What's new

Which characters should I focus on the most?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
As a lot of you know, I'm what I call a "roster whore." Meaning, I play competitively with a large amount of the MK9 roster. But I've been told this is not advisable, as in I can't really expect to evolve as a player if I don't choose my strong points to focus on. I see that they may be right.

I've taken the habit of using so many characters in an effort to cover my bad match-ups, but one can't expect to play equally good with every character, I suppose. And I'm a competitive player who truly does care about improving his game...you all know by now that I feel like my skill is not something to be proud of. I mean, I do win my fair share of series here and there, but I've cared more on trying to be beast no matter which character I used.

Now, I think it may be time for me to step back and choose a new path. To that end, I turn to you all for help.

In your opinions, which characters do you feel I should stay the course with?

I would prefer if you stay with three choices or less, as I want to find my one, two, or three strongest characters and dedicate myself to them so as to really establish my mark upon the fighting scene. I wish I could be like Detroit who can beast with everybody, but you have to go with what works for you, not what works for others.

Please base your decisions on your personal experiences from playing me or from watching my gameplay videos...or both, whatever works. I want to know your honest opinions. Hold nothing back. If you vote, I'd like you to leave a post on sharing your choices and why you feel I should main said characters.

Don't get me wrong, there's no crime in being a roster whore, but if you're serious about findng what works best for you so as to get somewhere...this may be necessary.

So, vote away and get your explanations out here, please! Much appreciated.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Three I think you should focus on

-Smoke( You won a tourney with him)
-Kabal( You seem to be good with him.)
-Ermac/Sub( seen some solid play from you with both.)

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Stick with who you have the most fun playing, or the character you like the most. If you love everyone equally (hippie) then I'd go with smoke fo' sho'.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Thanks to you guys for taking your time to impart your votes and thoughts. So far, the tally stands at this:

Scorpion: 12
Sonya: 17
Kabal: 1
Ermac: 2
Sub-Zero: 1
Raiden: 11
Smoke: 16
Baraka: 1
Quan Chi: 1

This takes into account votes from both MKU and TYM members, for the record.

I'll give a little more time for votes to come in before I decide.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Looks like I've come to some decisions.

Scorpion and Sonya are two of my three main icons as of now. Now I just need to figure out my third top gun and I should be all set. As of now, I'm torn between either Raiden or Smoke...really don't know which one to go with.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
Looks like I've come to some decisions.

Scorpion and Sonya are two of my three main icons as of now. Now I just need to figure out my third top gun and I should be all set. As of now, I'm torn between either Raiden or Smoke...really don't know which one to go with.
IMO figure out what scorp and sonya both have trouble with and third a char that covers that. This way if you really can't beat someone with your two mains, then your third comes into play.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
If this means anything, I should also point out the characters who have become my biggest weaknesses as well as my reasons on why they cause me grief.

Reptile - can't rush him, zone him, pressure him, jump him - NOTHING. His Elbow Dash really scares me.

Kitana - her up-close pressure with d1 and Fan Cutter petrify me in place, not to mention how good she is at zoning with her fans.

Kung Lao - oddly enough, whenever I bust out Sonya, I don't struggle all that much against this guy. Otherwise, he's still a potent monster. Scarred me for life ever since EVO.

Johnny Cage - his b3 and frame traps...oh my God. Fuckin' crazy. My trouble with Cage players has decreased slightly, but he still unnerves me.

Kenshi - for the same reasons I have about Reptile, with armored moves thrown in. xxTeefxx and Brant have instilled fear of the blind swordmsan into my soul.

I'd pick up smoke as my third, shake makes him a nightmare to zone, he has insane footsies, best in the game i believe. Smoke away and towards make him insanely mobile, his teleport is pretty good in its own right, he can do some pretty cool stuff with that invisibility, and he has some nasty combo potential. On another note, if you picked up raiden and mileena on top of sonya scorp and smoke, i would name all my future children after you

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I believe I've reached my decision for my third main, and that is Smoke. I may occasionally bring Raiden out now and then, but as of now my trio of Scorpion, Sonya, and Smoke will be the team I place the most focus on. Against serious players, I will not use anybody else until I have mastered those three right down to the wire.

Thanks again for everyone who shared their opinions. Input is still welcome, though. This thread may have a use yet.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
how so?
apolgies,i dont have best sonya matchup knowledge,two few on them sadly
She can go equal with Kitana full screen, beat reptile fullscreen, and beats them both from mid/close range.

Reptiles lack of anti airs also means she can play in the air more, if he dashes it wont connect if shes in the air but she can divekick him out of a dash, her D4 is longer & leads to a frametrap.

Kitana cant jump and throw fans because the animation is so long that you can catch her with a ring on the way down. But if they trade on the ground Sonya wins by 2% every time. This is only gonna work when you pick you shots carefully though.

If Kitana catches Sonya is alot of life lost and back to fan spamming she cant afford to go toe to toe with her, if Sonya catches Kitana its alot of life lost back to a reset/mixup game/ring spamming.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
She can go equal with Kitana full screen, beat reptile fullscreen, and beats them both from mid/close range.

Reptiles lack of anti airs also means she can play in the air more, if he dashes it wont connect if shes in the air but she can divekick him out of a dash, her D4 is longer & leads to a frametrap.

Kitana cant jump and throw fans because the animation is so long that you can catch her with a ring on the way down. But if they trade on the ground Sonya wins by 2% every time. This is only gonna work when you pick you shots carefully though.

If Kitana catches Sonya is alot of life lost and back to fan spamming she cant afford to go toe to toe with her, if Sonya catches Kitana its alot of life lost back to a reset/mixup game/ring spamming.
Reptile's lack of anti-airs? What about his projectiles, particularly his Force Balls which he can combo off of? I highly doubt Sonya could maintain air control against him.

As for Kitana, she doesn't need to come near Sonya. Fan her out and even her projectiles will do little.

Perhaps your Sonya does better against Kitanas and Reptiles than mine, because I find myself skeptical about this post (no disrespect, of course).

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Reptile's lack of anti-airs? What about his projectiles, particularly his Force Balls which he can combo off of? I highly doubt Sonya could maintain air control against him.

As for Kitana, she doesn't need to come near Sonya. Fan her out and even her projectiles will do little.

Perhaps your Sonya does better against Kitanas and Reptiles than mine, because I find myself skeptical about this post (no disrespect, of course).
Reptile full screen can be ringed out, he can only use acid spit and even then they trade. Roughly half screen you can divekick a forceball on reaction, which means unless the reptile player isnt very good they arent gonna be throwing out forceballs all the time, you can trade 2 rings for a slow ball and 1 ring for a fast ball I believe.

By lack of anti airs i mean he cant punish a jump on reaction very well

Kitana cant fan out Sonya because Sonya's projectile is fast enough in both recovery and speed to keep up. If Kitana jumps try to get over a ring and throw a fan back you can hit her on her backwards flip after she throws the fan. Ground fans do less damage than Sonya ring and air fans do the same but leave Kitana in a situation more open to being hit by the ring.

If Sonya gets the life lead, which isnt that hard considering she has an armoured arc kick Kitana has to come to her, Sonyas D4 MS F1 frametraps can keep Kitana out, or be used as a mindfuck to get in.

You can win against a lame Kitana with 3 moves since it only requires chip damage to beat fan spamming players:

- Ring
- D4
- MSF1

There is so much you can do with Sonya though, an aggressive Kitana would have just as much trouble