What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kano Which variation for which MU? 2.0

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
With all the changes to Kano I think it's time for a new thread like this. WHICH KANO FOR WHICH MU?

Before all of you go "just pick Cutthroat lmao" or "never pick cyber lol" I genuinely think that using all three variations of Kano will get you the most wins.

Disclaimer, I'm a notorious Commando up-player and I don't have that much MU experience across ALL characters so these opinions are NOT set in stone. Rather I'd like to discuss and as a ~community~ (holding hands and singing Kumbaya is optional but welcomed) reach conclusions.

OP will be updated regularly. I know this is lacking and done by someone who's a mediocre player at best but prove me wrong and we'll update the OP.

Alien
General:
CYBER. Mid knives means Alien can't use the crawl to low profile your knives and gain ground, instead he has to walk in or resort to jumping. B2 db1 is really hard for Alien to punish. You can punish the overhead flip meterlessly with upball and the tail grab with Kano ball, sending them back to full screen where you can throw more knives.

Tarkatan:
Tarkatan has the least amount of full screen tools so Cyber is the best option.

Konjurer:
Konjurer can trade with his drone call but it doesn't really buy him a way in, so nothing really changes.

Acidic:
Acidic can get the best of you if they get in that mid range and catch you with jump acids. The higher hitbox from high knives in Cutthroat can work in your favor if you're struggling.

Bo Rai Cho
CYBER

General:

(I know too little about his different variations to flush this out)
You can keep him out with mid knives. The range of BRC's normals contest your range in CT but just keeping him full screen gets you far. All variations do well though.

Drunken Master:
N/A

Dragon's Breath:
N/A

Bartitsu:
N/A

Cassie Cage:
COMMANDO/CYBER

General:
All variations do well but I feel Commando and Cyber slightly outdo Cutthroat. Commando can contest her b1 string with 22 and go for EX grab or parry off of b12(4) string. Parry is a meterless punish which can be baited and hard to punish (hard). EX grab beats the 4 and low pokes afterwards. Cyber can really keep her out however. All variations can keep her out.

Hollywood:
IAGS get annoying but you can handle it with all variations.

Spec Ops:

N/A

Brawler:

Commando totally shuts down her armored options with b1 ex choke or d4 EX command grab, making the reason to pick this variation pretty nullified.

D'Vorah:
???

No idea, D'Vorah's mop me for free. Probably CT since he actually hurts but Commando can parry her plus frames.

Ermac:
CT

Punish any failed vortex attempt and send them to the corner and eat them alive.

Erron Black:
???

Haven't played an Erron in ages.

Ferra/Torr:
COMMANDO

Ok before you eat me alive I think all variations do well vs F/T. But Commando can keep them out , space them out with 22, challenge plus frames, get out the corner the easiest of the 3.

Goro:
CYBER

Haven't played vs Gotta Go Fast Goro yet but Cyber builds a lot of bar, up laser will punish telestomp on reaction for a combo (unless done behind you in which case you recover in time).

Jacqui:
CUTTHROAT

Haven't played it much but Commando adds nothing big to the MU and while Cyber can trade knives vs machine gun in his favor that's about it.

Jason:
CYBER

You want to play this MU from full screen and punish any teleports or punches. The only thing to worry about is b1 which you can challenge with b2. If you find yourself vs Slasher just d4 his machete and pew pew your knives.

Jax:
CUTTHROAT

Can challenge Jax in terms of damage the best. Commando and Cyber do ok but Cutthroat is where it's at.

JC:
CUTTHROAT

No tools gained by other variations really benefit the MU. Parry is too slow to really be a factor vs JC's pressure.

Kano:
Cyber beats Commando, Cutthroat beats Cyber and Commando.

Kenshi:
CUTTHROAT

You want in and stay on that ass. Cutthroat is the variation for that.

Kitana:
CUTTHROAT/COMMANDO

Cutthroat is you want to stay in that ass, Commando is you want to challenge her zoning and EX Sharpen plus frames.

Kotal Kahn:
???

I like Commando for the 22 reach, I feel Cutthroat gets outranged by Kotal's amazing buttons but I'm really unsure.

Kung Jin:
CUTTHROAT

Very little exp. Cyber's knives will keep him from low profiling your knives with low chakram but I feel Cutthroat probably does best.

Kung Lao:
COMMANDO

This is vs pre patch tempest, no idea now. Commando can challenge Lao's meaty strings, sit back, zone, gets out of the corner better than the other two.

Liu Kang:
???

Very little exp. Commando has a decent OS vs Flame fist but I'm pretty sure Cutthroat is the overall better pick.

Leatherface:
CUTTHROAT

Keep out with knives, run in 50/50, rinse repeat. Cyber does fine as well since LF struggles to get in. No exp vs Pretty Lady.

Mileena:
???

Not Commando at least. Probably Cutthroat.

Predator:
HQT - CUTTHROAT
HUNTER - COMMANDO

Vs HQT you need to get in and stay in. He's free on WU so you can pretty much pressure and 50/50 to death.

Vs HUNTER you want to keep him out and ex power bomb out of trap setups. If they start reading that go for WU Choke and wildly shout "NO TRAP FOR U" at your monitor.

Quan Chi:
CUTTHROAT

Pretty similar to HQT. You don't want to play the zoning game but knock him down and eat him alive on WU.

Raiden:
CUTTHROAT

Very little exp but see no reason why you'd pick any other variation.

Reptile:
CUTTHROAT

Same as Raiden

Scorpion:
CUTTHROAT/CYBER

Vs ninjutsu you might want to go cyber and challenge his range with knives. Otherwise I feel Cutthroat does the best.

Shinnok:
CUTTHROAT

Command grabs and mid knives add very little utlity in this MU.

Sonya:
CUTTHROAT/COMMANDO

Commando deals with her corner game and jumping better than CT but CT has the damage and mixups.

Sub:
CYBER

I find he deals with the ice clone the best. Cutthroat might be a better choice though, not sure.

Takeda:
CUTTHROAT

Cyber knives trades with Kunai's in Takedas favor, command grabs don't really help out. Cutthroat is your man.

Tanya:
???

No idea.

Tremor:
???

No idea.

Triborg - Smoke:
CUTTHROAT

Damage, corner carry, etc.

Triborg - CSZ:
???

Commando used to be able to get out of HTB's with EX Power bomb but after the nerfs I have no idea.

Triborg - Sektor:
CUTTHROAT

Cyber knives lose to Sektor zoning, command grabs have little use.

Triborg - Cyrax:
???

Commando used to be able to get out of HTB's with EX Power bomb but after the nerfs I have no idea.

@Jupe
@ando1184
@bdizzle2700
@countrypistol
@Derptile
@FlappyDaniel
@MrInsaynne
@SaltShaker
@The Hex Man
@Youphemism
@ETC AdmiralAugustus
@Phosferrax
@Scott The Scot
@AK L0rdoftheFLY
@jokey77

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I don't like the format of doing it by character, the Kano variation you play can change per opponent variation. I reckon you should split it up by variation.

ando1184

Noob
Vs Raiden (MoS) I prefer commando. Kano can parry Raiden's lighting normals and Ex command grab on wakeup to beat his corner 50/50's.

Edit: thanks for the tag :D

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I don't like the format of doing it by character, the Kano variation you play can change per opponent variation. I reckon you should split it up by variation.
Yeah this is just an outline, with some general notes. Will make it look better and be more precise later on, but since I need input I just figured I'll post this bare bones first.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Vs Raiden (MoS) I prefer commando. Kano can parry Raiden's lighting normals and Ex command grab on wakeup to beat his corner 50/50's.

Edit: thanks for the tag :D
I only play vs Displacer and I feel CT does better there. As Youph said this should be split into variations

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Disclaimer: Choosing Cutthroat has no negatives so I'm just gonna list MUs I think where the other variations might shine.

-Alien: Cybernetic- Mid-knives and strong normals are pretty nice for this MU.
-Ferra/Torr: Commando- Weirdly enough Commando might be the best variation for this MU. Couple of months ago it would've been Cybernetic but he can't really hang with F/T anymore.
-Goro: Cybernetic, Commando isn't that bad either.
-Jason: Same as Goro.
-Sub Zero: Cybernetic- Ex knives will save your butt-cheeks a lot and make other characters jealous.

For everyone else and these MUs as well, play Cutthroat.

kantboy-2

Ripper
High parry stops Sektor uppercut teleport with pretty good results.

I just do that until they stop doing it and commit getting into throw range or a knives/rocket fight.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I know that CT has the overall best utility in most MU's. However my meter management is ass and I never really seem to have it when I need it for plus frames or crazy damage :( However I also understand that he is strong without getting to use those things. I just get stuck on wanting to use them.

I have the most fun with Commando punishing habits with parry and pulling off throws every once in a while and I don't feel as pressured to watch my meter. I also love the 22 string and feel more comfortable taking on heavy pressure chars (especially if they are predictable) with his crazy fast EX parry and all his armor. But I like the OP believe myself to be hardly mediocre and also love commando and prob upplay him.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Cybernetic Main checking in, confirming that Cyber is very strong against Kotal Kahn. Kotal either has to block the knives or jump over them. Should he jump prematurely and you are out of recovery frames on your mid knives, run up and B1 to give him the anti-air and knock him back from you, repeating the process. A lot of Kotals will just block and try to advance slowly, and should they do that, grab and throw em back. Blood God will be a slight problem due to him having a large health pool, but even CT and Commando will have that problem. Cybernetic controls the pace of the match I feel.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
I'm using Cutthroat against everything for the time being. Cyber can win plenty of match ups but most of the time Cutthroat is better off.

Against Cassie I will always use cybernetic.
Against GM Sub Zero Kano will probably always lose (But i'd go cyber)
Goro is stupid (Against him and FT i think Commando is best)
Kung Lao Cyber or Cutthroat is fine
Takeda I am unsure
Mileena Commando or Cutthroat
Tri Borgs I think all can get mopped by cutthroat
Kotal Kahn Cybernetic (Unless blood god, cutthroat is better)
Reptile Cyber or Cutthroat
D'Vorah i always prefered cybernetic
Kung Jin I think cybernetic does better
Jason Cutthroat
Alien Cybernetic or Cutthroat are both fine especially now.
Leatherface Cutthroat

This is generally speaking. Every variation has a use. But it is clear that Cutthroat is the go-to at the moment. The buffs were too much.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
In my opinion, you would want to use Cybernetic to slow the pace of the match if you don't want to play the footsie and spacing game on the ground against characters like Kotal, D'Vorah, and Cassie. Kotal has some powerful buttons, and while Kano has hands down some of the better Footsies in the game, Kotal can space Kano with B1 Shenanigans, D'Vorah can use D4, F11 to give Kano a difficult run, and Cassie has B1 which hits like half screen so unless you make a BALLSY read and risk with B2, you definitely want to try and keep them away from you and bait jumps as you see fit.

As Coach said, GM Sub-Zero would be a good matchup for Cyber. I tend to agree and it definitely shows in the midscreen neutral game.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
The only variation you need right now is CT. Cyber and Commando might just do a smidget better in certain MUs but CT would still do really good.
Also am I the only one who thinks CT is better against GM SZ? Once the fucker gets in, Cyber gets shut down, CT can at least counter-cheese him and give him a taste of his own medicine.

NHDR

Noob
I use CT for every match. Although I can kind of play Cyber, I feel the two variations are different enough that using Cyber as a counter-pick might screw with my CT play. I'd rather get comfortable with the bad matchups as CT. I also feel that CT's safe pressure and overall versatility can be an asset in every match. You only need one opening.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
I think that Cyber might indeed be a good choice against Alien, Kung Jin, D'Vorah, Shinnok and Goro.

I don't see anything that Commando does better than Cutthroat though.