What's new

Which Video Game Genre takes more SKILL you think, FG's or FPS's?

Which Video Game Genre requires the most skill to win in? Fighting Games? FPS's or other?

• Fighting Games

Votes: 58 70.7%
  • FPS's(First Person Shooters)

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Sports Games

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Puzzle Games

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Racing Games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RPG

• MMO

• Platformers

• Third person Games

• MOBA

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Adventure Games

• Survival Games

• Beat em Ups

• Not Sure

• Other

• Strategic Games

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • RTS(Real Time Strategy) if you don't want to vote Strategic Games^

• Total voters

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I was heavy into W3 in 2007/2008, so if you were online and ranked that high back then we might've actually played each other. Was an UD player (huge Madfrog fan here lol) in top 300.

I was being a little facetious with my post, I don't particularly consider any game type to require more/less skill than another. They each affect different areas of the brain, so it's a little hard to compare. There's an interesting Tedtalks video on youtube of your brain on video games, or something of a similar name, where a neuroscientist describes the effects of FPS games on your brain. Worth a watch for anybody interested in that kind of thing.
Ohh lol sorry I missed this post haha so many posts to read. :p:D

Wow, a simpleton who actually thinks FGs and FPSs are even remotely comparable in difficulty. Now, i've seen it all.
I never said that :confused: if this was aimed at me.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@MKF30 I was about to mention puzzle games too. Watching tetris world finals will clear any doubts about how insanely hard to play at the highest level those games can be.

My answer to op is that different genres can't be compared. Each one tests your skills differently, but will definitely push your limits if you want to play at high level.
Yeah I was a high level dr Mario player on the 3ds online, I was on the top 100 leaderboard. Most of the insane players were Japanese. Not surprising I think that’s also an underrated game too. Tetris is of course another classic. My best Tetris game was Tetris attack. But good point I agree. All games are tough in their own way.

Definitely first person shooters. Watch this Quake final match and tell me otherwise

Well, almost every competitive multiplayer game needs skill, but I fully agree with you. But that really depends on the game genre you play. For example, I played League of Legends semi-occasionally but just recently decided to test myself and become a pro. I even hired a coach on this site, he helped me with my strategies, pointed out some mistakes I had and made me a training program. All of this made me think that's really similar to sports. Am I right?

Depends on what skill you want to test? There aren't many chess grandmasters and there aren't many heavyweight champions and I'm pretty sure I'm not beating either at their own game.

Hell even withing fighting games you've got a lot of different skill tests depending on your genre and series.

Either way there's a lot of "Throws are cheap" logic here about games that people clearly don't play.

DeftMonk

Noob
Anyone who isn’t voting sc2 hasn’t watched that shit it’s like playing 20 games all at the same time against pro lvl players in every game lol no contest
Bro, go watch some Starcraft 2 tournaments from a few years ago in Korea and your mind will be blown. That game was like their national sport and used to fill stadiums and shit

Starcraft is da shit. I played both 1 and 2 a loooot and the skill factor is involved right from the start. So good, i still remember my favorite played matches online, 50 min struggle with units dying everywhere. Plus, the balance in that game is sooo tight that other devs WISH to have something like that (in the rts genre).
For me fighting, rts and fps.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
SC2 takes the cake, but for the purpose of the thread...

I have to put FPS above FG's. Both genres has reactions at their core. I just feel like the fact that we have matchups in fighting games make it a tad easier (harder too for the unfavorable matchup). But the option to counterpick is there nevertheless. People really underestimate how hardcore the OG Arena shooters are. Shooters nowadays are slowpaced, require precision and strategy - they're definitely more layered. But Quake was fast movement, instant reaction flicks, and somewhat strategy based. CS:GO is also no easy feat to be good at. You don't just get good at CS out of nowhere - most of the skilled place nowadays are legacy players.

Fighting games are also extremely demanding, but balacing is usually a little weird. And this is not to bash people, but there's a big difference in playing Erron Black compared to Kitana. And lets talk Injustice 2 - are we gonna pretend Deadshot and Green Arrow wasn't easy mode? So many top players got bodied by Green Arrow to the degree it was a straight up mopping. Not to say he didnt have bad matchups! But the nature of fighting games make it potentially a walk in the park or a trip through hell depending on matchups. And it's not something exclusive to NRS titles. And I know matches aren't won in character select, but lets not act like everybody had a Doctor Fate in Injustice 2 because he's such a loved character lul

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I dunno about on a competitive level but fighting games are definitely the most difficult for me. There’s just so much shit you have to be aware of. Then when you are aware you have to apply that knowledge on a reactionary level.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Fighters and All sports games. Man they are just like fighters and take a unbelievable amount of time and skill to be very good at and compete.

Fps is my third though only because Gears is motha:eek: and playing that competitively was hard as FUCK!

My ass couldn't even make the team:(

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Fighting games take the most skill to play. That's why there are so many button mashers out there.

I also wanted to vote for Strategy games and MOBAs but only had 2 votes. lol

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Earlier in the thread, "strategic" was added to the bottom of the voting list.
Breh, StarCraft should be its own genre lmao. These dudes lose the game over a few seconds of subpar micromanagement. Its fucking insane. Comparing this shit to Command & Conquer or some shit aint even legit

Breh, StarCraft should be its own genre lmao. These dudes lose the game over a few seconds of subpar micromanagement. Its fucking insane. Comparing this shit to Command & Conquer or some shit aint even legit
Yes, I'm aware, I'm simply stating where the thread creator has put such things.

I play StarCraft II, and I watch the pros play as well; it is insane and in my opinion, the hardest and most challenging competitive video game on the planet. Having said that, it's still a real time strategy game, it's simply on another level over Command & Conquer.

I think "real time strategy" should be a category here, personally, but he grouped it all into "strategic games."

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Well, almost every competitive multiplayer game needs skill, but I fully agree with you. But that really depends on the game genre you play. For example, I played League of Legends semi-occasionally but just recently decided to test myself and become a pro. I even hired a coach on this site, he helped me with my strategies, pointed out some mistakes I had and made me a training program. All of this made me think that's really similar to sports. Am I right?
Yeah it's really impossible to say. Pro quake player versus pro starcraft player. They're so different.

Is it stressful? cause MK gives me stress lol I'm looking for some newer games to give MK a break here and there lol.
That actually depends on yourself and a) how much your get into it, and b) how you handle stress/what you find stressful. It would also depend on your skill level.

If you're playing in, say, Silver or Gold League, not so much as you're just not up there in terms of skill and real competition. If you're playing in higher leagues and really grinding that rank, it can be.

I've played real time strategy games since the mid-90's though, so I find them enjoyable and exciting to play.

StarCraft II is free to play, so if you have a computer that can play it, I'd say give it a whirl. I'd recommend the Campaign first as a general introduction to the universe, units, and mechanics, and then you'd want to do the Versus Tutorial as the Campaign overall plays differently. From there. you'd want to play some Versus AI to simulate Multiplayer and get a feel for things. Once you have ten wins against the AI, I think, you can then go and play on the Ladder.