What's new

When did you say "I'm ready"?

Bes110

Noob
Hello all! I thought I would make this thread to ask a simple question for myself, but also as a place to just simply hear others stories.

I am new to the scene. Injustice 2 is my first serious fighting game. Recently I've been debating about travelling around and trying to participate in tournaments.

It is a tricky balance though. Financial ability, skill at the game, and fun are just some determining factors in traveling to play a video game.

Basically what I want to know is when did you guys decide to take your competitiveness to the next level? Was there a specific time or occurrence which made you finally say "I'm ready"? How long before you got to this point? Did you dive in too soon? Too late?

I appreciate any replies!

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Well, it took me about a year or so before I actually went to a tournament. I went with friends to an Anime convention, and I saw ahead of time that there would be a tournament there. I figured pretty quick that'd be my main focus of the con, and I was right about that. I made 7th, and had a whole lot of fun. Went back the next year and made 4th in MKXL.

Now I had a pretty big barrier to traveling for tournaments then because I was a fully PC player and typically played on keyboard. While I've since bought a converter, I didn't have one then, so I had to show up and struggle to get half my normal execution back.

For Injustice 2, I reached out to my local fighting game scene, since they finally had tournaments for a game I play. So far, I've made a lot of friends, won every i2 tournament I've entered, and done my best to level up the scene. I even taught a Black Adam how to Black Adam. It was painful, but I did it. If your local scene has anyone like me, which I'm betting they do, you can actually find people to give you real advice on what to do and how to improve. Being there in person, in a tournament, raises the stakes. You start caring more about winning and losing and start to look at yourself more critically, or at least I know I do.

Last edited:

methademic

UPR Methademic
Even if you are 100% sure you are going to go 0-2 in pools, it is worth it to try to make at least one close major a year. It's the most fun you will have with this game and you will be able to learn more there than grinding it out online.

AeWhole

Noob
Being a competitive player also means you need to be more social too. Don't let anxiety hold you back from talking about what you did wrong when you lost. Don't be annoying but, you know compliment them on what you found challenging about playing against them. They will tell you their secrets.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
A long time ago, I used to play a lot of FGs in casual level. Didnt have anyone to teach me the fundamentals and such. A year ago, it WAS the time when I wanted to try Injustice for the very first time in the tourney here in Thesaaloniki. My buddies along with @Nivek got my flame lit, so much that I decided to try the competitive level. I ended 3rd in Injustice local tourney. After a year of training, learning and practicing with a lot of people, including Ketchup, OmegaK, Nivek, ShArp, and the rest, I said that I was almost ready to face the challenges, and here I said that Im ready.

The principle of saying that you re ready is the same in any martial art. Every fighting stuff needs a lot of training before you face your opponents.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
Basically when I first started playing mk9. I'm very competitive and when I get into something, I try to learn it quickly. Nowadays I don't really have the drive to get better and the only game I take seriously in Guilty Gear.