What's new

What's the best way to use kitana online?

lobo

woof.
meh, just do f21, b2AF, 4fan, 4cutter online for easy, mashable 41%

save the good combos for offline where you don't have to rage at dropping them because of lag. this will also make adapting on and offline easier because you won't fuddle the timing on your big combos if you never use them online.

CompletelyJaded

Whiffmaker
Somebody else asked this before I did, wey!!

I've been considering this and finally decided to drop Jade for Kitana as Jade is completely useless online and I have no offline community of MK players within 1000 miles of me so it's the obvious choice.
At first I was wondering if Kitana is any viable online but it seems like she very well is.
Thank you guys <3

Going to wait and see if Krayzie on his next tournament comes up with anything that on the side helps with online Jading and if that doesn't work out, I'll be dropping Jade for good.
The inconsistence of this game irritates me to no end.

meh, just do f21, b2AF, 4fan, 4cutter online for easy, mashable 41%

save the good combos for offline where you don't have to rage at dropping them because of lag. this will also make adapting on and offline easier because you won't fuddle the timing on your big combos if you never use them online.
I very, very rarely have trouble online with f21, njp, 4~fan >> 2~lift (yes I sub 2 online), b2AF, fan, whatever~cutter. I honestly had more trouble doing f21, b2AF online, lol.

jtom

Noob
referring to the f21, njp > 4fan etc combos...

not sure what to say about the njp part of the combo, i dont piano the punches and I would say im 99% with it, if not 100%. just go into practice mode with it and you should have it down in an hour or 2.

but as far as the 4fan part... i can say that when i first started playing I used 3fan instead. it makes the timing of it almost fail-proof lenient and it only does like 1-2% less dmg (?). I still use 3fan sometimes today in really laggy matches

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I have no idea how anyone uses the njp combos as an online bnb. I can't get it consistently with someone 3 hours away. I can't get f+2,1, b+2 to work either and that's hella easy offline.

I do f+2,1, jump kick~air fan, fan, 2~fan, 2~Cutter for 39%. This is my tournament bnb too.

CompletelyJaded

Whiffmaker
Every quarter circle has half a second delay online. I learned this with Jade's b1*db2 combo starter. While in practice mode you hit them in quick succession, online you input the first part, f21b2 in this instance, and then wait half a breath of time, just as long as you blurt out "fish" (I'm honestly doing that in my head for timing, lol) and then do the df1 and it will always come out.

In my meager experience b2df1 is the best way to go... because it looks very pretty!
I'm still trying to get the timing on that 4 though. Quite hard because online it's perfectly different from offline...
Yay netcode or what. >_>

I have no idea how anyone uses the njp combos as an online bnb. I can't get it consistently with someone 3 hours away. I can't get f+2,1, b+2 to work either and that's hella easy offline.

I do f+2,1, jump kick~air fan, fan, 2~fan, 2~Cutter for 39%. This is my tournament bnb too.
Unless shit is really laggy, I can get the f21 njp bnb 100% online. The only thing I ever have issues linking online is the 2~lift (can't do 4~lift online personally, not a chance). It's probably because the majority of my play is online these days, so I'm just used to it.. just have to do the same timing regardless of lag.

I recommend learning the njp.. it's fool-proof once you get it, don't even have to plink the inputs. It also makes the 4~fan a lot easier to land, and does more damage. I used to do the b2~AF myself and I honestly think the njp is easier, lol

rdw

Be cool...
I'm doing the NJP BnB and having some issues ( online / offline )
Beeing new to fighting games and stuff I started maining subzero and I got pretty good with him .. all the mind games and etc etc etc
BUT... there comes the part that I dont have TOO much pratice since I'm not used to fighting games..
The setup that worked better for me ( OFFLINE still praticing before going online):

f+2, 1, npj, dash, 4~fan, 4~lift....

But I noticed that crazy dominican uses after the NJP : dash,3~fan, dash, 2~lift
Not only him, but most ppl that I've seen uses dash,2~lift and I just have MAJOR issues to pull it off...

Any hints on how to perform that move ? ( I'm a stick player )

jtom

Noob
kit's bnb's really just boil down to practice. ive done them so much now that i feel like i could do them with a blindfold and on a 56k modem

this may be an abstract idea rdw, but dont look at the combo as a whole. look at it as series of simple inputs. input1 > input2> etc.. the inputs should be quick and precise, dont mash anything. also remember you can buffer the dashes, once the dash animation starts, you can simply input 2lift (spacing wise, you dont need the full dash animation, but rather 1/4 if even that)

rdw

Be cool...
kit's bnb's really just boil down to practice. ive done them so much now that i feel like i could do them with a blindfold and on a 56k modem

this may be an abstract idea rdw, but dont look at the combo as a whole. look at it as series of simple inputs. input1 > input2> etc.. the inputs should be quick and precise, dont mash anything. also remember you can buffer the dashes, once the dash animation starts, you can simply input 2lift (spacing wise, you dont need the full dash animation, but rather 1/4 if even that)
Thanks ! I always took some looks into kitana and praticed air fans, yesterday I got to pratice the combos and now I feel much more confortable and can get it pretty much 85% of the time ( online )

When I get home I'll use the dash buffed method because I didnt knew about that ! thanks for the info

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I also use dash 2~lift. I believe 4~lift gives like 1% more damage, but I think 2 might be easier to hit. I personally just use it because whenever I do dash 4, f4 comes out (yet f2 never comes out when I do dash 2, it's odd, might be a mental thing). In the corner, since dashing isn't an issue, I always use 4 instead of 2.

As for Kitana combos, I've learned (since mk9 is my first FG i've gone deep into) that after practice, execution just becomes a matter of muscle memory. When I started playing Kitana, my bnb was like a 39 percenter that I dropped the majority of the time. But now 50% combos, instant air fans, and making use of ex fan is pretty much automatic for me.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
I'm doing the NJP BnB and having some issues ( online / offline )
Beeing new to fighting games and stuff I started maining subzero and I got pretty good with him .. all the mind games and etc etc etc
BUT... there comes the part that I dont have TOO much pratice since I'm not used to fighting games..
The setup that worked better for me ( OFFLINE still praticing before going online):

f+2, 1, npj, dash, 4~fan, 4~lift....

But I noticed that crazy dominican uses after the NJP : dash,3~fan, dash, 2~lift
Not only him, but most ppl that I've seen uses dash,2~lift and I just have MAJOR issues to pull it off...

Any hints on how to perform that move ? ( I'm a stick player )
CAn you try it with negative edge? By that I mean, dash in, then press and hold 2 , then when it connects, do b,b+ release 2. Also are you waiting for the 2 to hit? You can wait until the 2 hits and still get the lift out as I'm sure that you have enough time to do it. Just try to hit them earlier with the 2~fan lift and then you should be ok!! This is just my thoughts only though!

Man, I want to learn kitana just cause I know how devistating she is. I can't for the life of me do it though. Every bnb combo video is different, her combos scream, make up your own. I'm terrible at thinking in Fighting games on the fly. Maybe with practice but being an online only player i'm very limited. I've picked up most of the cast and can do things with alot of em. Kit however just eludes me. I can't do anything online with her.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
I also use dash 2~lift. I believe 4~lift gives like 1% more damage, but I think 2 might be easier to hit. I personally just use it because whenever I do dash 4, f4 comes out (yet f2 never comes out when I do dash 2, it's odd, might be a mental thing). In the corner, since dashing isn't an issue, I always use 4 instead of 2.

As for Kitana combos, I've learned (since mk9 is my first FG i've gone deep into) that after practice, execution just becomes a matter of muscle memory. When I started playing Kitana, my bnb was like a 39 percenter that I dropped the majority of the time. But now 50% combos, instant air fans, and making use of ex fan is pretty much automatic for me.
Bang on sir. The 2~fan lift is easier to hit than the 4~lift and the damage you sacrifice, you can get back in chip damage. Its worth mastering the easier versions / shorter versions of the combo first and then expanding onto the more difficult ones.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Man, I want to learn kitana just cause I know how devistating she is. I can't for the life of me do it though. Every bnb combo video is different, her combos scream, make up your own. I'm terrible at thinking in Fighting games on the fly. Maybe with practice but being an online only player i'm very limited. I've picked up most of the cast and can do things with alot of em. Kit however just eludes me. I can't do anything online with her.
Just practice bro. I picked Kit from the moment the game got released and haven't used anyone since....Which is something I should do... Had a look at Sonya and Mileena, but Kits the main one for me.

Just go into the Practice option and master her iAF and iSB.... Also just break her combos down into little chunks and get used to doing them, so that they are automatic and you wont even think about them. I've noticed online, to get the NJP out, I have to do it faster than what I would do offline, hence instantly.... Just work on your timings and break her combos down. Once you master the individual bits, you will be creating your own combos in no time. Don't try to run before you can walk!!!!!!

rdw

Be cool...
2-lift is way easier...

what I learned was:

NJP, dash, 4, fan, 4 lift...

If you dont get the 1st 4 on the highest position possible you will wiff the lift on the second 4 if you dont dash ( even easier if you do a 2 ).. if you get it TOO LOW you must break the combo into f2 cutter

the NJP dash, 3, dash, 2, lift is WAY EASIER since 3 will always pick the player on a higher position if you do it decently, with the range of 2 and the negative edge it becomes MUCH easier to make the combo.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
the NJP dash, 3, dash, 2, lift is WAY EASIER since 3 will always pick the player on a higher position if you do it decently, with the range of 2 and the negative edge it becomes MUCH easier to make the combo.
Well, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think 3 does as much damage as 4, and I know for a fact that using 4~fan you don't have to use a dash after njp. I always use njp, 4~fan, dash, 2~lift. I haven't had any problems whiffing the 4 or the 2 there, so I'm not sure why some people choose to use something easier.

rdw

Be cool...
Well, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think 3 does as much damage as 4, and I know for a fact that using 4~fan you don't have to use a dash after njp. I always use njp, 4~fan, dash, 2~lift. I haven't had any problems whiffing the 4 there, so I'm not sure why some people choose to use something else.
1% dmg diference, you will need to dash but you wont have to worry about missing lift because of the height

you can miss the whole combo for inputing too soon or too late the 1st 4, when you use 3 you wont have this problem...

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
1% dmg diference, you will need to dash but you wont have to worry about missing lift because of the height

you can miss the whole combo for inputing too soon or too late the 1st 4, when you use 3 you wont have this problem...
I'll have to try this out ;)

rdw

Be cool...
I'll have to try this out ;)
As I stated before my kitana pratice is only from yesterday lol.. but what I did notice is its not like the b1-2 ~ 212 juggles from subzero that you can catch in a high variation of heights and still get the combo, if you miss the height on the second hit+lift you will wiff the lift .. meaning that you will drop 14%+ of damage and if its a kabal or w/e you will be wakeup punished into a full combo...

And if you have some kind of delay/spike you might lose the first 4, and the whole combo...

jtom

Noob
i'll simplify things for you, here are 3 simple bnbs that you can build on.

if you hit f21:
f21, NJP, 4fan, >> 2lift >>b2 iaf, fan>> f2 cutter

if you hit f41:
f41 >> 2lift >>b2 iaf, fan>> f2 cutter

if you hit an aa iaf:
aa iaf, fan >> f2 cutter

for corner:
after any 'iaf, fan' you can follow with >> 333, cutter, d1.
after any f2 cutter you can follow with d1

once you get a good feel for these in match play, you will feel very comfortable doing her more 'advanced' or 'optimized' options

Phantom

Kitana Prime aka MK's Rated R Superstar
I hope this isn't another person thinking that you just pick Kitana, throw fans and win. Im tired of that shit.

It seems it isnt, but I'm not exactly sure that you wanna play for online (lag, I assume?) tactics only. You'll only hurt yourself against good players who can outplay online tactics.

With that being said, iAFs and d1->cutter are your current best friend. Keeps the pressure up for now (and I say this because you can duck cutter COMPLETELY and punish accordingly, but for some reason enough players aren't doing this) alongside the iAF, which is the best AA in the game. Secondly, cancelling a blocked f4,1 into cutter before it's 2nd hit helps to build insane meter, chip and pressure. Knowing matchups is important too, because I play a rushdown Kitana and you can't be completely reckless on offense against certain characters. Finally, don't be afraid to zone it out when necessary because you will need it. Just watch out against teleporters because they can catch Kitana from throwing iAfs from fullscreen before she touches the ground, if they anticipate when you'll throw them.

Just a few pointers. Nice to see players trying other characters. As you know there's different strategies for EACH character. Would be cool to see a completely beast mode Stryker or Sindel - you know, less represented characters.

Disclaimer lol* I just about exclusively play Kitana because of my insane character loyalty. Kitana > Everything
I can play others, but when I want to win (which is 99% of the time I'm playing) I will play Kit.

rdw

Be cool...
I hope this isn't another person thinking that you just pick Kitana, throw fans and win. Im tired of that shit.

It seems it isnt, but I'm not exactly sure that you wanna play for online (lag, I assume?) tactics only. You'll only hurt yourself against good players who can outplay online tactics.

With that being said, iAFs and d1->cutter are your current best friend. Keeps the pressure up for now (and I say this because you can duck cutter COMPLETELY and punish accordingly, but for some reason enough players aren't doing this) alongside the iAF, which is the best AA in the game. Secondly, cancelling a blocked f4,1 into cutter before it's 2nd hit helps to build insane meter, chip and pressure. Knowing matchups is important too, because I play a rushdown Kitana and you can't be completely reckless on offense against certain characters. Finally, don't be afraid to zone it out when necessary because you will need it. Just watch out against teleporters because they can catch Kitana from throwing iAfs from fullscreen before she touches the ground, if they anticipate when you'll throw them.

Just a few pointers. Nice to see players trying other characters. As you know there's different strategies for EACH character. Would be cool to see a completely beast mode Stryker or Sindel - you know, less represented characters.

Disclaimer lol* I just about exclusively play Kitana because of my insane character loyalty. Kitana > Everything
I can play others, but when I want to win (which is 99% of the time I'm playing) I will play Kit.

Hehehe your kit is pretty much like my szero... too bad people are not playing against me when I'm using a sub on a KOTH...

Noob question, how can I cancel the f4,1 ?