What's new

Question What to do on wakeup?

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
So, ive basically been starting Adam, and I dont really know what to do when im knocked down and the opponent is right in my face.
Any tips?

Not much you can do. Tech roll back, back dash, or attempt a Lightning Cage but it will probably get stuffed. If they are jumping over you after knocking you down, dashing can be effective.

Black Adam's backdash is amazing. Don't underestimate it. It can be hard and risky for many characters to chase down roll + backdash. They can run into your pokes or dive kick if they try something too crazy. So usually they'll just do a high/low mixup or try an ambiguous cross-up. Backdash has a good chance of escaping those but not always. Sometimes you'll get hit out of the air but will take minimal damage.

Of course in the corner it's another story. Jumping is what they expect you to do. So here your best bet is to just pushblock or keep blocking. Wait for an opening like a negative string and insert your d1 xx Lightning Storm. This will knockdown on hit and allow you to escape the corner. On block, it will at least push them a bit away from you so you have more room to breathe. d2 is also pretty good since it's a 7f launcher.

Of course if your opponent is getting a bit predictable with his offense/mixups you can try an armored b3/f3 MB and get a combo.

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
I find that if someone is staying in your face enough that its causing you to not be able to do anything but block its best to just man up and burn some meter to push block them away. I dont really use adam, but I imagine a push block straight into a orbed dive kick would be great to stop the rush down for a moment to reset yourself and square up to fight back

EDIT: I dont really like using the meter to armor a b3 because if they are pressuring off the knockdown a cross up plus the start of any combo that cross up links with busts my shit and its the most likely think they well do. Knowing in your head that you are going to push block gives 10 years to change up the direction in case they do throw out the cross up

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Tech roll any knockdown you can, and backdash. If they are hitting the air you want to black magic them for a full combo.

None of your wakeups have much invincibility so you will just get stuffed trying them. Best bet is to try and block something if you have to, and then poke out with 6 frame 1 or d1.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Tech roll any knockdown you can, and backdash. If they are hitting the air you want to black magic them for a full combo.

None of your wakeups have much invincibility so you will just get stuffed trying them. Best bet is to try and block something if you have to, and then poke out with 6 frame 1 or d1.
Lightning Cage is a wake up.

ApertureBlack

Lightning cage doesn't seem to wakeup well as its startup is bad, the 1 And the d1 both seem good, but what does d1 lead into?

ApertureBlack

The two may come together sometimes, but most of the time black magic has too long of a start up. Anything more safe?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
The two may come together sometimes, but most of the time black magic has too long of a start up. Anything more safe?
Lightning hands is his best wakeup in my opinion. I have pretty good success with it. But most wake ups in this game are not free so youre better off not using it too often.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Lightning hands is his best wakeup in my opinion. I have pretty good success with it. But most wake ups in this game are not free so youre better off not using it too often.
one thing to remember is that lightning hands are vulnerable for 7f before they come out while waking up with them

ApertureBlack

Currently, Im just poking with d1 and dashing/jumping away. It seems to be the best bet to relocate yourself.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
Block. Best pick in all situations. If they try to pressure you on your wake up just block until you see an opening in their blockstring and throw out a d1 into lightning hands. I usually will do that unless I'm getting pressured super hard and I think I'm going to die, then just yolo backdash.