What's new

When Does Negative Edge actually Do You Good?

Do you use Negative Edge as part of your gameplan?

• Yes

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Depends on what character I'm using (state which)

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
For instance with reptile I can press d+b 4(d4 poke comes out) then quickly press b3 and it will link a forceball since the d+b4 contained one b input I need only press b3 to get the forceball to cone out. Traditionally I'd have to press d4 bb3 to accomplish the same thing, which is really hard to do quickly.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Isn't Negative Edge when the game takes letting go of the button as an input for special moves. Like I want to do Sindel's low fireball instead of down forward 3. I can hold 3, do the down forward and then just let go of the 3. The fire ball will come out but, if I don't do the down forward and just let go of the 3 no kick will come out.

What you explained just sounds like buffering your moves?

MK_Al

Dojo Trainee
Don't mean to sound dumb but wtf is negative edge?
Negative edge is the fact that the game can interprete your button press as if you did the input twice: Pressing the button is the first input, releasing it counts as a second input.
So what does that mean? Lets say you want to do Ermacs JIK into teleport punch. So the correct input would be
JIK, quatercircle 4
But, due to the negative edge, you can just enter
JIK (with 4 used for kick), quatercircle (when JIK hits)
The game will have a second 4 stored for releasing the button and will add it at the end of your string, so the telepunch comes out.
You can also try this: Play lets say Ermac, input and hold 4. After some seconds, do quatercircle and quickly release 4. The telepunch will come out.

Unfortunately it messes up some strings. Lets say you have two specials, one beeing quatercircle 1, the other beeing quatercirlce 2. Then, if you cancle a string ending with 2 into your quatercircle 1 special, the quatercircle 2 special will come out as the game remembers the 2 of your string.

So, to avoid issues, there are basically three ways:
- Don't mash the input to fast
- Delay your special to the least possible moment
- Keep pressing the button, you don't want to be remembered for your special. Try Ermacs JIK telepunch while not releasing the 4 after JIK; the special won't come out

I personally think its great, as some strings would be nearly impossible without negative edge. Try the above mentioned telepunch with JIK (with 3 as kick) and quatercircle 4. I will fail 80% (yes I am that bad :)). So I'd rather learn how to avoid negative edge issues than not having these cool combos

PS: Negative edge and buffering are different things

It did a lot of good to me, I have no idea on how many times my enemy did a wrong move due the negative edge, or the giantic command buffering this game has.

edit: I forgot my favorite: the command's shortcuts.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
It gets pretty bad with Sektor's B3,4 for me, I can hit-confirm the string, but because I proceed to input D,F immediately after the 4, I end up with B3 xx TU, and since B3 isn't cancelable into specials, I end up getting blocked and pwned. If I decide I buffer the D,F then usually I won't get the TU on the end of it.

I can only suggest:
1) make B3 xx TU comboable to suffice
2) change the input to B3,3 (already know this isn't gonna happen after the CSZ debacle)

Overall I respect the idea of negative edge, but it's ultimately more trouble than what it's worth.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Playing Reptile it helps a lot with D4 x FFB , D4 x Acid Hand.

But playing Raiden when trying to do D1 x VB and comes out as D1 x Lightning it hurts.

It gets pretty bad with Sektor's B3,4 for me, I can hit-confirm the string, but because I proceed to input D,F immediately after the 4, I end up with B3 xx TU, and since B3 isn't cancelable into specials, I end up getting blocked and pwned. If I decide I buffer the D,F then usually I won't get the TU on the end of it.

I can only suggest:
1) make B3 xx TU comboable to suffice
2) change the input to B3,3 (already know this isn't gonna happen after the CSZ debacle)

Overall I respect the idea of negative edge, but it's ultimately more trouble than what it's worth.
The trick to that combo is the split second when you see the 4 come out, that's when you can do the df4. It's a specific timing, but once repeated enough is instinctual. There's a lot of combos in the game have some very specific timing on when to press buttons depending on the position or animation of you or your opponent, if only because of negative edge. Or you can do Dancock's trick in the post above.

You can actually make negative edge work for you with this combo by doing b34 df.

Sektor also has b2 f2, which does his b2 normal and the flame thrower.

Sektor also has 13 db, which is a a two hit combo followed by air missile.