What's new

Question Which MK9 characters are the most overlooked/neglected?

Eminent

Forum Lurker
Let's be serious here. Lots of people have spent lots of time studying these characters. There might be a few little gimmicks left undiscovered but all the major tech has been found.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Let's be serious here. Lots of people have spent lots of time studying these characters. There might be a few little gimmicks left undiscovered but all the major tech has been found.
Except since everyone is so hellbent on counterpicking, nobody sees their true potential in practice rather than theory.

Sonya is a prime example of this. Nobody disagrees with how much she has going for her, but she's never had a 100% dedicated main.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
There are quite a few actually who have a small player base and therefor might have a lot to them that is not known IMO

Cyber Sub
Noob
Jade
Sindel
Stryker
Kano
Nightwolf
Sheeva

Skarlet was very well brokedown by the Skarlet Community, in fact, if the competitively was still strong here and TYM, and we had more Skarlet players on tournaments besides me, Skar and a few more, only god knows what we could be doing now. She requires lots of mental training, but the payout is really huge once you get all her defenses down.
I fully agree, that is why I think she is been neglected. I have hardly seen her on majors while I think she is a great character and one of the coolest characters in the game. I think she has great potential, however I find her hard to fight with.

and of all the posters, everyone dodges the name baraka. he has good footsies, mixups, an almost broken good special move (df2) and at least top 5 corner game (yes i really said that).

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I fully agree, that is why I think she is been neglected. I have hardly seen her on majors while I think she is a great character and one of the coolest characters in the game. I think she has great potential, however I find her is hard to fight with.
she is one of the hardest characters to master, you won't see lots of Skarlet around because of he heaviest execution barrier.

Though the payout is huge, you might still lose a lot in the process until you get her down, so most of the people just pick kabal which is easier than her, and his MU chart is better overall.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
and of all the posters, everyone dodges the name baraka. he has good footsies, mixups, an almost broken good special move (df2) and at least top 5 corner game (yes i really said that).
I used to think so too.

..until I looked at his frame data.

Like literally, I got mopped up by Flagg the first time I played his Baraka, and thought he was possibly a bad matchup for Scorpion, then after finding out his frame traps are trivial at best, and that Blade Charge and his corner mixups are punishable, it was far more even at the following sessions lol.

His matchups definitely aren't as lopsided as they're made out to be, but he probably wins more than he really should out of a sheer lack of matchup exp. Sometimes I wonder if he'd benefit from more players using him, or if it would prompt everyone else to learn more about the matchup. Ultimate prisoner of the moment character.

For what it's worth though, I do think the current Baraka community has done enough to prove he isn't bottom 5.

I used to think so too.

Like literally, I got mopped up by Flagg the first time I played his Baraka, and thought he was possibly a bad matchup for Scorpion, then after finding out his frame traps are trivial at best, and that Blade Charge and his corner mixups are punishable, it was far more even at the following sessions lol.

His matchups definitely aren't as lopsided as they're made out to be, but he probably wins more than he really should out of a sheer lack of matchup exp. Sometimes I wonder if he'd benefit from more players using him, or if it would prompt everyone else to learn more about the matchup. Ultimate prisoner of the moment character.

For what it's worth though, I do think the current Baraka community has done enough to prove he isn't bottom 5.
blade charge has to be used in a non brain dead way of course and his corner mixups are anything but punishable. you do a knee reset, then get a free d3~ENslices which can only be jumped or blocked and ends in another frametrap on block or 30-40% into a reset on hit. instead of d3 you can knee to catch jump outs. resets after resets, and thats just when his real f2ENdf1 or b31 mixups come into play (which are probably the punishable ones you talked about). plus he has a sonya-esque d4

Flagg

Noob
I used to think so too.

There was a myth for awhile that BaraKa was safe On everything. Blade charge was good in the sense emacs tk push was ggood. Upclose a bad idea.

You know who was underrated and that was csz. If he didn't have a shit teleport he would have been godlike. 1 frame parry. All his normals except for standing 1 hit mid or lower. You couldn't duck this guy. Decent damage as well.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
There are quite a few actually who have a small player base and therefor might have a lot to them that is not known IMO

Cyber Sub
Noob
Jade
Sindel
Stryker
Kano
Nightwolf
Sheeva

For Sheeva's sake, because her normals are very slow and there's not much you can combo into each other, most of her set ups that I use are unorthodox, but certainly not game changing for her match up's by any means. I've explored a lot of different avenues how to play her. In all honesty there's not much to her, she's a very simple character, don't know what else could really be found.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
Kratos has a slight advantage in the zoning game against Kabal because of his Golden Fleece and Apollo's Bow.
The Golden Fleece negates Kabal's zoning and forces him to move or be hit with the unblockable projectile, and Kratos can punish Kabal with at least 38% from full-screen if he reads Kabal doing a forward jump.
Apollo's Bow uses two projectiles, so if used carefully, it can even beat out EX Nomad Dash's armor. It also trades well with Kabal's projectiles, for the arrows do 12% damage if both connect.

In close-kombat, it is a very yomi sort of match-up. Kratos' one-frame parry is capable of punishing Kabal's mistakes in pressure with at least 45% meterless damage, however, it can be beaten out by low-pokes.
Kratos is also capable of his own pressure with Hermes Dash Cancels, but he cannot sustain it as well as Kabal. Even then, there is another layer of yomi to his HDC pressure, in which Kratos and Kabal must guess what the other is going to do next.

Kratos has the answers to Kabal in the zoning game, up-close, and on wakeup (with the Golden Fleece and EX HDC Flash Parries).

Kabal's safety can be an issue in the match-up (which is why life leads are integral), and though Kabal probably goes 6-4 against everyone in the game, I'm willing to believe Kratos can be considered the "closest there is to a counter against him".
You're crazy dude... I've only played your Kratos, but with all of his tools it feels pretty even to me.
I disagree with Kratos having the advantage in the zoning game. Firstly IAGBs go over his parry, so Kabal can still do those all day. Also you can't really trade with Apollo's Bow since Kabal can block in time, and you will be eating a Gas Blast.
You win in the trade with a Saw though, but Kabal will only do them occasionally. Also if you manage to parry any projectile, can't Kabal just EX Nomad Dash through the unblockable projectile and punish you with a combo?

Up close, Kabal wins. Kratos has a big hitbox, and if anyone can exploit, it's Kabal. And yes I know he has the parry but still.
Kratos struggles with anyone who can use down pokes in their pressure, Kabal is no exception. D4~NDC is basically an infinite on Kratos. And if you try to jump, I pretty sure the D4 will catch you. And even if it doesn't he can mix in 2~NDCs to catch you jumping.

Kratos' pressure can be beaten easily by an EX NDC. Yes Kratos can do one too, Kabal can counter this by letting the ND rip, or by canceling his move into buzzsaw or the overhead.

I also believe that Kabal's "flash parry" outclasses Kratos', and Kabals will beat Kratos' in any situation where the both do it at the same time, if that ever happens.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I disagree with Kratos having the advantage in the zoning game. Firstly IAGBs go over his parry, so Kabal can still do those all day. Also you can't really trade with Apollo's Bow since Kabal can block in time, and you will be eating a Gas Blast.
You win in the trade with a Saw though, but Kabal will only do them occasionally. Also if you manage to parry any projectile, can't Kabal just EX Nomad Dash through the unblockable projectile and punish you with a combo?

Up close, Kabal wins. Kratos has a big hitbox, and if anyone can exploit, it's Kabal. And yes I know he has the parry but still.
Kratos struggles with anyone who can use down pokes in their pressure, Kabal is no exception. D4~NDC is basically an infinite on Kratos. And if you try to jump, I pretty sure the D4 will catch you. And even if it doesn't he can mix in 2~NDCs to catch you jumping.

Kratos' pressure can be beaten easily by an EX NDC. Yes Kratos can do one too, Kabal can counter this by letting the ND rip, or by canceling his move into buzzsaw or the overhead.

I also believe that Kabal's "flash parry" outclasses Kratos', and Kabals will beat Kratos' in any situation where the both do it at the same time, if that ever happens.
You're right on the money as usual ;)

If they are blasted low enough, Kratos can parry them if done at the right time before his hitbox lowers in the animation.
With the Golden Fleece projectile, Kratos may use the Apollo's Bow almost safely, I think.
Kratos recovers pretty fast, right after the projectile is sent out, so Kabal might have to EX ND on a read. If he does it too late, Kratos can block it. Though Kabal can simply NDC. Apollo's Bow also helps beat out the one hit of armor that the EX ND has, in conjunction with the Golden Fleece projectile.

Krato's damn Blades of Exile increase his hitbox size...yeah. The parry is why it is a yomi-style match up-close (almost), you have to read what Kabal is going to do next (hell, the parry allows him to interrupt B+1*,2,1). D+4xxNDC is almost a block-infinite (2 free frames of doing anything, if done perfectly), so it does hurt Kratos.

Kratos' pressure is not meant to be relied upon is a means of chip damage, but rather, meter-building. Kratos can use the Apollo's Bow in the event that Kabal would attempt an EX Nomad Dash, and the ND won't even come out due to the cancel advantage on Kratos' moves, and if Kabal blocks, Kratos is safe at -1.
If Kabal tries an EX ND, Kratos can use the Golden Fleece to parry it on a read. If Kabal does an EX NDC, Kratos must jump over Kabal, or backdash the HDC. If Kabal does nothing after an EX NDC, Kratos can try to check him with a standing attack or D4.

It is true that Kabal's Flash Parry is more effective than Kratos.

Why do you have to destroy my hopes and dreams? This match-up is almost nearly won on Kabal not knowing the MU, apparently. ;_;
Oh well....I'll just go home and let myself be deluded into thinking Kratos goes 5-5, when he does not. #HardLifeForAKratos