What's new

Question What's your Smoke Style?

What is your play style?

• Total voters

Beast3

Theres No Escape
A majority of the Smoke players I see all play him very similarly and I haven't seen too many (there are a few out there) unique or uncommon play styles with him. My question is, how do you prefer to play him? Are you more rushdown/in-your-face or are you more of a "bait a mistake and punish" type style?
Also, are there any certain tactics you do to mess with your opponent?

I like to think my Smoke play style is uncommon. I play a VERY keep away oriented style. I use his smoke away/towards special to build meter and stay away from my opponent. I sometimes "taunt" them with a smoke towards followed immediately by a smoke away (usually causes them to whiff a string...*BAM* Smoke Bomb)
Usually this style gets them to
A) chase me and rush their inputs, causing a mistake for me to punish
B) throw a projectile that I can shake
or
C) teleport, that I can block and punish

Its worked for me so far pretty well, and I'm just curious to see what general tactics other Smoke players use.

I honestly see only one real way to play Smoke and that is MU driven. You can be a rush down player but Smoke just can't beat rush down characters that are much faster than he is. You kind of have to counter zone the zoners. I think that is why you see so many people playing Smoke similar. The offense is started by SB, JIK/JIP, poking and B2, nothing else is really going to cut it over the long haul.

Beast3

Theres No Escape
Back on Topic.

Yes, it is match up driven, so let me ask this. For the general matchup vs a rushdown character what style do you play? And for the general matchup vs a zoner how do you play?

It's not "Opponent type" dependent

It changes anywhere from slightly to drastically from cage to sonya to lao to kabal to jax in no particular order. Smoke gets fucked up by all of them. Maybe not jax, but it feels pretty hard for me at the moment.

In most cases smoke wants to get a life lead and lame you out, but it's hard because all of his mobility specials are punishable/countered by a well-timed read.

SZSR

Noob
I just wait for my opponent to mess up, but if they're not a rush-down heavy character, i'll be in their face most of the time.

So... Rush-down-keep away?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
A majority of the Smoke players I see all play him very similarly and I haven't seen too many (there are a few out there) unique or uncommon play styles with him. My question is, how do you prefer to play him? Are you more rushdown/in-your-face or are you more of a "bait a mistake and punish" type style?

I like to think my Smoke play style is uncommon. I play a VERY keep away oriented style. I use his smoke away/towards special to build meter and stay away from my opponent. I sometimes "taunt" them with a smoke towards followed immediately by a smoke away (usually causes them to whiff a string...*BAM* Smoke Bomb)
or

Its worked for me so far pretty well, and I'm just curious to see what general tactics other Smoke players use.
Isn't that how most smokes play, right there?

I've only played a couple that try to stay in your face, the rest all runaway and throw smoke bombs. lol

shad0ki11er 27

Time will only tell the Greats
smoke is a really good character but da way i play with smoke is rushin if u r trying to zone but other then that i will play with a rush down and passive and watch ever move you make and find a way around them with smokes specials

GGA Wafflez

the kid

or

yes

shad0ki11er 27

Time will only tell the Greats
with me i dont use the teleport freely it is only at the end of my combos and in mid air so you really cant get a punish for it unleast you breaker and then i hit you with my 50% combo with my smoke