone with puddle, b12 breaks armor, d4 and d1 when he approaches with F1. Dvorah can literally run through rock throw, and U3 avoids air quake.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Wow, good advice! also, when im stuck in corner pressure, anything specific to do?
The corner is weird, you'll have to do something outrageous like low poke under the f1 or try and jump out. You can also do a slight delayed wakeup and armor. When locked down just block low and mash armor, if it's the low you'll get out, if it's the OH you block and get to punish. Will try and make a video showing it.

pH34rZ

Noob
The corner is weird, you'll have to do something outrageous like low poke under the f1 or try and jump out. You can also do a slight delayed wakeup and armor. When locked down just block low and mash armor, if it's the low you'll get out, if it's the OH you block and get to punish. Will try and make a video showing it.
Please do!, if you would like, we might be able to train on the PS4? (although Im quite far from the US).

KillaGthug4Life

I'm an idiot.. his overhead ender is punishable?! On the F1 string? Like how negative?

Or are you talking about his 10000 framed overhead special?

KillaGthug4Life

I'm having trouble against Tempest (Swam Queen here) any tips , especially what to hit back with during his pressure
I to have had trouble with tempest. Tempest players say the matchup is 5-5, most D'vorah players say it's 4-6 but there's some disparity for sure. So it's my understanding that all of his strings except his forward kicking move into normal hat can be interrupted with armor. It's a very good way to make him GTFO. Likewise his normal hat I believe is slightly negative, most players like to do their sweeping kick poke after or a dive kick (to beat our poke out). If you just block that then you can turn up that D'vorah pressure, but if Lao sees you respecting then he can restart pressure and stagger strings... which is a serious bitch.

I can't help you too much against his stagger strings cause those bop me pretty hard... but as far as blocking fuzzy guard high low, his overhead can be a double overhead though. My general strategy is just block him until he does a negative move or tries to do an unsafe normal hat (and armor through).

As far as poking out... d4 will go under his standing 1 which is useful, and we have a 7f standing 1, which is a good way to beat his stagger strings if you see them coming. I generally don't d1 unless to counter poke because d4 is more plus and s1 is faster/leads to combo on hit.

Another option is simply the neutral jump punch as a poke out of pressure, it works well against Tanya and does alright against Lao... it's just about reading when the stagger strings and throws come, which is very difficult.

I hope this helps a bit! Sorry I don't like this matchup very much and still haven't figured it out entirely lol.