What's new

When to use 221 or f434

Are these combo starters interchangeable depending on how close you are to the corner? Or is 221 the better combo starter or vice versa?

I also was wondering if anybody knew Shangs best punishers when somebody throws out an unsafe canned combo against your blockstun.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Are these combo starters interchangeable depending on how close you are to the corner? Or is 221 the better combo starter or vice versa?

I also was wondering if anybody knew Shangs best punishers when somebody throws out an unsafe canned combo against your blockstun.
F+434 is his best poke Imo, and is faster out of the two, but 221 does more damage in the corner. (221, 12 up skull)

Shang's best punish I believe is F+434 medium ground skull, far ground skull, ex ground skull, close ground skull, 1~soul steal

Luxus Nights

Beyond Good & Evil
I use 221 after I land a jump in punch or close up skull.

F434 is his fastest and great for punish moves that have small windows.

B1214 is also pretty fast and his best block string with a soul steal at the end to build up a lot of meter.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Here is a real answer with reasoning and proof

use f434 when you knock an opponent down or when they are ducking...f4 hits a crouch blocking opponent where 221 only hits a crouch blocking opponent on the second hit. this makes 221 very easy to poke out of.

pretty much after jump in punch use 221...almost all other times use f434 if your close enough.

Also 221 moves you forward slightly where f434 keeps you in the same place. so if you are out of range, DONT use f434.

Here is a real answer with reasoning and proof

use f434 when you knock an opponent down or when they are ducking...f4 hits a crouch blocking opponent where 221 only hits a crouch blocking opponent on the second hit. this makes 221 very easy to poke out of.

pretty much after jump in punch use 221...almost all other times use f434 if your close enough.

Also 221 moves you forward slightly where f434 keeps you in the same place. so if you are out of range, DONT use f434.
Where is the reasoning and proof to use 221 instead of f434 after a jump in punch instead of mixing it up between the two which seems like a better option to me. But maybe Im wrong so if so someone let me know the reason.

Where is the reasoning and proof to use 221 instead of f434 after a jump in punch instead of mixing it up between the two which seems like a better option to me. But maybe Im wrong so if so someone let me know the reason.
What he is saying is that when you move in against an opponent you should in most cases use f434 because it will connect on the first hit as long as the opponent is blocking regardless of stand or crouch. A jump in will force the opponent to stand block thus you can use either combo with the same level of risk.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Personally, whenever I'm playing online 221 always seems to drop the 1 or the close ground fireball doesnt come out and screws my combo. Could be due to lag or me pressing it too fast.

Also, if you're going to jump in punch, then I'd much rather do F+3, 4. People dont expect a low hit into ground skulls juggle.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Personally, whenever I'm playing online
This is the problem. Online netcode is so ass, it's hard to play tourney style.

However, yes, sometimes when I do 221 at the wrong distance, skull doesn't come out the right way (comes out behind them)