What's new

Which top players to watch.

Noob
I am wanting to start watching a lot more high level play.

Should I just watch finals of top comps or do you guys have specific players you like to watch playing.

For MKX and SFV.

I have gotten to the point where I am confident with my execution. And I can often see what went wrong and find a way around it. But sometimes I feel like my choices are still rather scrubby.

So hopefully watching better players really helps in real life play as much as it does in my head.

myri

Time Warrior
Watching a lot of Top 8's isn't a bad idea, that's most of the top level play that I watch, you get to see what the best of the best do. Best thing to do is find a player who plays the character you play and then watch any Top 8 stuff you can find. Watch what they do, how they play, how they react and try to apply it where you can to your own play (as long as it fits your play style)

Top players to watch from MKX; Sonicfox, Afoxygrampa, Madzin, Scar, PerfectLegend, Forever King, Hayatei, Biohazard, Honeybee, Red Raptor from the US/EU/Canada just to name a few, you can even check out our Australian players that just had a major last month (You can find the MKX Top 8 in this playlist) with some excellent players with a lot of different characters as well, check 'em out.

As for SFV, I'm just starting out with that so I don't know much about it.

What characters do you actually play?

Last edited:

Noob
Great stuff. I'm pretty much just saving the top 8s off youtube. Will sit through that when I get a chance then. Maybe pick some players I like from that and check them out. I play D'Vorah and Erron Black. I have recently messed around a bit with Jax.

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
Sfv
Snake eyez
Tokido
Daigo
Justin wong
Infiltration
Few names that popped up in my mind

myri

Time Warrior
Great stuff. I'm pretty much just saving the top 8s off youtube. Will sit through that when I get a chance then. Maybe pick some players I like from that and check them out. I play D'Vorah and Erron Black. I have recently messed around a bit with Jax.
For:
D'vorah - Honeybee and Wazminator
Erron Black - Sonicfox (look for more recent stuff)
Jax - Jupiter and Tyrant

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Execution-wise, I learned a ton from watching Quark's Sun God early on in MKX.

I learned a lot watching about playing the MKX meta by watching REO's Quan Chi early in the MKX cycle.

Meta and execution are two totally different aspects of the game. Execution opens doors, but meta is what you do. In order to compete at the game's highest levels, you must be great at both aspects.

Learning from watching is about finding a like-minded player early on and learning through their decisions - be it execution-wise or the meta. If a player doesn't think like you, then you must dig deeper to learn from them. We all have blind spots, but you must understand where a player is coming from to learn anything from him.