What's new

Question Which MK9 characters are the most overlooked/neglected?

Cappuccino

Ermac player in training
I noticed that when going through the character forums for MK9, that top tier characters like Cyrax and Kung Lao have dozens of tech, tutorials, match up discussions, videos, and strategy guides. These characters seem really well studied and all their dirt has been explored thoroughly. So I was wondering which characters do you guys think are one the opposite side of this spectrum? Which characters do you think still have some dirt that hasn't been discovered?

chores

bad at things
kitana is the most neglected because at first she is rejected by the good guys then she switches sides and is rejected by her own family UGH #PrincessProblems #CantWin

Immortal

Blind justice....
Hard to tell if there is any new tech to discover in MK9. From higher tier i would go with Freddy.

Thou we all hope for some new Jade tech and nude mod ofc, lol.

Element_

The First Element
There is no question about it , i feel new tech is out there , its just putting a whole load of time into a character.....so on this current topic , are you looking to find new dirt or are you just wondering?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Its not like all the characters are unexplored entirely due some top players not exploring them, is just that the KKK destroy most of the cast no matter what you discover.

Also a few characters were forever doomed by the gameplay mechanics like Stryker who doesn't have any fast normal or decent mid, got hurt by the gravity nerf, universal damage nerf, and dash nerf, and he is like a nail in the ground.

The other factor is 9f moves that are 0f on block and you can spam the hell of that move, 80% of the cast fasted string is 10 or 12 frames, D1 is irrelevant in some cases to stop these 9 frame moves.

Espio

Kokomo
I'm sure that there's more tech to discover in MK9.

Underused characters are most likely to have more tech to discover than some heavily played characters like...Freddy and some of the mid/low tiers I could see having some more likely than heavily played characters that have a lot of reps offline and online, but even heavily played characters could be missing something huge too.

Times like these make me wish there was a much larger player pool for MK9 and it was still played heavily heh.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Freddy, Kang and Kano form what I recall has the least amount of exploration/tech. Simply because of how easy they are to use and knowing the basics would cover your needs.

Kano I believe doesn't have any sort of tech whatsoever besides extending combos in the corner with EN Knives.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Stryker has lots of dirt. Here you can have some : d4 baton sweep, d4 EN baton sweep is those f*ckers still block low (fucking block spammers), b3 baton sweep, b3 EN baton sweep, mix it up with b3,2, mash 4 as muh possible when opponent is near, 2,3 baton sweep, 2,3 EN baton sweep, see , LOTS OF DIRT ! #POLICE SWAG

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
Because mk is the opposite of Injustice. All the top tier in mk have a shit load of tech but the low tiers have almost nothing usefull.

Because mk is the opposite of Injustice. All the top tier in mk have a shit load of tech but the low tiers have almost nothing usefull.
So if MK is the opposite of Injustice, then you mean that in Injustice low tiers have many tech and top tier have almost nothing useful, right?

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Id say stryker or Freddy probably. Stryker has some good stuff but you have to work really hard for most of it.

I think Skarlet, she is able to do a lot of damage and has good tools to control the match. However you do not see a lot of people playing her.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
Kratos, without a doubt.
A mere few people know that he is a character that goes 5-5 against Kabal's S+ tier ass.
Can you give me your reasoning for kratos/Kabal being 5-5? I for one believe it to be nearly unwinnable for kratos. But this is going off of stuff from when I played him for only about a half a month, and it was six months ago.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I think Skarlet, she is able to do a lot of damage and has good tools to control the match. However you do not see a lot of people playing her.
Skarlet was very well brokedown by the Skarlet Community, in fact, if the competitively was still strong here and TYM, and we had more Skarlet players on tournaments besides me, Skar and a few more, only god knows what we could be doing now. She requires lots of mental training, but the payout is really huge once you get all her defenses down.

Can you give me your reasoning for kratos/Kabal being 5-5? I for one believe it to be nearly unwinnable for kratos. But this is going off of stuff from when I played him for only about a half a month, and it was six months ago.
Kratos has a slight advantage in the zoning game against Kabal because of his Golden Fleece and Apollo's Bow.
The Golden Fleece negates Kabal's zoning and forces him to move or be hit with the unblockable projectile, and Kratos can punish Kabal with at least 38% from full-screen if he reads Kabal doing a forward jump.
Apollo's Bow uses two projectiles, so if used carefully, it can even beat out EX Nomad Dash's armor. It also trades well with Kabal's projectiles, for the arrows do 12% damage if both connect.

In close-kombat, it is a very yomi sort of match-up. Kratos' one-frame parry is capable of punishing Kabal's mistakes in pressure with at least 45% meterless damage, however, it can be beaten out by low-pokes.
Kratos is also capable of his own pressure with Hermes Dash Cancels, but he cannot sustain it as well as Kabal. Even then, there is another layer of yomi to his HDC pressure, in which Kratos and Kabal must guess what the other is going to do next.

Kratos has the answers to Kabal in the zoning game, up-close, and on wakeup (with the Golden Fleece and EX HDC Flash Parries).

Kabal's safety can be an issue in the match-up (which is why life leads are integral), and though Kabal probably goes 6-4 against everyone in the game, I'm willing to believe Kratos can be considered the "closest there is to a counter against him".

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
You're crazy dude... I've only played your Kratos, but with all of his tools it feels pretty even to me.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I'm gonna say Sindel. More often than not, we don't know if she's actually underrated or if they don't know the matchup. No matter how times I try to remind myself B1 is a low, I still get hit by it.

But she's so execution heavy, and you only get a mid tier character for it at the very best. And with that kind of execution, you may aswell just play Skarlet or Smoke.

Freddy, Kang and Kano form what I recall has the least amount of exploration/tech. Simply because of how easy they are to use and knowing the basics would cover your needs.

Kano I believe doesn't have any sort of tech whatsoever besides extending combos in the corner with EN Knives.
To my understanding a lot of players actually use Kenshi over Freddy because he's significantly less complicated to use effectively lol.
(or it could be that it's just Freddy and everyone else is too disgusted to bring themselves to play him in an MK game)

But I agree with Kang to an extent. I think his own simplicity at a basic level has been his biggest hindrance. Not sure if he has a barrage of hidden tech but, certainly misused by a lot of players.