What's new

What's more practical - switching variation or switching character?

How are you doing it?

• One character, one variation

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • One character, all variations

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Several characters

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters

Plop

Noob
So when they announced the introduction of the variation system, Boons explaination of it was something along the lines of "Raiden A might be good against Scorpion B, but Scorpion A might be good against Raiden A blah blah blah".

This had us all thinking that instead of picking up secondty characters for our bad matchups, we could just simply switch variation.

In a lot of cases, this is true. Tyler finally managed to beat Derick for the first time on the Kombat Kast when he switched to Commando Kano, and we all lived happily ever ever.

But I personally find that switching variations fucks me up. I'm too used to how Cyber Kano plays and how his combos work. If I switch to Commando or Cutthroat, I always find myself trying to punish with 112xxdb1, which either gives me a parry or a regular knife slash (as opposed to ex) and that's no good.

So, I'd rather pick up an entirely different character. I've tried designating specific costumes to each variation but it's no use. Maybe it's just me, I dunno.

That being said though, I love the variation system and I think it's the best idea NRS have had in years. It gives me 3 chances to find a play style of my favourite character to work with. I'd have been devastated if Kano was put into the game, but didn't click with me.
For example, if the only version of Kano was Commando, is probably be maining someone else right now and feeling like 16bit did at the beginning of Injusttice's life.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I'm just curious. How many of you are mastering the 3 variations of your character and finding it ok to switch on the fly, how many of you have picked up secondaries and how many of you are just sticking with one variation of your character through the thick and thin?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Anyway, I'm rambling now. I'm just curious. How many of you are mastering the 3 variations of your character and finding it ok to switch on the fly, how many of you have picked up secondaries and how many of you are just sticking with one variation of your character through the thick and thin?
Technically variations exist to cover all possible matchups but this early on into the game I'm happy to become alright with one variation and look into the others later on. With Cassie I feel that Hollywood and Spec Ops covers everything though.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
i play all 3 of kotal's variations because I just love the character on every single level

i'll probably pick up another character i become comfortable with using as a supplement but yeah, just rock out your character's variations for the time being

KuralKing

Never forget The Great Ferra/Torr Scare!
Depends on the characters, some got their variation really diverse and unique from each other, while other are just the base character with one or two diferent move and sometime it will include a combo string!

I feel you on that one. I think kano is hard to switch variations between because really they are all so different. I main commando, and if I'm finding myself on a losing streak, I switch characters. If I switch to cyber, I can't help but put in commando inputs and combos and it screws me up. Switching characters entirely is easier to adjust to then these minor, yet very essential, changes to the character. So my verdict is: It's not you, it's kano.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I've played Outlaw Erron exclusively since the game came out. I fuck around with some alts of course but that's the only variation I would ever play in serious matches.

I'm working on using marksman to counterpick character like Full Auto Jacqui and Grandmaster Sub, I find it way easier than learning a completely new character and it has less of a risk of you getting counterpicked back and being clueless in the MU you now have to play. I like the idea of learning all your main's variations because a lot of them seem like they have niche uses. Nothing wrong with knowing your main as deeply as possible.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
the way I play my character depends heavily on the moves my variation covers, so I try don't really switch it up that much

D

Deleted member 9158

I use Summoner Quan and Warlock Quan, and it all depends on whether the opponent has a teleport.

Plop

Noob
I feel you on that one. I think kano is hard to switch variations between because really they are all so different. I main commando, and if I'm finding myself on a losing streak, I switch characters. If I switch to cyber, I can't help but put in commando inputs and combos and it screws me up. Switching characters entirely is easier to adjust to then these minor, yet very essential, changes to the character. So my verdict is: It's not you, it's kano.
See, that's what I love about this game. We main the same character, yet...we don't at all lol

D

Deleted member 9158

Doesn't your muscle memory ever fuck you up though?
Yup, sometimes. I'll occasionally do DF2 MB at the end of a combo in Summoner and drop my shit. Or I'll accidentally input F3 and just flail wildly

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Character, b/c most of their main specials are still usable in other variations somewhat. So if it doesnt work for you then switch out.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I like to use multiple characters, but I tend to find a favorite variation and stick with it every time I choose that character. My main is Piercing Mileena, but I also like to use Slasher Jason, Cryo Sub, Full Auto Jacqui, Outlaw Erron Black, Fisticuffs Johnny Cage, Dragon's Fire Liu Kang... And I'm still trying to figure out what I like on other characters. Eventually I want to be semi-decent with everyone. I can't stick to just one character because that gets boring.