What's new

Whats the idea behind jumping?

Gilbagz

Joker here~
I realise jumping helps you pressure cuz of the +frames you get on a blocked jip
but when should you jump?
after playing a lot
i've noticed my problem is jumping
all i ever get caught with is anti air uppercuts and sharp jump kicks
when should a you jump?
is it just projectile reads and crossing over after pressure?
seriosly im getting blown up by anyone with fast uppercuts
noob, kabal

on a side note
i corner pressure with sub zero with 212 clone
i jump in cuz the clone should protect me cuz if they move they will get frozen
but somehow i get uppercutted
should this be happening?
or is it a glitch?

leek

Noob
...it's not a glitch. he's uppercutting you because you jumped in and punishing you for it.. don't jump after a clone anyways.. just walk up and pressure.

you can pressure with 2,2 when the clone is up and hit them with 212 and combo, or if they are blocking ice clone.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
but hes uppercutting through the clone
shouldnt he get frozen
sorry if i sound like an idiot
im jst confused
thanx for the help anyway

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I generally don't jump unless I've created a safe-jump scenario or the character I'm facing has shit anti-air.

Jumping is just a risk/reward thing. You risk eating an uppercut/anti-air, you are rewarded with pressure/throw attempt. Sometimes a combo depending on your opponent's situational awareness.

but hes uppercutting through the clone
shouldnt he get frozen
sorry if i sound like an idiot
im jst confused
thanx for the help anyway
Jumping is circumstantial and character specific.
Jump over anticipated offense, whether it be projectiles, pokes, pressure strings.

Well...wait. Jumping has several purposes (these are just examples)
Baiting - Ermac jumps at opponent knowing they have a tendency to uppercut, but teleports and pressures
Positioning - Out of the corner on opening, smoke telewhiffs to continue pressure
Offense - staggered strings or guaranteed jips (hit confirmed 3,1,2 with Ermac, en skull with Quan, fan cutter with kitana, bla bla)
Defense - Kabal dash cancel pressure (people jump out on cancel (risky). Avoiding b2 resets, ground bombs, and so on
Air-to-air - you know opponent is going to, you win, and execute combo
Instant Airs - Kabal Gas blast, Mileena Sai, Kangs Ball, Kitanas fan, bla bla bla

Fighting Kitana, Kabal, Scorpion...there's a lot of characters you don't want to jump with.

Anyhow, jumping is just a tool. There's no all-in-one formula. Depends on your match up and you opponents play style.

Uppercuts have different ranges. 2,1,2 has a push back necessary for you to produce ice clone (since you can't do point blank). Uppercut doesn't make contact with clone, but it does hit you and you know subbys clone vanishes the moment he is hit. No glitch. Hope this long-winded post helps in some way.

King

Sig Maker
They aren't getting hit with the clone because the clone's hitboxes are in its torso area. When you do 212 clone with Sub, the clone extends its arms out towards the opponent to make it look like if they move an inch they'll get frozen. In reality, they need to hit the clone in the torso in order to get frozen. The uppercut doesn't have enough reach to hit the clone's torso and that's why they can uppercut you without getting frozen. In other words, if the opponent doesn't touch the midsection of the clone, they won't get frozen; they can poke away at its arms and legs all they want.

As for the idea behind jumpins, it really depends on the character you play and the character you are facing. Embarq85 has given you a few good reasons as to why jumpins are useful. If you know your opponent is about to jump in, you can NJP and it'll bounce them on the ground for a combo of your choosing. I assume you main Sub so off of a NJP, you can land B1,2 212 slide or dash 1 dash B1,2 212 slide for 2% extra damage. But for Sub, its most important to be able to counter jumpins with clones on reaction rather than with NJPs or uppercuts.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
thanks for the help guys
so i guess my problem is im just jumping too much
i should only jump when i read something so i can get some pressure going
i cant jst keep jumping into uppercuts
as for the ice clone thing
far out thats sorta gay
i the uppercut has a crazy hit box
i've been hit from sweep distance before
but yet he can easily dodge the ice clone and smack me wen im write above the ice clone
sorry, just ranting

but thanks for the help anyway

SuperMnC

Noob
I think as a Sub Zero player, you shouldnt be jumping a whole lot anyways. You should almost make your opponent jump at you. When you can some what predict when they're going to jump, you can easily throw out an ice clone and get some free damage. Something you could try, is if you jump straight at the opponent and its not entirely safe, throw out an ice clone mid air. That way you keep the fight grounded, and try to work your opponent into a position that best suits you. I'm not a sub player at all so if i'm wrong someone please correct me. =)

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Jumping is very very storng is this game which is why characters that have great anti airs and can control air space well often excel. If your at least somewhat smart when your jump then the risk reward is very high. The jip is one of the best tools in the game even if its blocked.

Honestly, you can't exactly jump willy nilly but you don't have to just wait for a safe jump opportunity theres many more situations where you can. Still the frequency of how often you do it will depend on your character and who your facing.

Sub zero shouldn't really be jumping loads. You want them to jump at you into clone, anti air with 22 freeze etc.

Sort of along the same line: When myself and my opponent jump at the same time, what determines who usually wins i.e. who lands the kick?

I seem to be on the wrong end of this 90% of the time.

Thanks

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Jumping is very very storng is this game which is why characters that have great anti airs and can control air space well often excel. If your at least somewhat smart when your jump then the risk reward is very high. The jip is one of the best tools in the game even if its blocked.

Honestly, you can't exactly jump willy nilly but you don't have to just wait for a safe jump opportunity theres many more situations where you can. Still the frequency of how often you do it will depend on your character and who your facing.
I have to agree with that, coming from an SF background, jumping usually means death. But I've noticed my opponent is a little too "jump happy". Jumps about a thousand times per match, but I can't seem to anti-air it consistently. If I mistime my anti-air, I eat a combo. I've never really full understood anti-airing in this game.

hardwire

Noob
I have to agree with that, coming from an SF background, jumping usually means death. But I've noticed my opponent is a little too "jump happy". Jumps about a thousand times per match, but I can't seem to anti-air it consistently. If I mistime my anti-air, I eat a combo. I've never really full understood anti-airing in this game.
and that is the point of jumping

it sets up and aa in this game is not the ezest to do

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Anti-airing is worlds easier offline.

When I first got this game I was actually taken aback by what will hit somebody out of the air.

Migaluch

Double Dasher
I'm not sure about this, but it seems that Jump in kicks beat jump in punches, but jump in punches have the ability to coninue a string after, usually into a combo. One thing I do if the opponent is jumping a lot and I can predict it is to simply neutral jump punch them mid air, which will give you a free combo. If used right it can be really helpful.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
I've actually tried Neutral Jump Punch, but I always lose out to the jump in punch.

Is there a timing for it? Maybe I do it too late? And if I neutral jump punch too early, will the active frames be long enough to cover me, so I can sucessfully nail them 100% of the time. This is just nailing the jump in punch.

Thanks

Migaluch

Double Dasher
You kinda just have to act first, try to think like you're competing with someone to press a button first, cause that's what you are doing. Whenever you jump EXPECT that they are going to jump and be prepared. If you dont punch first, your opponent will. Does this help?