What's new

Question When to DK When not to DK

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Some specials can be punished by a full combo on block using the divekick.

If you cross them up and they get the idea to try to anti-air you with a d1, your divekick will discourage that, but against armored specials it's not a good idea. Whiffed pokes are also best punished by a divekick, but you need to know your spacing with this.

If you jump forward and they back up out of range, DON'T throw out a divekick to make up for it, or you're eating a whiff punish if the player is smart.

If you manage to jump a projectile, like say Kabal's Blade Saw (not his Gas Blasts, though), you could then do the divekick to quickly touch back down on the ground and get a bit of meter.

Lastly, don't bother enhancing the divekick, it's a meaningless idea. Sure it becomes a three-hit move with the third hit serving as an overhead, but it's not necessary.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I usually use it anytime i make them whiff a move or if i think they will poke. Most pokes get absolutely murdered by DK so if you notice a poke pattern then its pretty much a green light.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Establish the divekick/jump in punch mixup early and test your opponents reactions, once you get them holding block when you jump at them you can get some free pressure with jip~b21 on hit you complete the combo, on block you go into b21 MS, and from this range you have a solid 50/50 with MS b4 and the MS overhead grab. She aint all about that d4xMS

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Some specials can be punished by a full combo on block using the divekick.

If you cross them up and they get the idea to try to anti-air you with a d1, your divekick will discourage that, but against armored specials it's not a good idea. Whiffed pokes are also best punished by a divekick, but you need to know your spacing with this.

If you jump forward and they back up out of range, DON'T throw out a divekick to make up for it, or you're eating a whiff punish if the player is smart.

If you manage to jump a projectile, like say Kabal's Blade Saw (not his Gas Blasts, though), you could then do the divekick to quickly touch back down on the ground and get a bit of meter.

Lastly, don't bother enhancing the divekick, it's a meaningless idea. Sure it becomes a three-hit move with the third hit serving as an overhead, but it's not necessary.
when landing a JIP on block do u use 114 ms or 4ms or 21 ms ?
or 31 ms?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
or 31 ms?
You can use 1 1 4 or 3 1 4 off a jump-in punch for a blockstring that jails until you cancel into Military Stance, at which point they will have a chance to escape with a counter-poke, armored move, or maybe a jump, though usually the overhead tackle will stop the jump attempt. My advice would be to mix up her various strings into her cancels so that you make them nervous about trying to escape. Kinda like how you would with Rain's Super Kick cancels, if you need a comparison.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
or 31 ms?
I like using 114 since it is a 3 hit string and can be hit confirmed more easily. On block you still have your spacing right to have all her MS options open. I use B21 alot too just because if you somehow land a hit you can confirm it into B21F2 and add about 20% or so to your punish.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Like riu said itis very.player specific. if you notice a player poking in certain situations then go for it but there is also nothing wrong with random one to catch them off guard. Otherwise blake listed a lot of the main situations

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
or 31 ms?
B21

if it hits, do the full B21F2 NJP Kiss midscreen combo for HELLA DAMAGE

on block just do B21 xx MS. B21 does 2% chip for both hits vs 21 does 2% 1%, and 114 does 4% altogether too but MS F1 isn't guaranteed off of 114 like it is off of B21.

Ideally for the most chip, off a JIP you are guaranteed:

Jump Punch, B21 xx MS > MS F+1 xx Cartwheel for 1+2+2+2+1+2+1 aka 11% chip.

Pig Of The Hut

You can use 1 1 4 or 3 1 4 off a jump-in punch for a blockstring that jails until you cancel into Military Stance, at which point they will have a chance to escape with a counter-poke, armored move, or maybe a jump, though usually the overhead tackle will stop the jump attempt. My advice would be to mix up her various strings into her cancels so that you make them nervous about trying to escape. Kinda like how you would with Rain's Super Kick cancels, if you need a comparison.
whats the frame window between string to MS

does a certain string have less window from cancelling into MS?

Pig Of The Hut

B21

if it hits, do the full B21F2 NJP Kiss midscreen combo for HELLA DAMAGE

on block just do B21 xx MS. B21 does 2% chip for both hits vs 21 does 2% 1%, and 114 does 4% altogether too but MS F1 isn't guaranteed off of 114 like it is off of B21.

Ideally for the most chip, off a JIP you are guaranteed:

Jump Punch, B21 xx MS > MS F+1 xx Cartwheel for 1+2+2+2+1+2+1 aka 11% chip.
Ahh there we go

So ms stance window is uninterruptable off of b21 but not 114 ms?

this is what i was looking for in terms of this question

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
whats the frame window between string to MS

does a certain string have less window from cancelling into MS?
I think you can review Sonya's frame data thread by Somberness to learn the specifics. If it helps, the f1 from her Military Stance is 15 frames and her overhead tackle is 12, and the cancel advantage on some of Sonya's pokes and strings is either neutral or negative.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
114 MS B4 is always gauranteed though, thats why I've always said to use it if you land 114 on block.
Overheads are always gauranteed.

B21 is the best bet though

Pig Of The Hut

Pig Of The Hut

I think you can armor out of any MS followup from 114 x MS, and 114 xx MS F1 you can jump out or interrupt in some other way

you can't interrupt anything from b21 xx MS
thats really good to know

<3

my weakness right now w her are:

Improper DK use
Maximize damage is needed
and....just overall MU exp but its a time process
#1 goal by friday STOP DOING 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 after CW - this is an instinctive problem

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
thats really good to know

<3

my weakness right now w her are:

Improper DK use
Maximize damage is needed
and....just overall MU exp but its a time process
#1 goal by friday STOP DOING 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 after CW - this is an instinctive problem
Ya, off naked cartwheel I always do B21F2 with a combo leading to MS...I totally hear you though because it is my first instinct too and I will do it sometimes and be like... F F F F F F as I am hammering out 1's into 112 MS