What's new

Which characters made sense to make the roster?

Given the story, the realms, the lore, which characters you think should’ve made X and or 11 and which ones were not necessary and could’ve been left out?

X should’ve had:
  • Baraka - general of Mileena’s army, in the story, NPC
  • Rain - part of Mileena’s army, in the story, NPC
  • Fujin - very important story role
  • Sareena- in the story, could’ve had a role since Quan Chi needed more non-revenants
  • Drahmin - Quan Chi needed more soldiers from the Netherrealm
  • Frost - made a guest appearance and story could’ve accommodated her relevance
X should’ve been cut:
  • Goro - made absolute zero sense in this
  • Jax - no need, could’ve just been a mentor
  • Johnny Cage - same as Jax
  • Sonya - same as Jax
  • Triborg - same as Goro
11 should’ve had:
  • Goro - would’ve made for a fun opponent to Sheeva, trying to reclaim his throne
  • Triborg / Sektor & Cyrax - story relevance, NPC
  • Smoke - coming out of his revenants state along w/ others
  • Stryker - same as Smoke
  • Shinnok - come on, Kronika could stop time but not undo the head severing?
  • Havik - this plot screamed chaos, he could’ve been really relevant to messing with everyone’s plans
11 should’ve been cut:
  • Fujin - had no role since Raiden didn’t go full evil and Aftermath would’ve worked without him
  • Cetrion - Shinnok would’ve been enough as the capo to Kronika
  • Kollector - basically took Goro’s role as the strong brute, odd story to introduce him. Would’ve fit better in X
  • Rain - zero relevance to the story
  • Frost - no need to cyberize her when you have Sektor, Cyrax and Smoke already
For the story to make sense I would change
Geras to his intended role of this gatekeeper who has all the knowledge in the universe, sort of an adviser who actually would have access to all these weapons, spells etc. Could’ve taken some of Kollector’s abilities. Also D’vorah should’ve been rewritten so she’d still be on Kotal’s side and had of course Mileena come back for a nice reunion.

There is nothing that Jacqui actually does in the story except provide some cheap family drama for Jax, you could easily cut her out of the game and keep Jax's story in the game mostly intact with his jaded broken self vs young Jax.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Umm…. fan-favorite Jacqui had every right to be in this game. Boon said it himself.

VanGor

Noob
In my opinion they should not put gods in the roster in any of the games. Since it doesn't make sense, that anybody can kill a god, they could have saved them appearance for boss fights only.

A must have in every MK is Reptile. I did not play him, but for me, the green ninja is similar important as blue or yellow.

@Marinjuana : That is true. One new god would be enough

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
MKX
I always felt that Kung Jin was a waste of space, it should have been Kai because he’s a young Shaolin with connections to Liu Kang that they already had - it seemed that they just wanted a token gay character hence Kung Jin because he really doesn’t serve a purpose besides that. Also, I didn’t like Ferra/Torr because they were just an oddity that really didn’t serve a purpose but I feel that Hotaru or Dairou would fill their spot really well as having Orderrealm involvement which would be really neat.

Out of all the characters that haven’t been mentioned yet for who should have been in MKX: Li Mei (They did her dirty in the story mode), Sindel, Stryker, Kabal, Jade (Mournful Kitana was executed poorly), Nightwolf, Smoke & Skarlet. When it came to Skarlet, she was the coolest character in the comics & was badass before they turned her to a stereotypical vampire in MK11.

I know I ain't adding much to this discussion since OP is talking about how characters affect the story but part of the reason I fell in love with MK(9) was how little sense the roster made. Robotic ninjas, monstrous characters, hollywood actor with powers, female assassins that dressed like strippers, and plain police officer.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
i feel like miles vary on this roster topic. For me, every character IMO between mk1-mk2 should be included in every game. This includes Smoke/Jade/Noob Saibot/Shao Kahn/Kintaro. I also kinda do not believe the story is really what decides who is in the game despite what they say because some characters like in MKX barely had screen time but characters like Sindel, Rain, and even Kabal had one of the coolest scenes.

I also think some characters had amazing designs like D'Vhora but she was more less given the role Tanya already had. Plus...i think that left a sour taste in many mouths for that character because of that. Also, I think Rain, and Sindel were planned to be in the game from the beginning. I also question if Shinnok was possibly talked about. I also have to say...I'm kinda surprised at how much Shinnok has had presence in all three games considering how really he was only in MK4 and MKA and just seemed to sorta just "be there" in those games. I mean. thankfully they made him VERY awesome IMO and i'm gonna be honest.....I'm done with Quan Chi and the Kombat Kids. Jaqui and Cassie can stay. So yeah....I could say more but i will leave you TYM friends with that.

Last edited:
MKX
I always felt that Kung Jin was a waste of space, it should have been Kai because he’s a young Shaolin with connections to Liu Kang that they already had - it seemed that they just wanted a token gay character hence Kung Jin because he really doesn’t serve a purpose besides that. Also, I didn’t like Ferra/Torr because they were just an oddity that really didn’t serve a purpose but I feel that Hotaru or Dairou would fill their spot really well as having Orderrealm involvement which would be really neat.

Out of all the characters that haven’t been mentioned yet for who should have been in MKX: Li Mei (They did her dirty in the story mode), Sindel, Stryker, Kabal, Jade (Mournful Kitana was executed poorly), Nightwolf, Smoke & Skarlet. When it came to Skarlet, she was the coolest character in the comics & was badass before they turned her to a stereotypical vampire in MK11.
100% agree on Kai, though I love Kung Jin and his story and inner struggle was easily the best character development and depth of the whole story. He was the knowledgeable one on the rules etc. Crazy they wanted to have Kai instead of Bo Rai Cho in the story. Wonder how that would’ve worked.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
100% agree on Kai, though I love Kung Jin and his story and inner struggle was easily the best character development and depth of the whole story. He was the knowledgeable one on the rules etc. Crazy they wanted to have Kai instead of Bo Rai Cho in the story. Wonder how that would’ve worked.
I think Bo Rai Cho was good in the story, his presence made me happy.

Kai would have been part of Cassie’s team but he’d be a little older than the rest for his story to work out “trained with Liu Kang & Kung Lao as a child”.

There’s other characters I would have loved to see in MKX would have been Shujinko, Nitara, Kira (or Tasia), Daegon & Mavado (I think he’s dead though). A big issue I have in the story mode is the lack of Black Dragon members outside of Kano & Kabal also Kano is an old man even in MK9. Also Kenshi fighting Daegon or Mavado was a missed opportunity especially just to kill him off in MK11.

I personally think Mortal Kombat X's story should all have been about the Outworld civil war. That's easily the best original plot line of the modern trilogy.

A note about DLC characters though: they are not story canon or involved with the game's Story mode, (i.e. Triborg is a completely non-canon character), so they're fair game for including anyone.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
I personally think Mortal Kombat X's story should all have been about the Outworld civil war. That's easily the best original plot line of the modern trilogy.

A note about DLC characters though: they are not story canon or involved with the game's Story mode, (i.e. Triborg is a completely non-canon character), so they're fair game for including anyone.
i guess you exclude tanya in your note

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
I think Bo Rai Cho was good in the story, his presence made me happy.

Kai would have been part of Cassie’s team but he’d be a little older than the rest for his story to work out “trained with Liu Kang & Kung Lao as a child”.

There’s other characters I would have loved to see in MKX would have been Shujinko, Nitara, Kira (or Tasia), Daegon & Mavado (I think he’s dead though). A big issue I have in the story mode is the lack of Black Dragon members outside of Kano & Kabal also Kano is an old man even in MK9. Also Kenshi fighting Daegon or Mavado was a missed opportunity especially just to kill him off in MK11.
yes!!! i'd love to see shujinko too