What's new

Question Where are the Cyborgs?

I don't think Cyborg is as good as people say he is. He has some matchups that are overwhelmingly in his favor(grundy) and others where he gets his back blown out(Aquaman,Raven,KillerFrost,etc). Cyborg is a super safe character with all his strings either safe or positive on block and great zoning(definitely not the best zoner in the game, I really want to SHATTER this myth with video but I'm too lazy) but he has no way to open up a turtler. He is also terrible when recovering from a life deficit. His lack of damage makes it hard to compete with a lot of characters in the game. There really is nothing stopping a character from ducking full screen then walking forward if overhead missiles are coming. People who lose to cyborg either don't know what the hell they are doing and I'm getting away with murder or are simply impatient. Relaxed said it best, one dimensional zoning. There is nothing tricky about it.

Cyborg is nothing like Kabal. In fact, cyborg wouldn't even be top 5 if he was placed in the metagame of MK. Right now he is a good character that is grossly overrated to broken tier. And all the people who put Cyborg in their top 5 won't use him throughout an entire tournament.

This reminds me a lot of the Sektor uplaying back in the first year of MK. He was that character that everyone said "Yea, Sektor is top. He's a beast. Yaddyyaa" But not a single person would use him throughout a tournament. We just saw TYM's best?!? Cyborg player go to green lantern when shit got rough. CDjr wouldn't dare run all cyborg at a Major like ECT, UFGT, FR, EVO, etc. cuz he's not an idiot.

But hey, what do I know, I'm a scrub....:(

Sidenote: Every one of cyborg's strings can be interrupted.
112 +18 on block? Atleast a 9 frame gap in between the 1 and 2. I've been full combo punished consistently online by Aquaman.
d1~Sonic Disrupter +3 on block? The gap is so massive that its borderline funny. In fact, any string into sonic disrupter can get blown up with relative ease. His strings are easier to blow up than sektors. People are blowing up his strings online in month 1. Can't wait till year 1 gets here. People STILL cant blow up sektors strings offline in tourny 2 years later smh.
Also can't tell you how many times b1 and b21 have completely whiffed my opponents.

I honestly don't know what type of player would choose cyborg unless they actually liked the character (my dumbass). People who like to zone can choose more varied options. People who like to rushdown can pick about 24 better options. And people who like to play in that mid range, control space and have strong footsies can just pick the characters that have been winning and getting top 8 at majors.
Rap cant get more real than this smh, well said

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Time will tell of course, although I usually think that when a character only has one offensive thing that's really good (unless it's ridiculous) (IANB) then in the long run it won't be enough. Maybe when the players execution gets consistent.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Even though I've been away from the tournament competitive scene, I still play the game at home and practice a lot with Cyborg....I think I'll be back at Summer jam or TFC with a solid Cyborg....The only character that fit me well....

My.....My......My......

So after stepping away for almost a year and just lurking and watching this game develop, I think we can Finally all agree on where the Cyborg stands. I laughed when he was considered S Tier cause there was literally no one on earth that was going to go to a tournament and lock someone down with an instant air fireball infinite smfh. And please dont mention the air fireballs going from mid to high, cause thats hardly the reason hes awful. But I always knew he was low tier simply because no one used him. LBSH, if a character is good, no matter the learning curve, people will use that character. Now you wanna do a picture of him hanging himself saying he was never given a chance to live? It would be justified here smh lol.

My.....My......My......

So after stepping away for almost a year and just lurking and watching this game develop, I think we can Finally all agree on where the Cyborg stands. I laughed when he was considered S Tier cause there was literally no one on earth that was going to go to a tournament and lock someone down with an instant air fireball infinite smfh. And please dont mention the air fireballs going from mid to high, cause thats hardly the reason hes awful. But I always knew he was low tier simply because no one used him. LBSH, if a character is good, no matter the learning curve, people will use that character. Now you wanna do a picture of him hanging himself saying he was never given a chance to live? It would be justified here smh lol.
I said the same thing when @CURBOLICOUS was saying that his iafb was "broken" and Cyborg is S+ tier. There is no way anyone is gonna win a match against a good player doing one lame move.

only char i play serious since day 1 and his design doesn't leave much for him to try and over come his bad MUs.

Last edited:

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
I said the same thing when @CURBOLICOUS was saying that his iafb was "broken" and Cyborg is S+ tier. There is no way anyone is gonna win a match against a good player doing one lame move.
What do you mean no way? It was a block infinite and you couldnt jump to let yourself get knocked doqn yo do a wakeup. It straight up was an infinite that wasnt beatable ig someone could master it. That patched that hella fast though. Nobody had time to master the fireballs.

What do you mean no way? It was a block infinite and you couldnt jump to let yourself get knocked doqn yo do a wakeup. It straight up was an infinite that wasnt beatable ig someone could master it. That patched that hella fast though. Nobody had time to master the fireballs.
My point being I don't think anyone is going to nail it perfectly every time to actually win a match with it.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I love they way he plays. He has options to make you respect his rushdown. Unfortunately, his rushdown is dependent on iafb and iafb mb to set up rockets and blockstrings.

If you can't iafb correctly and consistently, you might as well not play him though.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
My.....My......My......

Yup lol. He is terrible. The worst part is since they nerfed his med iafb to high...they didn't even touch him. He received a a nerf when universal canceling special moves provides reduced meter build...and now recently the universal push block nerf hurts him as well.

They buffed his trait, which was never viable in the meta of this game.

Personally, I think he is the worst in the game. 99% of people just have no idea he is even in the game so it is hard for people to formulate any kind of high level opinion except (we just dont know yet! which translates to I don't know yet!). ... but I know lol

I play him for fun since his movement and design are really cool.... but competitively he is shit shit shit save a few MUs

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Yup lol. He is terrible. The worst part is since they nerfed his med iafb to high...they didn't even touch him. He received a a nerf when universal canceling special moves provides reduced meter build...and now recently the universal push block nerf hurts him as well.

They buffed his trait, which was never viable in the meta of this game.

Personally, I think he is the worst in the game. 99% of people just have no idea he is even in the game so it is hard for people to formulate any kind of high level opinion except (we just dont know yet! which translates to I don't know yet!). ... but I know lol

I play him for fun since his movement and design are really cool.... but competitively he is shit shit shit save a few MUs
Which are your favorites aka easiest MU.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Which are your favorites aka easiest MU.
In order:

Lex
Grundy
Killer Frost
Green Lantern

Hawkgirl
Nightwing
HawkGirl
Black Adam
Superman

The first 4 have the most problems getting in and occupy the space of 7-3-6-4. All characters more than make up for their trouble getting in once they are in. Bottom 5 occupy the space around a 6-4 to 5-5.

My problem is that Zod better serves the niche utility that Cyborg provides and then some...

Cyborg loses ALL MUs when he has a life deficit. Zod however has a very big comeback factor.

I will expose and bury him soon enough. There are ways to safely avoid all chip/setups of his and interrupt the majority of his strings (part of me will always hold out hope...but the light grows ever dimmer). High levels cyborgs are so rare that luckily other high level players do not know the MU...this won't last forever though.

I have a lot of hope in K7's cyborg if he can make it out to UFGT or EVO. He has a good BA too which I think is a good compliment.