What's new

Where'd you rank MK11 among the MK Games?

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Yeah, I remember rumors early on were they used the U4 engine but was modified U3 engine. I think MK 12 will definitely use U4 engine and hopefully that'll help with the gameplay engine, mechanics. To be fair to MK 11's early lifecycle, NRS has more than enough time to fix the problems with it so hopefully they will. But as of now at least, MK 9 is still the overall better game and experience to me overall. To each his own though. If we're talking the past 3 games. What are your favorite MK games? Do you have an order or you like them all equally?
yep, Tekken use a superior engine , I think , a revised UE4 powerful version, so, maybe that's the way ..... hehe :D

for MK games, man, as I said before, I simple hate and despise the 3D games .... I truly respect who like and enjoy them, but they are not my thing ..... the old school trilogy has it value, but, trying to play that nowadays is kinda .... clunky ..... they were hella cool in the 90's , but for today standards, are obsolete and weird to play seriously , so, they had their importance in the franchise, but, the modern trilogy is what the MK franchise was needing, after the Midway falency .... so, I only can tell about the 3 new games, and so, I think MK11 is only better than MK9, in terms of gameplay mechanic and better graphics, in terms of sentimental value and nostalgic feeling, of course MK9 is way way better, hehe .... MKX is in the middle , so, MK11 is better in terms of gameplay, MK9 is better in terms of fan service and franchise roots homage, and MKX is a so-so game, hehe :p

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
MK9 > MK11 > MKX

Maybe I'm weird but I really didn't like MKX. I think MK9 was a happy accident on NRS' part, and ever since they realized DC characters draw more money, there's been an ever increasing INJ influence in the MK games. I'm assuming they make a lot more money convincing the DC crowd to play MK games than convincing the MK crowd to play INJ games.

I checked the Steam page as to how many of my friends play each game. This could contribute to which game I think was most fun, as playing with friends is almost always more satisfying than randoms.

MK9- 34
INJ- 25
MKX- 21
INJ2- 4
MK11- 11

Mind you, I've got friends on my list like Sonic and Pig that play the game on console and only buy the PC version for the hell of it. I'm a bit surprised more people aren't playing on PC because the Kombat Packs get discounted to $19 almost immediately, otherwise Steam users won't buy them. I've also removed a lot of friends I met back in the day from TYM for being incredibly unlikable people.

Last edited:

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
If MK9 came out now, people would HATE it. Can we stop pretending MK9 was like the bees knees and just admit it was a time and a place thing?
MK9 feels way better to play than MK11. Movement alone in MK9 is far superior with jumps and dashes actually covering ground so you don't feel like you're constantly stuck in place, unlike MK11 where everything has a million frames of recovery. Yeah MK9 was broken in quite a few areas but I'm tired of reading how we should stop talking about what that game did right. I think MK11 feels like clunky delayed garbage compared to MK9 and I'm going to express that every chance I get.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
What? This has to be a joke.

MK9 is literally the most gimmicky game in the modern 2d series. I mean, there were 100% resets for crying out loud. Near-block-infinites on big hitbox characters, Kabal just spamming gas blasts across the entire stage so you could walk in and get NDC'ed or flash-parried, player 1 had advantage, there was a toasty boost for full meter, safe armored launchers, stuff like Johnny Cage's f3 having variable advantage, and like 1000 other things.. Some people didn't even have viable pokes for crying out loud.

The revisionist history about MK9 needs to end. The game was a complete mess, but we loved it because it revived something beautiful and was fun.
Despite those well known problems, I think people love MK9 not only because of nostalgia or roster, but also because nrs made a great choice in terms of general mechanics (specially movement) which are imo the best mechanics among the three recent MK titles. Also, it's the oldest nrs game, and it received less patching support. Would have been nice to see the result if the game had received the same patching opportunities than the current games get.

I think Mkx was a pretty chaotic game, but last patch (although it was a desperate move) made it more reasonable in general. It's a game with A LOT of content and things that will always remain undiscovered due to how vast the variation system was and how low is the amount of time this community keeps playing their games before switching to the next title that nrs business schedule brings. Personally, I have sticked with this one and surprisingly many people still play it.

Mk11 tried to become a game with less random stuff, but some of its core mechanics like krushing blows and fatal blows go straight against that idea so it didn't get to achieve that, and in the process it lost mechanics that worked and nobody asked to be removed. Also it was clearly rushed and unfinished, so I would rank it the last of the 3 for now.

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
A big reason why MK 11 sucks....NRS needs to get on top of this shit seriously. I personally tweeted Derek, Ed and Tyler. I was watching his stream last night too, felt so bad because I have dealt with this bs. Was never an issue in MK 9, just saying. I think it's sad how a user IheartKitana had to figure this out on PS4 before NRS could address it, so far it does not work on Xbox or Switch etc.

yep, Tekken use a superior engine , I think , a revised UE4 powerful version, so, maybe that's the way ..... hehe :D

for MK games, man, as I said before, I simple hate and despise the 3D games .... I truly respect who like and enjoy them, but they are not my thing ..... the old school trilogy has it value, but, trying to play that nowadays is kinda .... clunky ..... they were hella cool in the 90's , but for today standards, are obsolete and weird to play seriously , so, they had their importance in the franchise, but, the modern trilogy is what the MK franchise was needing, after the Midway falency .... so, I only can tell about the 3 new games, and so, I think MK11 is only better than MK9, in terms of gameplay mechanic and better graphics, in terms of sentimental value and nostalgic feeling, of course MK9 is way way better, hehe .... MKX is in the middle , so, MK11 is better in terms of gameplay, MK9 is better in terms of fan service and franchise roots homage, and MKX is a so-so game, hehe :p
Tekken 7 or 8? Whichever number they're up to now right? Could be, I mean all fighters use UR now lol or a form of it it seems. Yeah, the 3D games were fun for what they were but from a competitive point of view had issues though I blame midway more than the MK team there due to rushing them with the "must put out an MK game every other year" lol that was literally the only thing keeping Midway afloat the last 10 years before they died out. But yeah now WB owns MK so they have time and money, which is funny since MK 11 feels rushed more than the other NRS games. But yeah the older 90's MK games(2D) were and are still good, except MK 1 since it wasn't meant to really be played at all competitively. But MK 2, UMK3 and MK 4 can be played competitively. Most just don't know about it unless you're oldschool like me lol. MK vs DC was a good prototype platform for MK 9, X etc which wasn't a horrible game but didn't get that one last patch to fix Flash and Superman infinites. Also fun fact:MK vs DC was supposed to get DLC in Quan Chi and Harley Quinn but that got canned once Midway died along with their balance patch. But yeah with graphics of course MK 11 is the best currently since it's the latest, I'm sure 10 years from now MK 14 or 15 will have much better graphics than MK 11 by far lol. Gameplay who knows. Hopefully, but yeah I mean I personally prefer MK 9 gameplay over MK 11's though I do agree MK X isn't bad just not as fun as the other two to me. I think most fans from what I'm seeing like mK 9 overall more than the other two mk's lol:p:D

Last edited:

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I know I buck the trend, but I just don't love MK11 - I have numerous issues with it. I do not play it much at all apart from AI battles to get a few skins.

I just find it a little stale and unexciting compared to other titles. One of my favorite things in MK is labing characters in Practice mode - I spent hours doing it. I loved doing crazy combos and trying out new things. MKX and MK9 were heaps of fun for this. Messing around with Kitana/Ermac in MK9 was soooo much fun and Kitana/Tanya in MKX had so many fun options.

Even though I think it is a good roster from a fan perspective, it is not for me. Given that my favorite Kitana is pretty bland in this one, I need at least two of Tanya, Mileena, Ashrah or Lei Mei to get me completely on board.

As far as which are my favorites, I can only really go by how much I played the game and the first four titles I played to death

1. MK9
  2. (tie) MK2 / MKX / MK: Deception
There is not terribly much between the top 4 and all have replay value for me. And the rest....

MK3
Armageddon
MK4
MK11
MK vs DC
MK1
MK: Deadly Alliance (I hardly played it)

Ultimately, I really wish I could get in to it and hopefully will at some stage. I can't believe that I played Injustice 2 way more - I NEVER though I would like the game

Last edited:
1 MK2
2 UMK3
3 MK9
4 MK Deadly Alliance
5 MK Deception
5 MK 11
6 MK Shaolin Monks
7 MKX
8 MK1
9 MK4
11 MK Armageddon
10 MK vc DCU

Man, MK2 is unbeatable. It had a dark feeling, the roster is beyond perfect, greatest stages ever, soundtrack to every stage is amazing and gritty. A nice classic MK soundtrack is what i really miss in today days MKs. MK11 is pretty good and better than MKX, but the music should be louder and present as it was till MK6.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
I fell back in love with NRS after injustice, specifically when I tried a 108% bane combo in the fortress and actually nailed it. Regardless, I never got deep into MK9. When I pick that game up it’s like trying to ride a bike with square wheels - it just feels so stiff or something. Even on psnow I can’t get the feel to be right, is this just a result of the industry improving but at the time it felt normal? Injustice 1 never felt like that.