What's new

When is the first time you ever played any mk game , what was it?

The first one I played was Mortal Komabt on snes My friend fat Brandon had a trampoline I was 8 I think 1992 . I used to go to his house for the trampoline but one day he told me he got this new game I loved NES so I was like hell yeah and that's when I played MK the first time scorpion was my main guy because he was the easiest with his spear. My cousin rented MK2 as soon as it came out and brought it to my house on weekends wth his snes he kicked my ass nonstop he looked in gamepro for all the moves I didn't know any I still played for hours learning things. The first time I saw pros was when I was at the mall in palm desert they had an arcade and MK3 came out where Killer instinct used to be on a big ass 52 inch screen but it was an arcade. Those dudes knew all the combos and fatalities and would play forever fighting anybody nd kicking their asses and doing fatalities I loved it. I like the old mk through mk trilogy best the new games are ok but kind of gay I liked the one with shujinko though it was long and cool . mk shaolin monks too. MK2 is my favorite though.

X820

Noob
The first MK I played was MK1 in the year it was released in the arcades, I remember seing it for the first time and thinking, not another Pit Fighter!? LOL

Took me actually a few months to stop playing street fighter II and pop some money in the MK cabinet :)

Pikachu

I Pikachu while you shower.
UMK3 at a place called Spider-Man it was a videogame/comicbook store. I was 13 or so I think. And MKT on PSX. In the same time period. Im sure I played it on PSX first and then saw the arcade game and recognized the game.

I played MK1 at a liquor store back in the days. Bought some drinks and snacks, popped some quarters in the machine and I remember picking scorpion first. Since then, I became a hardcore fan.

NoDoubt

nasty
I actually started playing Mortal Kombat in 1994...the 1st game, at age 4. My uncle, who was...and still is the biggest gamer in our whole family used to play video games all day, everyday and lived with us for a few years, so I grew right into it.

Whats funny is I never understood at first why so many guys online who play the old games are at least in their 20s...mostly late 20s and 30s. I was like...wtf, how come no one my age plays? But of course parents didnt really let kids play MK at my age...let alone toddlers lmao. Im really lucky to have had a crazy metal-headed, pitbull-raising father who owned all the MK games back in the 90s : PP

hell i dont remember when exactly , but i do know it was Mk1 at Pizza hut in petersburg, IL lol first chose scorpion because of the white eyes,

and i have a Tips and Tricks mag from like 97 i think? that was all about Mortal Kombat and nothing else had history and promo pics, along with every move, Finisher, for every character for MK1-MK2-MK3 ill try to get some pics up sometime and let you guys check that shit out

Iko

Noob
The first time I played was MK shortly after it was released. Most of the people were playing SFII and some playing that atrocity Atari put out Pit Fighter.

Anyway, I went to the local mall and the line for SFII was huge, but there was also a big crowd around a new game. I put my 2 tokens on the screen of SFII for next, but seeing that there were 4 people in front of me I decided to check this new game out.

I walked over about the time some guy was pulling the head off Johnny Cage, still remember that. I thought, yep, this is bad azz. It looked more realistic than SFII and just the fact that you could pull someone's head off after you beat them. Played it that day and never looked back. I continued on into MKII followed by a brief flirtation with SF2 CE and KI, and finished my "arcade days" with the MK3 boys.

Good times, good times.

I was like 11 or 12 and hit up Jet's Arcade in Santa Fe. I didn't really have any particular games that I would go to play, I'd just roam around and see what caught my eye. Saw a big crowd around a Mortal Kombat I cab and figured I'd check it out. Watched for like an hour and was mesmerized. I've played Mortal Kombat ever since. I did have a 4-5 year period in college where I didn't have access to any MK action though. Mame and the PSN MKII have pretty much made my wildest dreams complete. MK anywhere, anytime! :D

ded

Elder God
ninjalord said:
ii know some of you guys love mk4, but the reason i hate this game is due to the fact that, if mk4 had been the first mk game released, the series would'nt even exist right now; it would be war gods, mace, or primal rage. mk4 is almost a parody of mk. the design's are ridiculous and the levels are laughable. i mean, KI 1 looks better than mk4. hell, mk1 looks better than mk4 imo.

No matter some negative opinions for the game during Arcade Road Tour, there is not even one game magazine or website which said something bad about the graphics. Home versions of MK4 are crap, the arcade version of MK4 is smoother and looked way better than almost every 3D game back then:

oh shit the first time i touched MK was on a Game Gear system << i think i was about 6 or 7 but at the time i didn't have a clue to what i was doing being that the Game gear had 2 buttons. It was always talked about alot but it never made sense until i started getting into MK2..now i've moved onto UMK3 and plan to get good enough before SB :/

F3ARxChaRLie

Firefighter
First time when I was probably around 7 or 8? I believe it was the first MK for Super Nintendo. Then my older cousin got MK II when it got released and after that I've played just about every one since.

ded

Elder God
ninjalord said:
i played the first ver with the question marks, and i thought it looked ok at the time, but it didn't play like mk and it looked stupid, from a design standpoint. seriously, shinnok? lol. he looks like a rejected character from eternal champions.
this is your opinion but i think shinnok idea was good. if the idea for such character is that bad, why they bring that idea again in MKD for Shujinko....

ninjalord said:
and the thing about mk4 is that it looks dated now; that's the natural progression of 3d works of art. but by contrast, mk2 and umk3 still look good. i guess, when you look at mk2, you can see the muscle tone and sweat due to the digitization of human actors, and then you go from that to mk4... that's not an upgrade. it's like a real hot woman vs. a hot woman who's had a lot of plastic surgery. one is naturally hot(mk2-umk3) and the other is hot(3d mk+mk4) but something is always slightly off. lol.
mk4 is out of date - true, but right now there are a lot more ppl playing mk4 and mkg on emulators than mkda/mkd and mka....

and finally:

ninjalord said:
i knew mk4 was garbage, when my friends--who had all ditched mk2 and 3 in order to play tekken and KI-- started playing mk4. these were people who sucked at the 2d mk2 and mk3 and umk3, but who loved all the cheap, stupid play of KI and tekken, and now they were into mk4. why? because mk4 is cheap and lame. it's nothing like mk1-umk3.
mk4 arcade is the most balanced mk game - fact.

First saw MK1 on some cheat video i think it was that my brothers mate brought round. It showed some of the fatalities from MK1 like subs spine rip and kanos heart grab. My brother also helped convince me to get MK2 for my birthday for the snes, first MK i owned :) Maybe thats why I perfer MK2 over UMK3.

Tenji

Noob
It was back in 1995, my older brothers bought MKII for the Sega Genesis, and from that day I was hooked on Mortal Kombat, I believe next game I played after that was MK:Trilogy for PSX. So Mortal Kombat II is my favorite MK of all time then comes Trilogy. At one point I owned A playable version of every Mortal Kombat up Mk vs DCU.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Mortal Kombat 1 is the first MK game I ever played. It was at an arcade in Lake Grove, Long Island called "Spaceplex" Actually it was one of the best mega arcades I can remember. When I was a kid I used to go there everyday to play MK 1 and 2.

I remember just walking into the malls arcade and there it was. MK1. Popped in some tokens and a guy in his mid 30's whooped my ass with Liu Kang. I was instantly hooked. Got it for Genesis. Then I remember going during the release of MK2. It was like a small riot around the MK2 machine. Some guy had like 80 wins in a row with Cage. I still remember seeing my first MK2 fatality. Cages torso rip.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I started playing MK at age five. I don't remember much at that point except my brothers were playing it all the time and would let me sneak and play every so often. There was an arcade called Aladdin's Castle that opened around then and became a staple in my adolescence. The funny thing is, I grew up in a very strict family so I took every chance I got to go to the arcade, even with my grandpa watching me get knocked into the spikes. lol

I have a lot more memories from MK2, where my family actually bought it for me on sale in Rapid City when I think I was seven years old back then. Played that damn game every day on SNES for years. Then UMK3 hit the arcade and it was a phenomenon, even in my small town. There were other kids my age and even guys in their 20's-30's playing. A lot of times I would see a huddle of guys watching someone get their ass kicked by Shao Kahn over and over.

It feels like MK4 came out yesterday too because I went down and played it the day it came out in arcades.