What's new

Where is the competitive hype for MKX?

nugava

Noob
Missing out on the break is a huge mistake since so many top players attend that local.
Yeap, I enjoyed that first MKX Break tournament a lot, thanks to the players. But I did not like the main commentator at all. And he kept telling that he wants to learn the game, not to play, but to do commentary over and over. Let's hope Darth Arma ends up beeing shitty at MKX so we can have him as a commentator at The Break.
The conclusion is: You have to step up your commentary game and your stream quality to attract more viewers for your locals. (That could seem funky for a top player, but for a random schmuck monster like me, it's pretty obvious.)

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Make PC the tournament norm! I would love to compete, but I won't do it with a DS4, I need my 360 controller.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
The stream quality I feel is a good reason. I can't see a newcomer give these tournaments a good solid look if the tournaments themselves don't invest in proper stream quality. Say what you will about the top streamers as fighting game players, you can't deny that they dedicate alot of resources to their stream. Obviously their personalities are a huge draw to people, but that isnt an excuse to have a bad quality stream for a tournament.

GRieVeR_SKeiTH

bad player
So now that MKX is out, there's been a ton of people streaming, and there's been a ton of interest in the game. Justin, Maximillian, PL, etc are getting thousands of views on twitch at every time of day. Twitter is blowing up with MKX discussions, and TYM is more active than it's been in two years.

At the same time though, there have been a number of early tournaments this week. The Break, GBS, ATL Scraps. But they're being massively overshadowed by people streaming online. GBS saw the return of Detroitballn and all the GGA players, yet I saw less than 200 people watching while PL was getting 3000 in his online stream. SoCal's been streaming with the EGP guys and they're only getting like 20-30 at one time. Tonight, Texas had a local with REO, Tom Brady, and the KH guys that had something like 60 people watching. Does anyone else think this might be a problem? I wasn't around in the first month of MK9, but I don't remember this happening at the beginning of Injustice.

Is it just too early, and people are too caught up in playing to pay tournaments attention? Maybe it's just me, but things just seem weirdly disjointed right now with scenes not getting their players out and not getting people to watch them. Does it just need more promotion? I hope ESL and the first majors give it the spark it needs, but I feel like I'm worried in a way I shouldn't be.

What is the Socal stream's twitch? I thought Compton died until that ESL event

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Actually, on second thought there is competitive hype for MKX. All anyone was talking about last night was ESL and the REO vs. PL match lol. It didn't matter which MK stream I went to people were talking about it. When offline majors start happening it's going to be huge.

astronout

see you at the top.
these local tournament have been terribly advertised by everyone involved. im a competitive video junkie and i didn't even know almost any of these tournaments existed.

Think CrimsonShadow has it right. This seems to be an all-too-common thing throughout the FGC. For such competitive people many are strangely super-passive about our passion. When promotion is done, if it's done, it's "preaching to the choir" type. Did anyone ask Max to promote the tourney during his stream? Or Justin? Or PL? Or UltraChen? Or Valle? or SRK? Or...? "Well, I put up a post in my scene's page and just hoped people who are already interested would see it."

MKX release is a golden moment to convert new and returning casual players to tournament watchers and maybe players, a moment that will pass its expiration date QUICKLY. If anyone's main game isn't Street Fighter 4, and you don't want to be forced to play nothing but Street Fighter 4 in order to have a healthy-sized scene, you're going to have to do the heavy lifting of, well, actually something as easy as sending out a few tweets, emails, and requests in chat helps grow the scene.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
@STORMS anyway you can front page a list of weeklies with viewdates and times. Because by the time we realize am event is occurring its either almost over or the results are posted.

@Pig Of The Hut @MITDJT @GGA HAN @Shock
@anyone else with weeklies.
I would appreciate any community help with this, but yes it could very well be done. The issue with me is time, especially with my new job.

If anyone would make a beefy and professional write-up and TAG ME I would gladly promote it.

In addition, we have events all over the forum index, PLUS the tournament forums were moved to the top of the forum index JUST FOR THIS.

d3v

SRK
Yeah, I'm not saying it's unexpected that PL's getting tons of viewers or that there's anything wrong with that. Just that all the online streams seem to be massively overshadowing the actual competitive stuff that's already happening, and those streams are being paid no attention at all.
Local tournaments that aren't hosted by the big boys from SoCal or NYC (Team Sp00ky, Level|Up, etc.). So of course they're not going to get much attention.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
We just need big fat announcements here on TYM that are impossible to miss. With links and info. You'll see the hype, I pretty much guarantee that ;)

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
My 2 cents: people prefer persons they have a connection to over just watching the games. For instance streams with commentary generally get more views than those that only feature game sound, right? So watching a tournament with people who are good (/better) than the usual streamers might be more interesting from a gamer point of view but people want to connect and they have no idea who the fuck is playing or commenting. Sure they might have heard of the Fox Godlord and a few others but they'd rather see a stream with someone who is delivering commentary while playing.

Not sure how to fix this though, maybe more people who go to events need to stream and promote events (at least the ones they're going to)? There is also the issue of time zones. Like one of the reasons tru3 has many views is because he streams at EU hours. I can't watch most tournaments streams because they're such weird times for me.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
too many streamers for MKX which is good but I generally look for the top 4 or rico suave who streams during work hours EST.
idk if maybe TYM could find a way to filter priority of the streams posted on the right column of TYM home page, that would help.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I think it's just ignorance, poor CEO and poor promotion. TYM layout is really bad, it barely appears in google and it's not promoted on the streams. The garbo people with popular streams like trutalent dont give a shit about the competitive community or leveling up, so thats a lot of new audience thrown in the trash. It's just matter of educating people, plugging the community abroad in this big opportunities we have in front of the mainstream, and fixing TYM.

Please fix TYM or get someone to do it instead of saying "I dont have time".