What's new

Whiff Punishing and Such

Espio

Kokomo
My playstyle is more suited towards a defensive punishment style that I got from playing some of my other characters. So my question is, what are good whiff punishment tools for Shang Tsung in terms of combos and such?

I imagine soul steal can be used as a whiff punisher if the opponent is out of range of Shang Tsung's normals.

Any Feedback is welcome.

I'm going to be reviewing Khaotic Shang's marvelous video guides to get a feel for some of his other options, thanks all :).

NKZero

Noob
Any F4 variant, B2, F34 has great range but is a slower whiff punisher. Maybe a close ground skull depending on the circumstance or an in front up skull (very circumstantial), and as you already pointed out, soul steal.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
mainly b2 for whiff punishing pokes(there are setups for doing this) and well spaced normals, f434 for punishing strings people throw out that u space well, and f3 can be used to whiff punish pokes too or normals but is a little on the slow side and is way negative if u whiff the f3. SS catches almost 3/4 screen so that is good too.

Are these guys on crack?

Espio! Whiff punish with f3 is mega range and a low launcher. Full screen whiffs with the respective ground skull it is a launcher after all.
But up close use a f4 gs. Don't punish with f434!!! If your timeing is off at all you may pay huge for it

I also want to add that you should use f3 gs instead of f34 gs because if that first hit whiffs your gonna die during the second. Always! ALWAYS os your ground skulls so ensure your safety

And for the love of piss! Use b2 for footsies and pressure. This is a competive game and you can never aford for the minimalist piss you can dish out when you have a chance to do huge damage.
You should charge a dime for advice just to keep the free out of the forums :p

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Are these guys on crack?

Espio! Whiff punish with f3 is mega range and a low launcher. Full screen whiffs with the respective ground skull it is a launcher after all.
But up close use a f4 gs. Don't punish with f434!!! If your timeing is off at all you may pay huge for it

I also want to add that you should use f3 gs instead of f34 gs because if that first hit whiffs your gonna die during the second. Always! ALWAYS os your ground skulls so ensure your safety
F434 is so easy to HC, + if you're whiff punishing your timing shouldnt be off.

Attempting to whiff punish with F3 will quickly get you killed

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
Are these guys on crack?

u also shouldnt use f34 gs can it can be armored or poked out of on block. throwing out f3's isnt the best idea since it is 22 frames and u arent really whiff punishing anyone u are just catching them because they are not blocking low in most cases. But u may know something i dont know so i will have to see.

u also shouldnt use f34 gs can it can be armored or poked out of on block. throwing out f3's isnt the best idea since it is 22 frames and u arent really whiff punishing anyone u are just catching them because they are not blocking low in most cases. But u may know something i dont know so i will have to see.
whiff punishing is relative to the distance needed to travel and the attack duration
What I do know is all of sombreness duration frame data. Most whiff punishing comes from whiffed launchers mostly like cage b3 Lao spin ect. The whiff on most attacks is well over 30 frames which is 1 second of time. Whiff punishing something like someone's jab is unthinkable with a 22 frame low or a 20 frame over head. But the things I've stated are for sure his best whiff punishes. Whiff punishes are only for people with fast reaction skills

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
whiff punishing is relative to the distance needed to travel and the attack duration
What I do know is all of sombreness duration frame data. Most whiff punishing comes from whiffed launchers mostly like cage b3 Lao spin ect. The whiff on most attacks is well over 30 frames which is 1 second of time. Whiff punishing something like someone's jab is unthinkable with a 22 frame low or a 20 frame over head. But the things I've stated are for sure his best whiff punishes. Whiff punishes are only for people with fast reaction skills
um mk works on a 60 frame/second system last time i checked so 30 frames is 1/2 seconds. If i wrong someone please correct me. Also i know what a whiff punish is and f3 isnt at the top of the list on what to use compared to f434 for people who miss launchers. Also i put b2 for whiff punishing pokes with certain setups and certain normals not ur go to whiff punisher. I want to see how many times u whiff punish someone with f3 gs for that minimum damage when u could have dashed and did f434 for more damage and possible setups.

um mk works on a 60 frame/second system last time i checked so 30 frames is 1/2 seconds. If i wrong someone please correct me. Also i know what a whiff punish is and f3 isnt at the top of the list on what to use compared to f434 for people who miss launchers. Also i put b2 for whiff punishing pokes with certain setups and certain normals not ur go to whiff punisher. I want to see how many times u whiff punish someone with f3 gs for that minimum damage when u could have dashed and did f434 for more damage and possible setups.
Hahaha dude. Stay free

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I agree but the string is just un reliable. Shang players need to get in the habit of useing f4 gs all the time because Its safer, more consistent launcher AA and standing, and offers more damage.

The strings not unreliable, its just better or worse depending on the opponents hitbox.

F4 Gs is also less damaging, the F434 combo can end with a gauranteed Upskull on block too, so long as the opponent doesnt have a teleport or reptile dash or something.