What's new

What you say? PSX MKT has load times?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Well, most of us who know about EPSXE also know that you can throttle through load times by pressing the appropriate button, but depending on which plugin you use, it will keep the game at 200fps until you press it again.

Tonight I was messing around with Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9, and it allowed me to apply settings that

A. Ran the game correctly without slowdown even full screen
B. Adjust the frame rate to exactly 53.2 like UMK3 arcade (not 53 or 54 even)
C. Throttle
D. Assign Throttle to whatever button I want
E. Not have the menu gui on screen to use it

I made it + (add) for now. This works very well for me because my buttons are currently set up on the number pad but now I can change that as well to my default setup. In any event, when you press "+" and hold it, it increases the game's frame rate back to 60fps, but it also skips over all loading time. The other bonus is, it goes back to 53.2 once you release. For example, it takes about 7 seconds after the Vs Screen says loading to get to the match. If you press + now, you will see LOADING for 1 frame and it skips the rest. This is fantastic. Theoretically, you could use a program to map a specific option button on a pad or stick, perhaps start? and then assign that key to the same button. This becomes a bit convoluted but it is an option. You would then have a throttle button on the controller.

Another bonus would obviously be skipping fatality load time, between matches with the CPU, getting back the menu for mode of play, options, etc, all over the place, but the biggest use, is eliminating Shang Tsung morph load time. You would have to play the game at the original 60fps so far as I can tell to benefit from this, because you can merely hold down the key the entire time for "no load time mode." The problem here again, is if you want to play at 53fps, this is impossible without temporarily increasing the frame rate any time you want to morph. I will study this more to see if it's possible to maintain 53.2fps and hold the throttle button, but this is very good for the time being.

BeRB

Noob
That seems like a hassle for anything other then casuals, If you're gonna run it on PC anyways, Use PC Version we just need a good way of getting around input issues, Maybe a Joy2Key Config? Database? For different type of arcade sticks and pads as people need them they make them if someone hasn't posted one and post it so others can download it for ease of access of setting up? Sounds like a good way to me, I dislike XPADDER, Because on some sticks it won't allow you to assign trigger or bumper buttons. and If you try to set triggers as trigger instead of button it won't let you. We would just need the community to really pitch in for the Joy2Key configs.

However EPSXE, Does have a multiplayer kaillera like option. So i would love if we found a way of getting around the load times easier. That would be a dream come true for me.

dreemernj

Ambassador
A little bit of loading is no issue for tournament play. And even if you run MKT on a physical PSX loading time isn't that bad.

Shock, remember the CvS2 cab being restarted after every match? It still worked.

A few seconds here and there won't make much difference.

BeRB

Noob
A little bit of loading is no issue for tournament play. And even if you run MKT on a physical PSX loading time isn't that bad.

Shock, remember the CvS2 cab being restarted after every match? It still worked.

A few seconds here and there won't make much difference.
Ease of access is always nice, but i want to try the PSX more so for the emulator netplay, BeRB Is poor doesn't get a chance to travel! I like the PC version so much after tweaking and playing with it for a week or so, It feels so much smoother then either version it's heavenly plus if you're going to bring a cab might aswell do JOY2KEY with PC version you will only have to configure it once.

Ive also never seen or ran into that problem with a CVS2 cab? Strange or were you using that incident that you ran into as a example?

dreemernj

Ambassador
CvS2 was an example of load time not ruining a tournament. For whatever reason they rebooted the machine after every matchup.

Netplay on the psx version was fun the few times I tried it. Netplay on the PC version by tunneling through TCP/IP never seemed to work too well. But it's been a long time since I tried that.

As far as smoothness, PC and PSX should be equal. They are basically the same game. You can even copy the data files off the psx disc and into the PC MKT directory and they'll work.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Back in 2001 we went to our first tournament, I played in a CvS2 tournament where they had to reset the machine after every set because they didn't have a way to change the internal setting for 1 match for some reason. I don't know why. It was done on two machines but I think only one had the issue iirc, and there were like 132 people in the bracket.

Bottom line is, the loading time to get to a match can be reduced to 7 seconds between selecting the characters and getting the round started through normal means, but now at least for those who play it on EPSXE, there's a sort of streamlined, convenient way to breeze through it. I will play a lot more MKT this way that's for sure.

And remember if you play it on the standard 60fps, you just tape the button down or something, and you eliminate load time.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Seeing MKT on a high resolution monitor can be jarring. MKT for PSX and N64 are both incredibly low resolution.

BeRB

Noob
Ran what side by side? PC and PSX? It might depend on your computer, but they are the same.
I really don't think its my computer.

If 4GB with a 260GTX and 3.6GHZ Processor can't handle MKT for PC that was meant to run on DOS there was a problem with the game.

dreemernj

Ambassador
It's not about how powerful it is. It's more about how it handles ancient games and how an ultra-low-resolution game looks on your screen.

MKT for PC runs at approx. 320x228 I believe. Some video cards will upscale that very nicely. Others won't. It seems kind of random as to which will make it look beautiful and which will make it look like garbage.

BeRB

Noob
It's not about how powerful it is. It's more about how it handles ancient games and how an ultra-low-resolution game looks on your screen.

MKT for PC runs at approx. 320x228 I believe. Some video cards will upscale that very nicely. Others won't. It seems kind of random as to which will make it look beautiful and which will make it look like garbage.
Looks beautiful on my PC, Other then the issue everyones getting with some of the backdrops on fatalitys but, I believe thats due to a needed patch that i haven't installed. So i'm still using 1.0 Instead of 1.1, Im really loving the PC Version vs either Console, and i was hooked on N64 version i was defending it till death till i met PC version :)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
With the right plugins MKT will look pretty good on EPSXE and i think you need special video card settings to make it look good for PC. It's just pixelated no matter what otherwise. I am pretty sure PSX MKT is 320x240, the only graphical difference is the PC version cuts off the space below the characters where the extra screen area was created for the home versions reducing the vertical res a bit. Otherwise characters and objects are the same dimensions 1:1.

ded

Elder God
MKT PC Win on Nvidia 8600 GTS looks awesome at full screen, while with my current Nvidia 9800 its pixelated.

I also prefer the PC version but with the ePSXe plugin tools the PSX version seems to be better choice. It also has an extra animations on some arenas like Dead Pool and Wasteland.

Should be said, that there is a fan-made patched PC Win version, where someone added a lot of missing sounds (like Round X, and etc), i think it added higher resolution at full-screen too, but it still looks pixelated.

ded

Elder God
yeah, i think the latest version is 2.1. here are all the new features it has:

*Fixed sound for Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7
*Fixed round announcements
*Fixed USB joypad support
*Fixed bugs in Joystick dialog box
*Removed popup saying your graphics hardware should be set lower
*Removed files for DOS and Windows 9X play
*Removed old compatibility fix
*Updated miscellaneous text in the game
*Cleaned up application directory
*Misc changes to a few of the windows

http://home.comcast.net/~heavyweights/games/mkt/index.htm

BeRB

Noob
MKT PSX Emulation? Frame Rate?

The framerate shock said would fix loading issues and speed did not work, 53.2 was the framerate he had suggested, Finally got around to inserting my MKT disk and loading up epsxe

BeRB

Noob
f10 just pauses the game, Id love to try P2P Kaillera if someone else has the game too btw

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I merged those last posts into the existing thread.

Using the disc will not allow the loading times to work, it's gotta be an ISO, so make an ISO out of your disc.

Also, what plugin are you using? I use Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9 with the following settings:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce GTS 250/PCI/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 3
- Keep psx aspect ratio: on
- No render-to-texture:

- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 2
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 512 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 53.2

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 0
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: off
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 4/4
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

Under the Framerate section click the box with "..." in it, and you will see the GUI key configuration. I made the cpu menu "G" on the keyboard, which you don't really even need to access but if you want to look through that's it, plus other keys assigned there will tell you how to move about. It's very simplistic. What you want to do is select a specific key for "Turn FPS limit off when pressed" (takes place of throttle and is better IMO) which I made "+" indicated as "ADD" in the list. So when I play, I just press the + key during any point where it loads and hold it for just half a second. It bows through all load times. Now, if you don't mind playing on the full 60 fps, you can simply hold the key down with something the entire time you play. I have not yet found a way to maintain 53.2 fps and hold down the throttle key.

For sound I use Pete's DSound PSX SPU Audio Driver 1.10, this could be a factor as I noticed when I messed around with others, it lagged the game and throttle no longer worked.

BeRB

Noob
Your settings in visuals makes the game look like crap, Lol

Still tinkering my settings for better visuals and faster loads