What's new

When will studios stop making terrible "horror" movies?

Are recent horror movies good?

• Yes

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Hell No

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
As someone who had to watch a ton of horror movies as a child (my mom loved them), I have to say the number one problem right now with North American horror films is that we see too much.

In the 70's and 80's the special effects just werent there...so it was more about atmosphere and general creepyness. Yes, there were still popout scares and campy horror films, but the meat of the great films was based around the "concept" of what was going on.

Hell, even the original scream (early nineties) was great. So was Copycat.

Reactions: TKB

TKB

Noob
As someone who had to watch a ton of horror movies as a child (my mom loved them), I have to say the number one problem right now with North American horror films is that we see too much.

In the 70's and 80's the special effects just werent there...so it was more about atmosphere and general creepyness. Yes, there were still popout scares and campy horror films, but the meat of the great films was based around the "concept" of what was going on.

This.

There-in lies why Alien was so good.

The special affects were great but the true horror lies within the human psyche.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.

This, they didn't have the effects now, so they had to use their imagination. Now you have all the effects in the world..

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I don't recall any good horror movies within the last decade at all. Some had potential or were OK but could've been better.

It's very hard to define what is truly "HORROR!" because some are mixed with comedy, slasher, monster, serial killer, infections, alien, mutants, sci-fi, thriller.

I like the original 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it had true terror it was unlike anything during its time. All its follow-ups with Dennis Hopper, Viggo Mortenson, relaunch of Matthew McConaughey and Renee Zellweger were disappointing. The more recent TCM last year was easily one of the worst movies I ever watched, it was extremely bad but all I can say what I did like about it was the final cameo from Marilyn Burns, RIP her soul.

Suspiria and Inferno were intense art horror movies. I watched Mother of Tears which was the last part of the long overdue trilogy, I have no words.

I actually like the first movies of their franchise that the followups were only for cashing in at the box office. Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Saw, Paranormal Activity, Chucky, Halloween

The originals sting a lot hard to explain but remakes can't live up to the expectations. My Bloody Valentine, Dawn of the Dead, Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, Predator, Evil Dead

The real oddball movies I actually enjoyed because of screwed up it really is like Splice, the whole concept psychologically how to interfere creating life with science.

Back to the subject of OK movies within the last decade I liked them still Insidious, Sinister, Devil Inside, Dead Silence, Drag Me To Hell, Hostel, Howling Reborn, The Descent

I tend to watch the low budget horror movies more often they are more appealing Henry, Maniac, Re-Animator, Subspecies, Puppet Master, Watchers, Creepshow, Happy Birthday to Me, Initiation

Foreign Horror movies are more appealing to me: The Orphanage, Julia's Eyes, [REC], Ringu, The Eye

What category does Blue Velvet fall under? The Thing? Wicker Man? The Fly? When A Stranger Calls? Black Christmas? Phantasm? Don't Look Now? Silence of the Lambs? Open Water? Eyes of Laura Mars? Dressed to Kill? Phantom of Paradise?

Stephen King Classics? Cujo, Misery, Cat's Eye, Pet Sematary, Christine, The Shining, Carrie, Children of the Corn, Firestarter, Graveyard Shift, It, Thinner, Mangler, Langoliers.

I might as well re-watch and re-read every R.L. Stine's Goosebumps books and TV episodes to recapture nostalgia.

I don't know what kind of horror moves does the today's audience expect movie studios to produce, you know bring back the original horror in movie theaters. Every horror movie attempt comes back with people recommend it, get false bad word of mouth, some despised the movie, end up with mix reviews from everyone. I don't think it's even possible to get a movie where majority of the audience and viewers of today can solidify the movie as one of the greatest of our time. Recently Conjuring had people interested in Annabelle doll but the reviews of prequel have been mixed - I haven't seen it yet.

Cabin in the Woods is its own kind don't think anyone can deny how great it was. The Exorcist still stood the test of time, easily one of the most terrifying movies involving religion.

Last horror movie off the top of my head I purely enjoyed was Dog Soldiers, over a decade ago. Similar to what someone posted earlier, growing up. The real world is more scary than a movie.

Last edited:

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Has anyone seen The House of the Devil? That is a pretty recent horror movie that is kind of a throwback to 80's horror. I thought it was pretty decent. The Strangers was really f'd up and scary as well and is relatively new.
why do people like house of the devil? Maybe I just don't get it. But I loved the strangers. I like horror movies with the realism element. Like it could actually happen in real life. Not to say I don't like other types but those movies (if well executed) make me not want to be alone.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Horror is in the eyes of the beholder. Something that may scare the bejeezus out of one person may not do a damn thing to another.

For example, some of my favorite horror films are "The Exorcist", "Blair Witch Project", and the Paranormal Activity movies. Two of those three movies are (in my opinion) generally frowned upon by horror movie lovers. For whatever reason, they just don't like them.

But BWP and PA scare me half to death because of the first-person "found footage" aspect of it. It's almost like a roller coaster ride. Also, in regards to PA and Exorcist, possession just scares the piss out of me.

Some people prefer horror to be more of the hack n' slash variety (a la Friday the 13th). And that's perfectly fine. But it's whatever scares YOU in particular.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
I don't recall any good horror movies within the last decade at all. Some had potential or were OK but could've been better.

It's very hard to define what is truly "HORROR!" because some are mixed with comedy, slasher, monster, serial killer, infections, alien, mutants, sci-fi, thriller.

I like the original 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it had true terror it was unlike anything during its time. All its follow-ups with Dennis Hopper, Viggo Mortenson, relaunch of Matthew McConaughey and Renee Zellweger were disappointing. The more recent TCM last year was easily one of the worst movies I ever watched, it was extremely bad but all I can say what I did like about it was the final cameo from Marilyn Burns, RIP her soul.

Suspiria and Inferno were intense art horror movies. I watched Mother of Tears which was the last part of the long overdue trilogy, I have no words.

I actually like the first movies of their franchise that the followups were only for cashing in at the box office. Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Saw, Paranormal Activity, Chucky, Halloween

The originals sting a lot hard to explain but remakes can't live up to the expectations. My Bloody Valentine, Dawn of the Dead, Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, Predator, Evil Dead

The real oddball movies I actually enjoyed because of screwed up it really is like Splice, the whole concept psychologically how to interfere creating life with science.

Back to the subject of OK movies within the last decade I liked them still Insidious, Sinister, Devil Inside, Dead Silence, Drag Me To Hell, Hostel, Howling Reborn, The Descent

I tend to watch the low budget horror movies more often they are more appealing Henry, Maniac, Re-Animator, Subspecies, Puppet Master, Watchers, Creepshow, Happy Birthday to Me, Initiation

Foreign Horror movies are more appealing to me: The Orphanage, Julia's Eyes, [REC], Ringu, The Eye

What category does Blue Velvet fall under? The Thing? Wicker Man? The Fly? When A Stranger Calls? Black Christmas? Phantasm? Don't Look Now? Silence of the Lambs? Open Water? Eyes of Laura Mars? Dressed to Kill? Phantom of Paradise?

Stephen King Classics? Cujo, Misery, Cat's Eye, Pet Sematary, Christine, The Shining, Carrie, Children of the Corn, Firestarter, Graveyard Shift, It, Thinner, Mangler, Langoliers.

I might as well re-watch and re-read every R.L. Stine's Goosebumps books and TV episodes to recapture nostalgia.

I don't know what kind of horror moves does the today's audience expect movie studios to produce, you know bring back the original horror in movie theaters. Every horror movie attempt comes back with people recommend it, get false bad word of mouth, some despised the movie, end up with mix reviews from everyone. I don't think it's even possible to get a movie where majority of the audience and viewers of today can solidify the movie as one of the greatest of our time. Recently Conjuring had people interested in Annabelle doll but the reviews of prequel have been mixed - I haven't seen it yet.

Cabin in the Woods is its own kind don't think anyone can deny how great it was. The Exorcist still stood the test of time, easily one of the most terrifying movies involving religion.

Last horror movie off the top of my head I purely enjoyed was Dog Soldiers, over a decade ago. Similar to what someone posted earlier, growing up. The real world is more scary than a movie.
maybe we'er too desensitized now.. i just originality. or maybe we just expect too much now

REO

Undead

The thing about some horror movies and what people generally like are subjective. You either find an emotional connection to a movie or you don't. You watch them for some sort of entertainment and to breach a satisfactory level, or you watch them for some form of story and plot. There's so many different variables and many horror movies that are good out there for specific reasons. Sure, they may not be easy to find, but that's usually what makes a movie seem better than it really was. To anyone wanting to get more into horror, I would recommend exploring many different types of horror movies to find your niche and then go from there. Cause once you get pulled in, it can be pretty enjoyable.

Reactions: Jer

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
If no one's seen it then I suggest you watch Dog Soldiers. That movie has solidified my hate of werewolves.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
why do people like house of the devil? Maybe I just don't get it. But I loved the strangers. I like horror movies with the realism element. Like it could actually happen in real life. Not to say I don't like other types but those movies (if well executed) make me not want to be alone.
People love House of the Devil because it is a non-crappy throwback to 80s horror. I didn't think it was the best movie I have ever seen, but I did think it was solid. The Strangers made me feel extremely uncomfortable and likely to never go to a cabin in the middle of no-where with my friends.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
People love House of the Devil because it is a non-crappy throwback to 80s horror. I didn't think it was the best movie I have ever seen, but I did think it was solid. The Strangers made me feel extremely uncomfortable and likely to never go to a cabin in the middle of no-where with my friends.
and if I ask my gf to marry me we are celebrating in a place that's not secluded..ever haha.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.

The thing about some horror movies and what people generally like are subjective. You either find an emotional connection to a movie or you don't. You watch them for some sort of entertainment and to breach a satisfactory level, or you watch them for some form of story and plot. There's so many different variables and many horror movies that are good out there for specific reasons. Sure, they may not be easy to find, but that's usually what makes a movie seem better than it really was. To anyone wanting to get more into horror, I would recommend exploring many different types of horror movies to find your niche and then go from there. Cause once you get pulled in, it can be pretty enjoyable.
thats the thing, most mainstream horrors lately have little to no character development (in my imo)so its hard to care for the people. slashers are one thing, your there to see the gore.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Have you guys seen stay alive? The movie where if you die in the video game you die in real life? Its about Elizabeth Bathory who bathed in young girls blood to stay young. Its cheesy but I found it entertaining.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Lol people actually liked the strangers? I remember seeing it with my friends and almost getting kicked out of the theater because we were laughing like every 10 seconds

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Lol people actually liked the strangers? I remember seeing it with my friends and almost getting kicked out of the theater because we were laughing like every 10 seconds
That was me with the conjuring.

One of the lamest horror movies i've ever seen.

That said it had hands down the best executed jumpscare i've ever seen in a movie. That shit got me, and it got me hard, but that was the only things in the entire movie that did anything to me.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Insidious had potential to be one of the best horror movies of this decade for the 1st 3/4th of the movie. The last part when they started introducing the fucking devil and the other world was incredibly shoddy and ruined my overall experience with the film. Part 2 sucked ass too.
I thought Insidious was pretty good but pt 2 actually made me think less of the first movie lol. I blame @GuamoKun for telling me it's legit

You guys talking about Funny Games... that one was fucked up. Director does a good job of inducing that helpless feeling. The rewind scene was brilliant. It hammered that feeling right into your mind.

Pretty nihilistic movie.
The rewind scene is literally one of my favorite scenes of any movie. He's just like naw fuck that this isn't the movie you want it to be. But the movie isn't even meant to be a horror movie, it's a critique of them, to tease what you want to happen and throw it all away.

American horror has been overwhelming lackluster in the past forever years. Not to imply foreign films are masterpieces, but they generally are all better in my experience. There's been a few gems here and there, and personally I believe Grave Encounters is the best horror film to be made in the past decade in America, but I'm disappointed most of the time after I see a horror film. To clarify, Grave Encounters wasn't even that good, it had a lot of issues and the acting wasn't the greatest. This being the best American horror film, imo, in awhile speaks volumes itself.
You should check out my list. Grave Encounters was a fun movie but, like you said, it's hard to call it good. Also Grave Encounters is Canadian lol. As far as American movies go, check out Mike Flanagan's movies (Absentia, Oculus, Somnia coming out next year) and Benson+Morehead (Resolution, VHS Viral, Spring coming out next year and has a pretty good trailer). http://testyourmight.com/threads/when-will-studios-stop-making-terrible-horror-movies.46469/page-2#post-1506892

Also if you like found footage stuff like that you should watch Europa Report, Home Movie, Trollhunter (not rly scary but surprisingly good), and Apartment 143 (kind of dumb but still fun). Atrocious is pretty intense too but there's not enough of a story.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
I thought Insidious was pretty good but pt 2 actually made me think less of the first movie lol. I blame @GuamoKun for telling me it's legit

The rewind scene is literally one of my favorite scenes of any movie. He's just like naw fuck that this isn't the movie you want it to be. But the movie isn't even meant to be a horror movie, it's a critique of them, to tease what you want to happen and throw it all away.

You should check out my list. Grave Encounters was a fun movie but, like you said, it's hard to call it good. Also Grave Encounters is Canadian lol. As far as American movies go, check out Mike Flanagan's movies (Absentia, Oculus, Somnia coming out next year) and Benson+Morehead (Resolution, VHS Viral, Spring coming out next year and has a pretty good trailer). http://testyourmight.com/threads/when-will-studios-stop-making-terrible-horror-movies.46469/page-2#post-1506892

Also if you like found footage stuff like that you should watch Europa Report, Home Movie, Trollhunter (not rly scary but surprisingly good), and Apartment 143 (kind of dumb but still fun). Atrocious is pretty intense too but there's not enough of a story.
Well I just watched oculus... that was pretty decent lol

Pacific Rim is comparable to Transformers except you switch the bad Robots to Monsters.
Del Toro made Pacific Rim to be a love letter to various kaiju films like Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman, as well as Mecha gnera anime like Gundam and Robotech.

So Shalon is right, it fits in with Godzilla and Clover as much as it does Voltron.

Godzilla movies never really had a horror atmosphere,
Do not be fooled by the sequels.

The 1954 film is very much a horror film as it deals with the themes of nuclear war.

t was about taking the monster(s) down more than anything, comparable to an Independence Day or Battle: Los Angeles.

Man looses in most of the films and it's just down to Godzilla vs another monster. It's like a volcano vs a tornado. Nothing we can do but hope the worst one losses so our losses our cut.:DOGE