What's new

What version of UMK3 arcade was I playing? (slower h. smoke)

Last night my cousin and I made a trip out to Arcade Legacy here in Cincinnati... They have a UMK3 arcade machine there, and I haven't played on a machine in years. It's actually a converted MK4 machine, still has the MK4 CP Layout and side art, and the buttons were convex instead of concave...it wasn't incredibly comfortable but I got used to it.

Since it was the first time I'd played on an actual cabinet in years, it took some adjusting, and while my best guys playing on a pad are both Smokes and Ermac, I found I was very good on my OG's from when MK3 first came out in the arcades years ago: Cyrax and C.Sub. The first combo pulled with Cyrax was near bomb, roundhouse into bomb explosion, aaHP, aaHP, jump kick. 5 hits 57% damage.

But the weird thing was I wasn't getting the combos out with Human Smoke the way I did playing on both MKAK for PS3 and MAME (juggernaut). It's really easy on both of those to do the HK LP aaHP Spear juggle. Last night on this cabinet I could barely reach with the aaHP. Almost like doing a HK LP aaHP with Ermac. Was there a version of UMK3 that had Smoke with a slower/normal walking speed? Something up with the stick? User error (most likely)?

I LOVED playing on a cabinet, though. Brings back memories.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Last night my cousin and I made a trip out to Arcade Legacy here in Cincinnati... They have a UMK3 arcade machine there, and I haven't played on a machine in years. It's actually a converted MK4 machine, still has the MK4 CP Layout and side art, and the buttons were convex instead of concave...it wasn't incredibly comfortable but I got used to it.

Since it was the first time I'd played on an actual cabinet in years, it took some adjusting, and while my best guys playing on a pad are both Smokes and Ermac, I found I was very good on my OG's from when MK3 first came out in the arcades years ago: Cyrax and C.Sub. The first combo pulled with Cyrax was near bomb, roundhouse into bomb explosion, aaHP, aaHP, jump kick. 5 hits 57% damage.

But the weird thing was I wasn't getting the combos out with Human Smoke the way I did playing on both MKAK for PS3 and MAME (juggernaut). It's really easy on both of those to do the HK LP aaHP Spear juggle. Last night on this cabinet I could barely reach with the aaHP. Almost like doing a HK LP aaHP with Ermac. Was there a version of UMK3 that had Smoke with a slower/normal walking speed? Something up with the stick? User error (most likely)?

I LOVED playing on a cabinet, though. Brings back memories.
been there, love that place. Pretty sure Jesse has the most common of UMK3 boards, which is running UMK3 1.1. It might just be the controls that were throwing you off. Last time I played on it, it needed some new parts.

btw, the MKAK ports are terrible, so don't judge or compare them to anything lol. And none of the emulated roms plays 100% like the game does running right off the jamma board.

Are the MKAK ports THAT bad? :-\ MAME is closer, I presume?

Yeah, that place is awesome...been trying to get over there for like 5 months. I love the little Astro City sit down machines that have SF alpha 2 and SSF4...but ssf4 was down

Tim Static

Adminerator
Are the MKAK ports THAT bad? :-\ MAME is closer, I presume?

Yeah, that place is awesome...been trying to get over there for like 5 months. I love the little Astro City sit down machines that have SF alpha 2 and SSF4...but ssf4 was down
yea, MKAK is bad. Arcade 1st, then MAME roms.

make sure you try out Windjammers on one of their astros. best 1v1 game ever made lol

nwo

Noob
MAME is clearly way faster than MKAK. I'd have to play on an arcade cabinet to understand what some people are talking about, when they say its much better than MAME. I play on an analog TV with very little delay and a powerful PC, but I'm still trying to find a cab in my area to compare it with. Its been so long since I've played on one, so maybe my memory just needs to be refreshed.

intruder

Noob
Hi,
due to my experience with my arcade MK Midway Cab i can say that this problem is most
caused by worn out switches of the stick, just tell the guy from the Arcade and he could easy change it.
Costs about 1.5$ each and ten minutes time.
But be warned... with brand new switches it plays little "strange" to ;)
After about some hours of playing they will feel perfect.

Greetings