What's new

Which high attack does your character use to jail after a d1 on hit?

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!

So Tom Brady made this very interesting topic a few days ago, Basically many characters don't have a fast mid to jail after you land a d1 on your opponent and that leads to your opponent mashing d1 in turn to blow up your string that starts with a high. This lead to a huge frustration for many players since day 1, Calling the devs to do something about the scrub wars poke meta and such. And what even felt more unfair is that characters like Liu Kang and Geras for example doesn't have this problem, Liu's f4 is 9 frames so when he lands a d1 he can jail you into his f4. But what Brady says here is that your character doesn't have to have a 9 frames mid to jail, Every character have at least one hit confirmable high attack that can jail after your d1 on hit.

(For those who don't know what jailing is in this context, basically your opponent wont be able to do shit after you land that d1 followed by your specific high attack. They can't mash any buttons or try to counter poke you, they can't jump backwards, forward, upwards, they can't throw you or do anything but block)

I play a lot of Kotal and i usually go for a throw after i land a poke because my mids are too slow and i didn't know that i could jail with a high attack like Brady claims here, i'll lab with him tomorrow to find out his option(s). Meanwhile, If you already know which high attack your character uses to jail after landing a poke, please post it in this thread so that everyone can benefit from the knowledge.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I play a lot of Kotal and i usually go for a throw after i land a poke because my mids are too slow and i didn't know that i could jail with a high attack like Brady claims here, i'll lab with him tomorrow to find out his option(s). Meanwhile, If you already know which high attack your character uses to jail after landing a poke, please post it in this thread so that everyone can benefit from the knowledge.
This has been talked about.

Kotal can jail with S1, S2, F1.

S1 and S2 are 1 frame links and highly impractical and whiff on females IIRC.

F1 is also a just frame, works only on males and only if they try to crouch.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Well, Skarlet used to be a Blockstring Jail master in MK9, but in this game she is definitely a Hitstring Jail master, basically what they did is reverse of what they did in MK9.

Skarlet can jail with a 7f high after a d1 when she is at plus 8 on hit, but that's just the first part, she has a bunch of moves which starts to grow on hit
+12, +14, +15, +25 +29, +30 and all of this frame advantage on hit can be used to jail any of her best highs which enforces her pressure game, basically its the reverse of MK9 where if she got you at +21 blocking she would jail you into a blockstring, in MK11 its the opposite.

Darth-Nero

This has been talked about.

Kotal can jail with S1, S2, F1.

S1 and S2 are 1 frame links and highly impractical and whiff on females IIRC.

F1 works only on males and only if they try to crouch.
Yes, I've noticed that i jailed into f1 successfully a few times but since it wasn't consistent for the reason you mentioned i thought it's not a thing and i land it only if my opponent fails to counter poke or something which led to me stop attempting it entirely. Thanks for this. #buffKotal

Ya this is old news, no offense. It is even in the tutorial. For Skarlet Eddy found one in like the first week that I’ve been using ever since lol. Namely F4,3 jailing into 212. Catches people a lot still.

Darth-Nero

Ya this is old news, no offense. It is even in the tutorial. For Skarlet Eddy found one in like the first week that I’ve been using ever since lol. Namely F4,3 jailing into 212. Catches people a lot still.
I played the tutorial and didn't see anything about a jailing high attacks, A lot of ppl don't know about this and this thread would be big help to many. Even if the info is posted it'll save ppl the pain of having to scroll through hundreds of pages in the general discussion of each character. I'll edit the op with all of the characters jailing strings that ppl post here for even shorter navigating time.

I played the tutorial and didn't see anything about a jailing high attacks, A lot of ppl don't know about this and this thread would be big help to many. Even if the info is posted it'll save ppl the pain of having to scroll through hundreds of pages in the general discussion of each character. I'll edit the op with all of the characters jailing strings that ppl post here for even shorter navigating time.
Ya like I said not trying to be rude or say it doesn’t need to be posted, just letting you know. I think a lot of people wanted to just dig into the game asap, so they breezed right through that section of the tutorial without really understanding the implications of it. As a general rule if your move is more plus on hit than the start up of your high attack, it will jail.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Kotal has a very short range D1 that wiffs on counter poke or after his F34/F24/F12 or anything they do. His command grab has same problem. So you are forced to be very careful to not use it in most situations.
Weeks ago I went through the entire cast and they do in fact have hailing move but many of them can wiff even if the frame data shows its possible.
Kotal has s1/S2 after D1 but both wife against females and are just frame links.
F1 has its own stance hitbox issue and its a 1 frame link so noone will get that consistently.

Characters like Baraka have a huge window to jail after D3 because he is +14 on hit. D3 into s1 is a 7f link easy af.
D3 into s2 is a 4f link and is easy af and goes into a frame trap setup.

I feel certain characters who lack options should get more advantage on hit with D1/D3 so they can hail into highs and gave at least a 3-4 frame window like some if the top tiers.
Also female hurtboxes need to be adjusted so everything don't wiff on them.