What's new

Which should i play: diablo 3 or dark souls?

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Ahhhhhh! Good to know! I wasnt aware they still did patches for that game, thank you for the knowledge-dropping Legend.
Dude I have had DS since the game dropped and I still play it all the time when I'm not playing IGAU. DS' will give you many more hours than D3 ever will. There just isn't any games made like DS anymore that actually challenge you. The great thing about DS is that when you lose you know it wasn't the game's mechanics, nor any cheap shots(unless your online and you get some annoying lag), you know you failed by your own mistake. It takes a strong will and patientce, but seeing how your avatar is of Bane, I assume you main him, therefore patientce is obviously not your problem.

Reedoms

Noob
i disagree EXTREMELY

you point about checkpoints is somewhat true but i hardly ever died in Demon souls
I dunno, to each his own. I do still find Sens Funhouse and Lost Izalith to be a living hell. But it's nothing compared to 3-2 from Demons Souls.

TheSpore

I dunno, to each his own. I do still find Sens Funhouse and Lost Izalith to be a living hell. But it's nothing compared to 3-2 from Demons Souls.
lol never ever saw anymore call it Sen's Funhouse... That's an understatement.

RoosterFuel

Chicken Drugs
Wellllllll it looks like there is a clear winner here, ill prolly start on DS tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who helped me to decide! I dont care how childish and bitchy this site is sometimes, you guys are still super helpful and cool to talk with.

Not sure if you were a fan of D2 and D1, but the real money auction house and always online DRm fucked that game badly and not to mention its built like WoW and badly linear, I played the console demo recently and it is a good console game, but comared to the legacy it came from its just trash IMO

it's hardly a comparable game to the series' previous installments, akin to comparing a prune to a plum; all of the greatness has been sucked out and you're left with a nasty ass fruit.

that being said, i still enjoy it for what it is and get my moneys worth out of it.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
When you do get Dark Souls, do not ruin your gaming experience with gaming guides and looking shit online. Go the old school way and finish it by yourself like a true warrior. At least your first playthrough.

RoosterFuel

Chicken Drugs
Dude I have had DS since the game dropped and I still play it all the time when I'm not playing IGAU. DS' will give you many more hours than D3 ever will. There just isn't any games made like DS anymore that actually challenge you. The great thing about DS is that when you lose you know it wasn't the game's mechanics, nor any cheap shots(unless your online and you get some annoying lag), you know you failed by your own mistake. It takes a strong will and patientce, but seeing how your avatar is of Bane, I assume you main him, therefore patientce is obviously not your problem.
Im glad the pvp is good, ill get into it once i get the hang of the game and level up a bit. And yes i do main bane, if youre on psn we can get in some matches sometime if you want.

TheSpore

Im glad the pvp is good, ill get into it once i get the hang of the game and level up a bit. And yes i do main bane, if youre on psn we can get in some matches sometime if you want.
DO as the guy above did go old school and try to make it through without the guide and when you get your next time through hit up online and then get the stuff you missed there is so much to discover.

it's hardly a comparable game to the series' previous installments, akin to comparing a prune to a plum; all of the greatness has been sucked out and you're left with a nasty ass fruit.

that being said, i still enjoy it for what it is and get my moneys worth out of it.
I'm glad you got your money's worth, I have yet to buy it the AH and DRM was just to tough for Torch Light 2 is way better and more fun. Hey if you like F2P check out Path of Exile

TheSpore

DO as the guy above did go old school and try to make it through without the guide and when you get your next time through hit up online and then get the stuff you missed there is so much to discover.

I'm glad you got your money's worth, I have yet to buy it the AH and DRM was just to tough for Torch Light 2 is way better and more fun. Hey if you like F2P check out Path of Exile

TheSpore

Alright I wanna level with ya here and just say it. Dark Souls is an unforgiving heartless game. It will reward you and punish you. It is one of those games that if you read a guide and watch walkthroughs prior to beating it, will ruin your experience. This game will be of two things either you will hate or you will love it, there is no in between at all. It tell if you are a true gamer or a filthy casual.

As long as you try and give it your all you will enjoy the game. At first you will say "this shit is fucking impossible and unbeatable". If you think SM is OP, wait until you get one shotted by the Taurus demon the first time you face him. The first time you tussle a black knight you will run in fear and will do all you can to avoid them in the beginning and then you discover an entire area populated by slightly weaker versions of them clad in silver.

My point is just don't give up on it.

EvilNonsense

steals your stuff
I haven't played Dark Souls, but I enjoy playing Diablo 3 , especially with friends. If you get D3, let me know and we can team up.

As a former D2 player, I'm kind of biased. Most D3 players on the console have probably never played D2, and probably never will because it requires more dedication. Dark Souls is a pretty enjoyable game, so I'd say go with that. You might like D3 though, especially if you've never really played action RPGs.

Dark_Rob

Noob
As a former D2 player, I'm kind of biased. Most D3 players on the console have probably never played D2, and probably never will because it requires more dedication. Dark Souls is a pretty enjoyable game, so I'd say go with that. You might like D3 though, especially if you've never really played action RPGs.
You would probably be right. The main problem for me when it comes to PC games is the interface. I would sooner drag myself across a hundred yards of razor blades and barbed wire and then hop into a pool of alcohol then try to play a game using a mouse and a keyboard, even if I would otherwise like the game. Diablo 3 on PC, I never touched, and I never would. Diablo 3 on xbox 360, I love it. Im sure its probably a stripped down version of the real game to some extent and that's fine by me. At least I can play it.
If Diablo 2 came to console im sure I would love that to, but on PC it stands 0% chance of me ever playing it. Keyboard and mouse is just the most unintuitive thing ever devised to me.

You would probably be right. The main problem for me when it comes to PC games is the interface. I would sooner drag myself across a hundred yards of razor blades and barbed wire and then hop into a pool of alcohol then try to play a game using a mouse and a keyboard, even if I would otherwise like the game. Diablo 3 on PC, I never touched, and I never would. Diablo 3 on xbox 360, I love it. Im sure its probably a stripped down version of the real game to some extent and that's fine by me. At least I can play it.
If Diablo 2 came to console im sure I would love that to, but on PC it stands 0% chance of me ever playing it. Keyboard and mouse is just the most unintuitive thing ever devised to me.

I totally understand. My roommate feels the same way about mouse and keyboard. It might take some getting used to, but it's worth it. It's like a fighting game player who's only ever played on pad, then tries out a arcade stick.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I totally understand. My roommate feels the same way about mouse and keyboard. It might take some getting used to, but it's worth it. It's like a fighting game player who's only ever played on pad, then tries out a arcade stick.
Someone should invent a programmable control pad that you can assign computer keys to and assign the mouse to a D Pad. Then I could get down to lol. I know that PC has tons of great titles, but I gotta have a pad. Im to old to learn new tricks.

Someone should invent a programmable control pad that you can assign computer keys to and assign the mouse to a D Pad. Then I could get down to lol. I know that PC has tons of great titles, but I gotta have a pad. Im to old to learn new tricks.

There's a ton of gamepads you can buy, and you can hook up a 360 controller too. Just about every game should have controller support, but if it doesn't there's more than likely a mod or patch you can download and run to enable controller support. Might not be possible for older games but you never know.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
if you want to keep your sanity when playing a game that lasts nearly forever:
Just Cause 2 / GTA V
The entire Mass Effect collection is only 60$. That's absolutely insane.
I'd pay hundreds for Mass Effect series, like I already have. That character and story and gameplay and atmosphere, yo.
Between the two choices you gave: Dark Souls.

Reedoms

Noob
You just gotta get a controller emulator for it. Takes 15 minutes to setup and you're good to go. I use MotionJoy since it's literally impossible for you to play Dark Souls on PC since they didn't even try to make a port. It's just the exact same thing so the controls are fucked.

Dark_Rob

Noob
There's a ton of gamepads you can buy, and you can hook up a 360 controller too. Just about every game should have controller support, but if it doesn't there's more than likely a mod or patch you can download and run to enable controller support. Might not be possible for older games but you never know.
Il have to look into that, not that I think my rinky dink $200 laptop could handle a graphics intensive game, but it would be nice to try some older games see how it fares.

As to the original topic. Ive never played Darksouls so I cant give my opinion on that(Judging from other peoples posts though I might have to check it out as its almost unanimous that everyone thinks DS is better than Diablo 3) but Ive been playing Diablo 3 on 360 since it came out so heres my take on it:

Its a fun game to pass the time if your into the level/grind/loot/hack and slash/kill and plunder type of game. It is not rocket science. It will not challenge you to any great degree( compared to say Ninja Gaiden 2 which I consider to be one of the most challenging games ever made) Im on my 2nd playthough in nightmare mode with a level 40 Wizard and thus far I steamroll over anything that gets in my way. It is very fun to play online with your buddies and a headset. The online is superb and Ive never noticed any kind of slowdown/delay/lag. The story is meh, but engaging enough to keep you going. It is very linear. You aren't going to get sidetracked doing endless side quests that lead nowhere. There is always a yellow arrow on the map pointing to where you should be going. Like I said, its not brain surgery.
The main focus of the game is to constantly keep upgrading your characters level/stats/gear. The graphics are decent, but not mindblowing. The characters have a limited amount of customability. Mostly what gear you use and what powers you decide to use. You cant customize things like how far their eyes are apart from each other or what theyre skin tone is, and that's fine by me. I find that level of customizing to be tedious and take a long time for no reason.
Diablo 3 is an easy game to jump into and start hacking away. Its fun, but not challenging. Somewhat repetitive, but not boring. The whole point is the process of leveling your character to ever more soaring heights of overpoweredness. The fact that you do this by basically doing the same thing over and over(I.E. killing swarms of monsters) is secondary.

I'm having boat loads of fun with Diablo. Thinking about all the builds you can do and stuff gets me hype when I play lol. Kill and loot is one of my favorite styles of game though haha